Melbourne Football

Daniel Arzani

jeffplz

12 hours ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

I think its different for every player. A lot of our best players left Australia as teenagers without playing any senior Aleague/NSL football: Kewell, Cahill, Moore, Skoko, Neill,  etc. many others left for Europe after only playing 1 season and not establishing themselves.

I think he was ready to move to Europe, he was taking the piss in the A League. He was on another level completely - He made his contemporaries like McGree look ordinary. And at the WC he clearly outperformed Kruse, Rogic and Leckie.

The poor guy lost almost 2 full seasons to injury at Celtic. At Utrecht he is completing for a first team place with Eljero Elia and they had a coaching change in November. Utrecht was an odd choice of club because they traditionally play a disciplined, physical, blue-collar style of football. I doubt City currently care about his development since he will probably move for a free when his contract expires in June.

If he stays injury free he will have an impact in Europe and for the Socceroos. He can do things on the field that no other Australian has been able to do for a long, long time.

It is definitely a case by case issue. For example, just as many stayed for a few seasons before moving: Viduka, Bresciano, Grella, Schwarzer, Chipperfield, Vidmar. Depends on a few factors. I like the idea of kids going over there with a proper foundation and knowing the realities of senior football. It builds resilience and maturity. 

I’m a fan of Arzani but to say he was taking the piss might be a stretch. He really needed to learn other aspects of the game. Don’t get me wrong, his numbers were promising and his ability to beat players was remarkable, but I’d have liked to see him stay for another season and lift his output offensively and round out his game.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harrison said:

It is definitely a case by case issue. For example, just as many stayed for a few seasons before moving: Viduka, Bresciano, Grella, Schwarzer, Chipperfield, Vidmar. Depends on a few factors. I like the idea of kids going over there with a proper foundation and knowing the realities of senior football. It builds resilience and maturity. 

I’m a fan of Arzani but to say he was taking the piss might be a stretch. He really needed to learn other aspects of the game. Don’t get me wrong, his numbers were promising and his ability to beat players was remarkable, but I’d have liked to see him stay for another season and lift his output offensively and round out his game.

Agree with this.

I would love the club to bring him back.

We seem to have forgotten that he couldn’t play a full 90minutes, excellent going forward but lacked the defensive cover.

Now that we seem to be locking in our defensive for the next years I would really want us to focus going forward, the lack creativity still needs to be addressed.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Agree with this.

I would love the club to bring him back.

We seem to remember that he couldn’t play a full 90minutes, excellent going forward but lacked the defensive cover.

Now that we seem to be locking in our defensive for the next years I would really want us to focus going forward, the lack creativity still needs to be addressed.

I think you mean "we forget" that he couldn't last more than about 70 minutes...I would love to see him back too. Exciting player, one of "ours" - the latter so important if we really want to build a club with loyal supporters.

Agree we have an awful lack of creativity going forward - can't think what we were doing sending Najjarine on loan.

• Like 1

I thought he went to Europe too early. 
Not really thinking about age or football,  his physical condition was poor.

Kid was only good for 50 minutes tops. He needed a year of solid development under his belt and given his low fitness base he was a serious injury risk if it wasn’t managed well. 
What’s done is done, but after one pretty bad fuck up he can’t afford another one. Needs to get fit + strong and play Regularly otherwise he’ll just be a name in a tough trivia quiz.

• Like 1

Arnold has also issued a warning to youngster Daniel Arzani, who is set to make an early exit on a loan move to FC Utrecht following a lack of game time.

The 22-year-old has managed just 669 senior club minutes since his cameo roles for Australia at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia and Arnold says if he leaves Holland, his next move has to be carefully considered.

"I feel he's at the crossroads of his career," Arnold said.

"Even when he was here in Australia, he wasn't playing 90 minutes regularly at Melbourne City. He was coming off the bench, or he was starting and coming off.

"It's just so important that his next move is a move where he's going to play."

I am hopeful he comes back but doubt he would fit under the cap. His manager would not want him to devalue himself by accepting lower wages. Although if he plays his stocks would at least be stable. 

imo get rid of Berenguer or Noone and bring him in in Feb transfer window. 

25 minutes ago, citymad said:

Arnold has also issued a warning to youngster Daniel Arzani, who is set to make an early exit on a loan move to FC Utrecht following a lack of game time.

The 22-year-old has managed just 669 senior club minutes since his cameo roles for Australia at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia and Arnold says if he leaves Holland, his next move has to be carefully considered.

"I feel he's at the crossroads of his career," Arnold said.

"Even when he was here in Australia, he wasn't playing 90 minutes regularly at Melbourne City. He was coming off the bench, or he was starting and coming off.

"It's just so important that his next move is a move where he's going to play."

I am hopeful he comes back but doubt he would fit under the cap. His manager would not want him to devalue himself by accepting lower wages. Although if he plays his stocks would at least be stable. 

imo get rid of Berenguer or Noone and bring him in in Feb transfer window. 

Get rid of berenguer !!

IMO Arzani needs to be very careful about the next move. All very well kicking around Europe but if you're not actually kicking then it's wasting time and eating up the years of your football career. Needs to go to a club that plays the right style of football, managed by the right manager, and where he's going to be a starting player. 

Nothing can be guaranteed of course, but if these criteria aren't met IMO he'd be far better off coming back to us. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO Arzani needs to be very careful about the next move. All very well kicking around Europe but if you're not actually kicking then it's wasting time and eating up the years of your football career. Needs to go to a club that plays the right style of football, managed by the right manager, and where he's going to be a starting player. 

Nothing can be guaranteed of course, but if these criteria aren't met IMO he'd be far better off coming back to us. 

Yep. Pretty much what I said and it seems we are in decent company as Graham Arnold said more or less the same thing.

His next move is crucial and he can’t fuck it up (again)

Just now, n i k o said:

Injury replacement for Aidan 

Given we have to include his full wages in the cap imo we still wont have enough room to bring him in. There was a fair bit of a jostle to sign him when Manchester did so imo he'll be on a decent amount of coin and we wont be able to get him without marqueeing him.
I could certainly be wrong there, but thats my gut feel anyway.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Given we have to include his full wages in the cap imo we still wont have enough room to bring him in. There was a fair bit of a jostle to sign him when Manchester did so imo he'll be on a decent amount of coin and we wont be able to get him without marqueeing him.
I could certainly be wrong there, but thats my gut feel anyway.

16 minutes ago, HughJass said:

I thought injury replacements were exempt from the cap? Main rule being has to be foreigner for foreigner or aussie for aussie replacement 

My understanding is that an injury such as that of O'Neill would qualify for a replacement player, and that O'Neill's payments while he is deemed to be a long-term injury are paid by insurance and not included in the cap.

I'm not sure on the "like for like" replacement rule now.

Who's actually running the show now - is it Australian Professional Leagues? If so I suppose they can change existing rules if they wish to.

30 minutes ago, HughJass said:

I thought injury replacements were exempt from the cap? Main rule being has to be foreigner for foreigner or aussie for aussie replacement 

I was always of the impression it was that you could exempt the wages of the inured player, so by default you've still got to work within the cap , unless the injured player is designated as a marquee.

So unless Arzani is effectively on the same or less wages as O'Neill we'd be stuffed, esp as you can't do it by a loan fee due to the Lampard rule

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

If we did bring in Arzani, that’s the end of game time for probably 2 of Tsubati, Tilio and Colokavoski.

To me he’s a next year signing, he’d just imbalance our squad if he came now.

Tbh i agree. As much as I'd love to see him back at some point, i don't think that point is now and tbh i think he might be a bit of an unsettling character on the squad at present. A squad which i think is very capable of achieving something this season with a bit more luck on the injury front.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fensaddler said:

AGF Aarhus. Third in the Danish Superligaen. 

5 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

This is the club where there is no place for Gersbach, another Socceroos. Third in the Danish league.  Probably aiming to start too high, again. 

Given that the Danish league is rated below the Eredivisie, unless Arzani is a regular starter IMO he's on the slippery slope to nowhere. Poor management of a very promising player.

So he is signed until the end of the 20/21 season which is only 8 or so games. He will have to impress greatly in that short time. i tend to agree with other comments that this is the last roll of the dice in europe for someone as highly praised as Daniel. Luck has to be on his side and he will need to absolutely dominate, score and stay fit. 

Best of luck to him. 

• 4 weeks later...

Such a shame, and must be so frustrating for him - to be the youngest player at the World Cup of all tournaments and make 3 appearances for your nation, only to be completely snubbed at club level is the harshest of lessons.

Obviously injuries seem to have played a big factor but at least he's got age on his side. Hope he makes it yet.

His attitude stinks by all reports and it seems very much the case that he's going to fall on his own sword. Not even sure i want him back here at this point in time tbh, although it would def hurt a bit to see him playing for someone else too.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2