Melbourne Football

Tim Cahill

Murfy1

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/tim-cahill-signing-a-huge-coup-for-australian-football-and-socceroos-star-has-eyes-on-another-world-cup/news-story/05a2d27df1c098a555db59fc11c1cfb5

Tim Cahill signing a huge coup for Australian football and Socceroos star has eyes on another World Cup

Former Uruguayan star Diego Forlan is being chased by several A-League clubs while former Dutch World Cup star Rafael van der Vaart is another that’s come on the radar.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/tim-cahill-signing-a-huge-coup-for-australian-football-and-socceroos-star-has-eyes-on-another-world-cup/news-story/05a2d27df1c098a555db59fc11c1cfb5

Tim Cahill signing a huge coup for Australian football and Socceroos star has eyes on another World Cup

Former Uruguayan star Diego Forlan is being chased by several A-League clubs while former Dutch World Cup star Rafael van der Vaart is another that’s come on the radar.

Van der Vaart's off to Midtjylland

3 hours ago, belaguttman said:

No, we still need a Maltese signing to attract the Maltese community

That's what Manny Muscat was signed for.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy said:

1st Season - Guest Player, front loaded wage paid by FFA

2nd Season - Under the cap

Would seem to make 'guest' player a bit of a joke if so. Maybe the other marquee didn't pan out? Also I can't see the FFA being happy to subsidise a player who was then cheap enough to go under the cap. Perhaps we'll get Cahill for two seasons (one guest, one marquee) and this mysterious other marquee for just one season? Feeling increasingly dubious about the whole thing though. 

36 minutes ago, Kinnibari said:

Would seem to make 'guest' player a bit of a joke if so. Maybe the other marquee didn't pan out? Also I can't see the FFA being happy to subsidise a player who was then cheap enough to go under the cap. Perhaps we'll get Cahill for two seasons (one guest, one marquee) and this mysterious other marquee for just one season? Feeling increasingly dubious about the whole thing though. 

This saga has more twists and turns than a country lane. I shall piss myself with laughing if he's actually signed for NYC and not us. And I won't be sure he's signed for us until I see it either from TC himself or Melbourne City.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

This saga has more twists and turns than a country lane. I shall piss myself with laughing if he's actually signed for NYC and not us. And I won't be sure he's signed for us until I see it either from TC himself or Melbourne City.

Yes i tend to agree but i am going to draw a long bow here and say those photos of him in NYC he looked to be wearing our new training kit (without seeing the badge on it) 

14 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Yes i tend to agree but i am going to draw a long bow here and say those photos of him in NYC he looked to be wearing our new training kit (without seeing the badge on it) 

I agree, but I note the media other than the Hun is playing it very cautiously and using the word "reportedly" wherever it can.

It was 100% our training kit, fun story on that, was told this by a staff member of the club. 

We are a "second tier" club with Nike ATM (it's based on tenure) and therefore didn't get to choose the colour. When the new training gear came in JVS went into Munn's office and said "Scott I am a good looking man but even I can not pull this colour off" 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

There is absolutely zero chance that Tim Cahill would sign for the direct rivals of a club he used to play for

5 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

It was 100% our training kit, fun story on that, was told this by a staff member of the club. 

We are a "second tier" club with Nike ATM (it's based on tenure) and therefore didn't get to choose the colour. When the new training gear came in JVS went into Munn's office and said "Scott I am a good looking man but even I can not pull this colour off" 

tenure as in years? or something else? I guess that means we will just get a template kit this season too and also explains our lack of merch

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Would be worth it just for the reaction from the FFA and this forum.

#forgetskyblue #foodchain #4weekstintthenbackinnewyorkfotphotos

Tim Cahill set to make his A-League debut in blockbuster Melbourne derby in Round 2

David Davutovic

7 August, 2016

TIM Cahill’s looks set to make his A-League debut in the Round 2 Melbourne derby blockbuster at Etihad Stadium.

The Herald Sun revealed on Sunday that Cahill was on the verge of being announced as Melbourne City’s star new signing.

Cahill, 36, is understood to have agreed a multi-year, multimillion-dollar deal with Melbourne City and will be unveiled this week.

City is scheduled to play Wellington Phoenix away in the opening round of the A-League season, which is sandwiched between two Socceroos World Cup qualifiers.

Cahill is almost certain to be picked by Ange Postecoglou for Soceroos matches on October 6 away to Saudi Arabia, which is two days before the Phoenix clash, and the crucial October 11 qualifier against Japan at Etihad Stadium.

Victory hosts City at the same venue four days later, before John van ’t Schip’s side hosts Perth Glory in Round 3.

Cahill passed a medical at City’s sister club New York City, where he was snapped with the club’s stars Frank Lampard, Andrea Pirlo and David Villa.

Melbourne City remained tight-lipped when approached by the Herald Sun regarding the Cahill deal.

“We do not comment on media speculation relating to player transfers,” a City spokesman said.

FFA is likely to subsidise Cahill’s deal with cash from its recently announced guest player fund, although negotiations between the three parties continues as Cahill’s third-party commercial agreements are still being negotiated.

It’s believed that up to $1m is available for the guest fund, which is available for clubs to tap into.

“Talks are continuing with Tim Cahill and his management as well as several other clubs in relation to the Marquee Fund, but it’s difficult to make commentary about individual cases where clubs are in negotiations with players,” an FFA spokesman said.

Cahill remains in New York with his family but is expected in Melbourne within days.

The Socceroos’ record goal scorer most recently played with Chinese Super League club Huangzhou Greentown, where he scored four goals in 17 games.

Cahill is believed to have rejected a contract extension offer from Huangzhou in favour returning to the A-League, where he will continue his quest to play on until the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

The former Everton star, who’s scored 47 goals in 91 Socceroos games, has never played senior soccer domestically after leaving Australia as a teenager to pursue his professional dream by joining Millwall.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/tim-cahill-set-to-make-his-aleague-debut-in-blockbuster-melbourne-derby-in-round-2/news-story/04a1b96401775b4895803aac87fb7a9c

Tim Cahill to sign two-year deal with Melbourne City for $7m

Ray Gatt

August 8, 2016

It’s been a long time coming but Australian soccer could be just days away from a formal announcement that Socceroos legend Tim Cahill will be playing in the A-League this season.

Reports on Saturday suggested negotiations between Cahill and Melbourne City have been completed and that he recently underwent a medical with MLS sister club, New York City, during a visit.

It is believed he has agreed to a two-year deal worth $3.5 million a season, making him the highest paid player in Australian sport and second highest paid player in A-League history behind Italian star Alessandro Del Piero, who received $8m for his two-year stint with Sydney FC several seasons ago.

The official announcement of Cahill’s signing is expected within the next 72 hours.

The Australian exclusively revealed that Cahill was in negotiations with Melbourne City on June 6 before reporting on June 17 that the deal was imminent.

Suggestions Australia’s greatest goalscorer was indeed heading back home surfaced last week when Cahill indicated on social media that he had finished his stint in China, where he spent the past 18 months playing with Shanghai Shenhua and Hangzhou Greentown.

While he has also been linked with clubs in the Middle East and even a return to the English Premier League, it is understood City was always upper most in his mind. However, negotiations with the A-League club took a little longer to complete.

Football Federation Australia will contribute as much as $1m towards Cahill’s contract as part of its marquee fighting fund.

Melbourne City, who already have the two allowed marquee players, are able to sign Cahill after the A-League clubs agreed two months ago to alter the guest player rule. Previously a guest player could only play 14 matches, but that has been changed to the whole season to enable the club to sign him. It is now being described as the Cahill Rule.

Photographs surfaced on Saturday showing Cahill at the New York City club where he underwent a medical before mixing with the players.

Cahill’s signing will be a massive boost on and off the field for Melbourne City, who have struggled to get a foothold in their local market due to the presence of the powerful Melbourne Victory.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/tim-cahill-to-sign-twoyear-deal-with-melbourne-city-for-7m/news-story/35e3a65b0794e09b0860c9468d7dfef7

Cahill a giant leap forward for City

By Sebastian Hassett

8 AUG 2016

Well done, Melboune City. Well done Tim Cahill. And well done to the “big boss man”, David Gallop.

It’s been a brutal, savage and drawn out set of negotiations - and I know none of them will want to go through it again. But it was worth it in the end.

Since The World Game exclusively broke the story that Cahill had agreed to join City last month, there’s been plenty of pushing and pulling on all sides. Everyone wants a pound of flesh and then some and that that's no surprise given all parties - player, club, federation - have so much on the line.

At the time, we were told it should take no more than a week to tidy it all up. In fact, one week has stretched to four, and, officially, we’re still waiting.

But all that stands between Cahill and an AAMI Park next season is finding him a spot in the Etihad Airways first class cabin for the flight from New York to Melbourne.

He’s done his medical, curiously, with New York City FC - the arch-rivals of New York Red Bulls, who he starred with during his spell in Major League Soccer.

But these are the tentacles of the City Football Group, ones which stretch so far and wide that even Frank Lampard was coaxed into a season in Manchester before heading across the Atlantic.

My sources tell me that Cahill’s exact arrival date here is a mystery but that his uneviling will be “smartly timed”. The FFA will push for that it lands on a date when there is little media traffic.

One insider even noted that the AFL will lose considerable traction in their “rest week” before the finals, when no game will be played for at least 12 days.

The FFA and City may push for the last Monday in August - the day after the final round of the AFL season - to unveil Cahill in his new city.

The extra beauty of that is that with the Olympics over, there will be a real opportunity to create an enormous groundswell of interest, not just in the media, but in selling sponsorships and memberships.

However, that’s still another few weeks away, and they may not have the luxury of waiting until then. Can they keep the lid on that long?

The other question worth pondering is about Cahill’s future striker partner - or rival - Bruno Fornaroli. Not only is the Uruguayan the obvious first choice but he still hasn’t signed his new deal.

One suspects he’ll be waiting for some iron-clad guarantees before putting pen to paper - and who could blame him?

It would seem unlikely the two could play in the same team and even less likely that coach John van’t Schip would deploy a 4-4-2 to accommodate them both. It will be an intriguing tactical question as the season nears.

Still, it’s one step ahead of ourselves for now. That Cahill is coming back is a massive feather in the cap for the A-League.

For all the naysayers out there, I hear you. Your point is valid, too. There is a lot that can go wrong with this deal and plenty of questionable logic has seen it get to this point. 

But those unhappy need to look at the bigger picture. Cahill is big business and - this is a line I continue to maintain - the only Australian footballer with mainstream cut-through.

Every man, woman and child knows "our Tim". And if he’s playing here, that’s buying real estate on mainstream national news bulletins right around the country.

If he actually does quite well, it could have a game-changing impact on City. They’ll be able to attract the support they clearly lack and hopefully convert those curious onlookers into rusted-on fans.

It is worth noting that Sydney FC achieved record membership when Alessandro Del Piero first signed - and have duly broken it every year after. Don’t underestimate the residual staying power of the big names.

And as we all know, this is the year the A-League has to make a splash on TV. The rights are up for grabs at the end of the year and the FFA is banking on making a huge sum of money. Cahill gives them that clout at the table.

Some will be unhappy at seeing him here - the perceived "special treatment" in particular - but I urge everyone to give him a chance. Our most famous Socceroos is coming home to play in our league. It's been too long since we could say that.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/blog/2016/08/08/cahill-giant-leap-forward-city

Edited by Murfy1

Just now, Tesla said:

Ffs this bloke is now gonna act like he did the league a favour by signing for us when at $3.5m a season even clubs in China wouldn't match that Vi$ion for him at 36 years old.

Much truth in this, unfortunately. On the bright side I'm I'm glad the attention will be on us, and hopefully that will be coupled, by some fluke, JVS taking the club to a title.   

Anyway I have no doubt Cahill has the ability to be a good player in the A-League even at his age, my main concern is this looks like a signing made completely for marketing reasons. I doubt JVS was interested in adding a player similar to Cahill to his roster, and the signing only came up because the FFA shopped him around to whatever team would pay the money and we only paid it to extort concessions from the FFA like the kit colour change.

So the questions are

Is he going to fit into JVS' plan?

If he doesn't, can JVS drop him or is he forced to play him?

Does this signing now give JVS another excuse, since it could be a case of a player being forced on him?

Assuming we're still signing another marquee, I have no issue with the money since it seems just like a 'bonus' investment into our team from CFG that we wouldnt have gotten otherwise, but:

Are we actually still signing another marquee or is this where our marquee money has gone?

If CFG can put up the money for Cahill, why didnt they put up significantly less to sack JVS which would impact our on-field results more?

The most troubling aspects of this are outside of our club though.

The FFA are now basically a complete joke, an organisation of disrepute, they've bent every rule to make this happen, we'd be all pretty disgusted by this if it wasn't our team signing him.

The FFA abandon what seemed an important policy of theirs on team colours and branding if we paid for Cahill, does this mean that all FFA rules are now for sale at the right price?

They have completely discredited the salary cap by making ad hoc changes to it so one team can sign a player (not like this is the first time this kind of shit has happened either), so again is it a matter of pay enough and we'll change the rules?

Does the salary cap even mean anything if it can be changed when a team is willing to bribe the FFA with enough money?

Is it fair that a team like Perth has suffered severe punishments for breaching the salary cap when the cap really means nothing if you can bribe the FFA enough?

Why throw away the last remaining slither of integrity the FFA had now for Cahill, when it would have been less dodgy, less costly for the FFA, and provided more benefits to the league if they allowed Lampard to sign a couple of years ago?

A lot of unusual goings on overall when it comes to this deal. Very different story if it was simply a situation of JVS wanting a guy like Cahill in his team, the CFG overlords seeing it as a good signing from a marketing perceptive as well and paying for him to be one of our two marquees. But that is not how it's gone down at all.

I suppose only time will tell if it was worth it all both for the club and the FFA/A-League.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 4

Tesla I agree completely with you. All I could offer in FFA's defence is that at least they now realise that their previous stand on Lampard was a lost opportunity and have hopefully learned from their mistake. FFA probably also realise that if we had Cahill as an additional marquee as well as a good coach then we would have an unfair advantage but they realise that JVS will handicap us back to the rest of the field

3 hours ago, Tesla said:

The most troubling aspects of this are outside of our club though.

The FFA are now basically a complete joke, an organisation of disrepute, they've bent every rule to make this happen, we'd be all pretty disgusted by this if it wasn't our team signing him.

The FFA abandon what seemed an important policy of theirs on team colours and branding if we paid for Cahill, does this mean that all FFA rules are now for sale at the right price?

They have completely discredited the salary cap by making ad hoc changes to it so one team can sign a player (not like this is the first time this kind of shit has happened either), so again is it a matter of pay enough and we'll change the rules?

Does the salary cap even mean anything if it can be changed when a team is willing to bribe the FFA with enough money?

Is it fair that a team like Perth has suffered severe punishments for breaching the salary cap when the cap really means nothing if you can bribe the FFA enough?

Why throw away the last remaining slither of integrity the FFA had now for Cahill, when it would have been less dodgy, less costly for the FFA, and provided more benefits to the league if they allowed Lampard to sign a couple of years ago?

Sadly,Tesla, long before you reach the age that I am you will have realised that there is nothing that cannot be bought with money.  Nothing whatsoever.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

So this two year deal means his a Marquee signing rather than the Guest "Cahill rule" signing. 

No it doesnt. It means he's in the guest spot for this season, with next season tba pending on whether the guest rule exists next season.