Melbourne Football

Daniel Arzani

jeffplz

Not buzzing about this really, would personally rather develop our own talent. We just had Charly Musonda on loan there and he got shag all football, cant see Arzani getting as much game time as he would elsewhere. 

Also playing a 3-4-1-2 which would make it hard to really break in. Rogic and McGregor fight for the #10 and the wide positions, wing back type roles, require a skillset not suited to Arzani.

8 minutes ago, Leboroo said:

That's not right. Everything that I have read on their forum and twitter suggests that 60% of fans want him while most don't like the idea of a loan but they do see his quality. 

Sorry that is more accurate

Alot don't want him on loan and would prefer a permanent deal, there are a few who don't think he is needed as well

We all appreciate his talent and potential, I'm coming round to it now the reports are saying it's (at least) a two year deal. Would be over the moon with a perm deal, but that isn't possible. 

We have a young player coming through who Arzani would be in direct competition with, a lot of Celts would rather develop him rather than developing City Groups player. 

Gordon

Ajer - Boyata - Jozo

Forrest - Brown - Ntcham - Tierney

Rogic

Dembele - Edouard

I wonder where he fits in, in that system.

He isn't getting much game time in the wide roles and he has Rogic and McGregor in front of him in the #10/free role. We would need to revert back to the 4-2-3-1 for him to have the best chance of game time. We do switch fluidly throughout games, but it could stifle his development. Feel at 19/20 he really needs to go somewhere that will guarantee him starts, that wont be the case with us. Two of the best young wingers in English football in Charly Musonda and Paddy Roberts were on loan last season, Musonda couldn't get a look in and Roberts struggles to get back in after an injury and the form of James Forrest. 

1 hour ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

We said the same about Huddersfield.  As with Hudders and Mooy the coach is progressive, modern, willing to play youth.  Lets hope Rogers doesn't leave then.

If the rest of the league was on Celtic's level it might be a fair comparison. Does this actually improve him as a footballer, or does it just put him in the European shop window? The Championship is a clear step-up from the A-League, this is almost a sideways move.

This is a league where Motherwell were recently being outbid by English tier 5, non-league clubs:https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44908872

• Like 2

Just now, Blackout said:

If the rest of the league was on Celtic's level it might be a fair comparison. Does this actually improve him as a footballer, or does it just put him in the European shop window? The Championship is a clear step-up from the A-League, this is almost a sideways move.

This is a league where Motherwell were recently being outbid by English tier 5, non-league clubs:https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44908872

Agree. Whilst Celtic are clearly better than any A League teams, imo their opposition is at the same level or lower. Celtic does provide a much better 'advertising opportunity' than Melbourne for Daniel though, so perhaps a sideways move in this context makes sense.
I'd prefer he went to PSV though if im entirely honest.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Agree. Whilst Celtic are clearly better than any A League teams, imo their opposition is at the same level or lower. Celtic does provide a much better 'advertising opportunity' than Melbourne for Daniel though, so perhaps a sideways move in this context makes sense.
I'd prefer he went to PSV though if im entirely honest.

I'd agree. The Eredivisie is a better standard, and probably a more suitable style of football. Would also put him in the shop window. English Championship would be better too, though at least Celtic have some possibility of European football. Overall though, let's get it done, move on, and finish building our squad. 

1 hour ago, Blackout said:

Salford City signing Rooney is a moot point - It's easy to out bid teams when your majority owner is worth US$2.1 billion and you have 5 millionaire ex footballers chipping in. In contrast, Motherwell are a fan owned club... So aye, there's no relevance. 

2 hours ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

We said the same about Huddersfield.  As with Hudders and Mooy the coach is progressive, modern, willing to play youth.  Lets hope Rogers doesn't leave then.

Rodgers will be a big reason City are happy for him to come north.

Patrick Roberts was a huge success and improved big time over his 2.5 year loan, Boyata came from City and has just started 3 games in Belgiums World Cup semi run, Oliver Ntcham has come from City and has developed into classy midfielder. Odsonne Edouard in on loan from PSG last season and they have just sold him to us for a club record fee. 

Dembele, Kristofer Ajer being coached into top players, Rogic coming on leaps and bounds, van Dijk learned his trade here and his now £75m player, Wanyama etc 

City trust us and I think with good reason, we have a decent track record. 

• Like 1

I have no idea where he will go but it will not be Celtic. They only loan multi million pound players who will improve their team e.g. Patrick Roberts, Odsonne Edouard etc. Also they have a good crop of youngsters coming through who they would rather develop.  

2 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

I have no idea where he will go but it will not be Celtic. They only loan multi million pound players who will improve their team e.g. Patrick Roberts, Odsonne Edouard etc. Also they have a good crop of youngsters coming through who they would rather develop.  

Rodgers has all but confirmed the interest on our behalf mate. Another thing to take into account is our chief execs son is employed by City in some capacity, this link is said to have laid the foundations for our dealings with City for Boyata, Roberts and Ntcham. 

The Scotsman news paper stated

Brendan Rodgers has again distanced himself from Celtic’s transfer activity, insisting he has no involvement in the club’s pursuit of Australian international midfielder Daniel Arzani. 

I would seem strange for Rodgers OK a player if he has no involvement, but stranger things have happened.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

IMO it's dragging on a bit, and it's time for it to be resolved so that we can finalise the rest of the City squad.

It doesnt matter if it takes another two months to wrap up. The club knows he isn't coming back, they will already have their targets etc.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, malloy said:

It doesnt matter if it takes another two months to wrap up. The club knows he isn't coming back, they will already have their targets etc.

I dont want another marquee missing most of pre-season again

• Like 1

Just now, haz said:

I dont want another marquee missing most of pre-season again

How does Arzani stop a new marquee being signed? He isn't on big wages, he isn't our marquee. The club no he is going and can act as if he has already left regardless of whether it is formerly signed off on this week or two months later.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, malloy said:

How does Arzani stop a new marquee being signed? He isn't on big wages, he isn't our marquee. The club no he is going and can act as if he has already left regardless of whether it is formerly signed off on this week or two months later.

I could be wrong but I assumed @jw1739 was hinting at our final signing being the marquee.

Also I would not be surprised if one of the options for the club is making Arzani marquee, and I am sure they dont want a repeat of the Ross & Brandan fiasco

• Like 1

Actually no. Nothing to do with whether we sign a marquee or not. Daniel is currently being paid under the cap, and he is contracted to us until 31/5/19, meaning that he is being paid by us right now for season 2018/19 and what we are paying him has to be included in our cap for season 2018/19.

Looking at the list of contracted players for 2018/19, we still have to sign several players to bring us up to the minimum squad size.

Putting these two things together, it is clearly in our interest to resolve what happens to Daniel so that we can move forward with these signings. I'm not saying it should be rushed, but IMO it is in everyone's interest to resolve it sooner rather than later.

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Actually no. Nothing to do with whether we sign a marquee or not. Daniel is currently being paid under the cap, and he is contracted to us until 31/5/19, meaning that he is being paid by us right now for season 2018/19 and what we are paying him has to be included in our cap for season 2018/19.

Looking at the list of contracted players for 2018/19, we still have to sign several players to bring us up to the minimum squad size.

Putting these two things together, it is clearly in our interest to resolve what happens to Daniel so that we can move forward with these signings. I'm not saying it should be rushed, but IMO it is in everyone's interest to resolve it sooner rather than later.

Are you sure he is contracted to us for next year?

30 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Indeed. So we need to create the cap space by formally getting him off our books before we can formally use that cap space on someone else. Won't directly impact on the marquee, but indirectly there may be juggling of who sits where and who is signed when which may also impact our progress on signing a marquee. No deal is done until its done (vide McCormack) and sorting our list is like one of those puzzles where moving one piece affects everything else. So get the Arzani deal sorted, and it's likely other things can then slot into place, and what is at present just plans and discussions can finally be locked in. 

54 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yes but any contract can be increased during a season and a player can be elevated to Marquee at any time just as long as the FFA are advised. 

1 hour ago, AXIOM said:

If he is still on our books then why arent we the ones loaning him out to whoever? If all the talk is Man City is the one loaning him then he must have signed for them? Which also mean they bought him from us? 

Because Man City will buy him from us, and then loan him out. They own us anyway, so there's little material difference, other than them being the ones with the connections and clout. We'll get a modest fee, but considerable kudos, and ultimately greater support, from our parent club for developing a player who can ultimately be sold on for a good fee. That's how we earn our keep. And plenty more coming down the production line. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AXIOM said:

Are you sure he is contracted to us for next year?

Yes. He had enough A-League minutes to trigger a clause in his contract contracting him for next season.

1 hour ago, [LIBBA] said:

Yes but any contract can be increased during a season and a player can be elevated to Marquee at any time just as long as the FFA are advised. 

I think "...just as long as FFA approve."

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yes. He had enough A-League minutes to trigger a clause in his contract contracting him for next season.

I think "...just as long as FFA approve."

Fair enough if that the case then we should see some dollars out of the deal. On to the next sale.

5 hours ago, AXIOM said:

If he is still on our books then why arent we the ones loaning him out to whoever? If all the talk is Man City is the one loaning him then he must have signed for them? Which also mean they bought him from us? 

Once he has Manchester City on his CV his value immediately increases, unfortunately that's just the way football is. There is a ceiling for players outside the top leagues. 

Being seen as a worthwhile deal for Man City coupled with a successful 2 years at Celtic will make his value soar. In 2 years time, pending his performances, he will be a Manchester City player, with maybe 70+ games at Celtic, league titles, cups, Champions League experience and will be marketed as an experienced, talented youngster who has proven himself in Britain and just isn't quite ready to break into a world class Man City side. 

If, alternatively, you loaned him straight to Celtic, his value wouldn't be as much. Example being someone like van Dijk. We sold him for £13m +10% sell on, Southampton sold him for £75m. The potential monetary growth for a player affiliated with an EPL club is night and day. 

Edited by Celt
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Celt said:

If, alternatively, you loaned him straight to Celtic, his value wouldn't be as much. Example being someone like van Dijk. We sold him for £13m +10% sell on, Southampton sold him for £75m. The potential monetary growth for a player affiliated with an EPL club is night and day. 

But also because van Dijk was playing against decent attackers in the EPL with Southhampton.

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Celt said:

Once he has Manchester City on his CV his value immediately increases, unfortunately that's just the way football is. There is a ceiling for players outside the top leagues. 

Being seen as a worthwhile deal for Man City coupled with a successful 2 years at Celtic will make his value soar. In 2 years time, pending his performances, he will be a Manchester City player, with maybe 70+ games at Celtic, league titles, cups, Champions League experience and will be marketed as an experienced, talented youngster who has proven himself in Britain and just isn't quite ready to break into a world class Man City side. 

Yes. I suppose having a rich and powerful master on your slave CV increased your value on the plantations.

• Like 2