Melbourne Football

Daniel Arzani

jeffplz

12 minutes ago, bt50 said:

His attitude stinks by all reports and it seems very much the case that he's going to fall on his own sword. Not even sure i want him back here at this point in time tbh, although it would def hurt a bit to see him playing for someone else too.

better to have him then not cause when he's on he's unstoppable. Think he's contract with  Man City is up at the end of the season. interesting to see if they renew it. 

19 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I'd also add that maybe he is as mentally weak as we thought he was. 

He came back from an ACL rupture and that takes resolve. Maybe the well is dry though.

Strikes me as a guy who needs everything going right and potentially as someone who needs a fair bit of attention from the manager. For us he was a bit of a fan favourite/wonderkid, someone we all wanted to see week in week out, someone who Joyce thought could go places and was nurturing. But maybe when he's in an environment where he's just another kid with talent and the memories of the WC performance are distant, he struggles.

The injury undoubtedly changed his trajectory but I always thought, and continue to think, that he left too young and inexperienced. I've said this many, many times but there's no shame in staying here for a few seasons and cementing yourself as a good player who can hold his own against seasoned, experienced pros. It's a tough league but it's a good test for young players.

I fully expect him to come back to Australia and rebuild his career. The question is where.

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

He came back from an ACL rupture and that takes resolve. Maybe the well is dry though.

Strikes me as a guy who needs everything going right and potentially as someone who needs a fair bit of attention from the manager. For us he was a bit of a fan favourite/wonderkid, someone we all wanted to see week in week out, someone who Joyce thought could go places and was nurturing. But maybe when he's in an environment where he's just another kid with talent and the memories of the WC performance are distant, he struggles.

The injury undoubtedly changed his trajectory but I always thought, and continue to think, that he left too young and inexperienced. I've said this many, many times but there's no shame in staying here for a few seasons and cementing yourself as a good player who can hold his own against seasoned, experienced pros. It's a tough league but it's a good test for young players.

I fully expect him to come back to Australia and rebuild his career. The question is where.

IMO the club should try and get him back here for one season to give him the chance to rebuild his career. I think City fans would be really pissed off (again) to see him elsewhere in the A-League. FMD, I'd rather see him as a failure with us than playing against us, and he couldn't be any worse than Berenguer.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO the club should try and get him back here for one season to give him the chance to rebuild his career. I think City fans would be really pissed off (again) to see him elsewhere in the A-League. FMD, I'd rather see him as a failure with us than playing against us, and he couldn't be any worse than Berenguer.

He is unlikely to be worse than Wales who we put up with for a number of years.

• Like 1

If he comes back to A League which personally I think would be a mistake, surely he would play for a Sydney club being a Sydney boy and all.

For me I think he needs to tough it out in Europe and prove to everyone including himself that he is more than a talented kid.

55 minutes ago, Jovan said:

If he comes back to A League which personally I think would be a mistake, surely he would play for a Sydney club being a Sydney boy and all.

For me I think he needs to tough it out in Europe and prove to everyone including himself that he is more than a talented kid.

Which European league?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Plenty, doesn't even need to first division. 

He needs 30 to 50 games. 

Arzani as talented as he is,has never played a full 90 minutes of senior competitive football in his career. This might be something we often forget.

27 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Arzani as talented as he is,has never played a full 90 minutes of senior competitive football in his career. This might be something we often forget.

Exactly, he needs games.

He would definitely get a contract in the A League and probably end up being a decent player, but to fulfill what most people regard his ability he "should" be at a higher level. The only way would be playing regular.

Will he be prepared to struggle or will he take the easier option?

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

Plenty, doesn't even need to first division. 

He needs 30 to 50 games. 

Why would a league take on Arzani? First, he is a foreigner(that is non-EU), secondly he has not succeeded in Scotland, Netherlands or Denmark, third has an injury history and fourth as noted above lacks the engine to play 90 minutes. Then there is the question mark over his attitude/mental head space.

If you are a development league why wouldn't you take your own nationals first? followed by other EU youths? What would you do different that will enable Arzani to develop the engine or at the least become a successful impact player?

So he goes to a Greek third division or Hungarian second division: How is that better than the A-League?

The number of games he gets will be dependent on his performance.

38 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Why would a league take on Arzani? First, he is a foreigner(that is non-EU), secondly he has not succeeded in Scotland, Netherlands or Denmark, third has an injury history and fourth as noted above lacks the engine to play 90 minutes. Then there is the question mark over his attitude/mental head space.

If you are a development league why wouldn't you take your own nationals first? followed by other EU youths? What would you do different that will enable Arzani to develop the engine or at the least become a successful impact player?

So he goes to a Greek third division or Hungarian second division: How is that better than the A-League?

The number of games he gets will be dependent on his performance.

So just give up a come back to the A League, become another Da Silva or Brattan or Maclaren, now before anyone gets fired up, they are all decent players that failed in Europe and came back and proved to be above average A League players , but Arzani was touted as a once in a generation player.

He might come back and do well and get a big move in his late 20s like Mooy, but I'll  say it again, I think he needs to persist with playing in Europe. 

And this opinion is solely based on what an old man who never made it as pro player thinks.

On 04/03/2021 at 11:40 AM, Le Hack said:

24 years old now. Played in 52 senior games now for 3 goals 6 assists.  Of those 2 goals were with us from his 16 gamess. Not unstoppable stats to me, even when with us.

22 actually. Born January 1999.

Still young enough to play in the NYL.

57 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

22 actually. Born January 1999.

Still young enough to play in the NYL.

Yes. But he's entering Kamau territory if he and his management aren't very careful. IMO he HAS to get a performance history under his belt if he's going to reverse the downward slide. All he's getting now is a reputation.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Yes. But he's entering Kamau territory if he and his management aren't very careful. IMO he HAS to get a performance history under his belt if he's going to reverse the downward slide. All he's getting now is a reputation.

Oh yes.

but the other poster said he was 24 which is wrong (but If true would mean his career  was approaching life support).

I hear what @Jovan says but if he can’t make an impression these coming few months he’ll have to come home. As for “toughing it out” that’s what he needs to do this season. If he does return to the A League he’ll still have to earn his spot and if he has the wrong attitude it’ll be next stop State League 1.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jovan said:

So just give up a come back to the A League, become another Da Silva or Brattan or Maclaren, now before anyone gets fired up, they are all decent players that failed in Europe and came back and proved to be above average A League players , but Arzani was touted as a once in a generation player.

He might come back and do well and get a big move in his late 20s like Mooy, but I'll  say it again, I think he needs to persist with playing in Europe. 

And this opinion is solely based on what an old man who never made it as pro player thinks.

I disagree. What he needs most is game time. He risks getting too old with only a handful of games under his belt.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, malloy said:

I disagree. What he needs most is game time. He risks getting too old with only a handful of games under his belt.

And how is he going to get game time? Is he expecting it to be given to him on a platter? or is it a question of developing the right attitude, frame of mind and hard work? So far at teh European clubs he has been, he hasn't got the game time. The suggestion is that he finds a club that will give him game time in Europe. That sounds to me like he deserves to be given game time on a platter.

12 hours ago, NewConvert said:

And how is he going to get game time? Is he expecting it to be given to him on a platter? or is it a question of developing the right attitude, frame of mind and hard work? So far at teh European clubs he has been, he hasn't got the game time. The suggestion is that he finds a club that will give him game time in Europe. That sounds to me like he deserves to be given game time on a platter.

The suggestion is that he 'slum it' in a league that he thinks is beneath him to significantly improve his chances of being a starting player and this can't be as a loan player. Right now, even if he does work hard he is likely to only get small substitute appearances. If he wants to come close to reaching his potential he needs 70+ mins every week. Regardless of where he goes he will still have to work otherwise he will just end up back in Aus in the NPL.

Edited by malloy

7 hours ago, malloy said:

The suggestion is that he 'slum it' in a league that he thinks is beneath him to significantly improve his chances of being a starting player and this can't be as a loan player. Right now, even if he does work hard he is likely to only get small substitute appearances. If he wants to come close to reaching his potential he needs 70+ mins every week. Regardless of where he goes he will still have to work otherwise he will just end up back in Aus in the NPL.

I think that is my point. Simply because a league is in Europe does not automatically make it superior to our A-League. Sure the big four leagues and their second/third divisions may be above the A-League, and teh second rank countries are also above but then he starts walking into A-League territory. And the A-League does offer some advantages for him: he is a known quantity in Australia, if he plays in NSW then he will be closer to family, he gets closer to a socceroos berth and so on.

7 hours ago, malloy said:

I agree that a footballer need 70+ minutes of game time every week. In effect, if you're a player and get precious few minutes, or none at all, you are like someone who is unemployed. A couple of years or so unemployed and many people become unemployable, and that is what Daniel is facing if his next move isn't into a football environment - club and league - where if he works as hard as his teammates he's going to get those 70+ minutes.

What he's doing now is slowly going down the scale with no chance of arresting the slide and getting his career back on track.

I can't comment on his "attitude" but prima facie it appears that neither his manager or his employer (Manchester City) are doing much to help him, or, alternatively, they're trying to get him moving again but he's taking no notice. I find it difficult to believe that its' the latter - this is a guy who played at the World Cup. Surely he'd want to reach the top again?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...