Melbourne Football

Waleed Aly - I for one accept our new SJW overlord

4 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I also don't understand how the left has got the LGBTQ crowd so hyped up over Trump like they'd all be sent to concentration camps under him, he's probably the most queer friendly republican ever.

Apparently his VP candidate is one of the least queer friendly republicans (to the point of directly funding "conversion therapy")

8 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

I'm certainly not Price's biggest fan, but he's 100% right here. It's the left's fault that Donald Trump won because we've allowed our cause to be hijacked by agressive, arrogant, holier-than-thou idiots who refuse to listen to any other argument and counter any opposition to their opinion as racist, sexist, homophobic etc etc. People are sick of being told that their opinion is wrong and then being told that the reason it's wrong is because it just is. The art of debate and logical arguments has been lost and politics has become nothing but name-calling and faux outrage. The way Price was treated sums up the US election result perfectly.

I take a different view - first Clinton has won the popular vote, last I looked a few days ago she was in front by about 2m votes. In effect their electoral system is too bizarre when a margin that large gets turfed.

More importantly, the focus on political correctness and other cultural issues is a diversion. When the centre-left and the centre-right merged their economic policies then the only differentiating factor are cultural issues or more to the point bullshit issues. With the creation of exotic financing devices such as CDOs/CDSs which Buffet warned at the outset that there would be an economic catastrophe the whole capitalism took a massive shock which the middle and lower classes paid the price for. as an example the Financial Times reported that John Thain, the last CEO of Merril Lynch prior to the takeover by Bank of America, had spent $US13k renovating his office ensuite and later admitted in a speech that when the financial collapse began he got his staff to run a profit and loss statement on one single CDO - that took them nearly three and half hours to indicate a loss; and then he said that they owned thousands of these devices, so he sold the company to Bank of America. So did any of the irresponsible CEOs such as John Thain or Dick Fuld (who congress found had earned nearly $US500M over 7 years running Lehman to the ground) get their comeuppance? Were they found to be negligent? Absolutely not. And then comes along Obama and Tim Geithner who reputedly said that America could have a banking system or chase the bankers but not both. And I could go on.So where was the centre left in all of this? Clinton along with a Republican congress enabled the laws that allowed the creation of CDOs/CDSs. And where are the centre right? With their mantra of responsibility - well they certainly protected those that created the disaster. However responsibility applies to the average person in the street - you know the ones, the ones that can't offer politicians seats on the board of companies (like Peter Reith being a board member for a company that he awarded defence contract to or Andrew Robb who now works for a Chinese company that has benefitted from the trade agreement that he created) or offer pointless jobs such as Gina Reinhardt did to Sophie Mirabella.

So what is left but to argue bullshit and get worked up over bullshit. Tell you another thing, there were dickheads when I was born and there will be dickheads long after I'm gone.  Like in football there will always be pretenders - just like Redmayne pretends to be a professional footballer, there will be those who pretend to be intellectual. Call them out.

The only change that has happened in my lifetime is that the internet has created more closed societies than ever before. Why listen to someone who may challenge your basic tenets of life? no matter how small your world may be.

6 hours ago, Tesla said:

I think they honestly beleive it. The funny thing is that most these people are suffering from a form of brainwashing themselves, its the thing I hate about the left and what I always talk about. The collectivist circle jerks where they reinforce how morally superior and correct they all are, drowning out and (metaphorically if not literally) shouting over the top of anyone that doesnt agree. They become completely indoctrinated by it and dont beleive there are actually people out there that disagree with them apart from a "far right minority". Then they see these election results and can only conclude that people have been brainwashed or it was rigged.

Its borderline a psychological illness if you ask me. I suppose I shouldn't  take pleasure in their dispear if that is the case, but they make it so damn hard with the way they go about being cunts the rest of the time.

Like I always say, I've got no problem with people being left wing or left of centre or whatever if theyre reasonable about it. But the majority of people to the left these days, at least those under 35, seem to fall into what ive described above.

I can't believe what I just read...and here I thought all along that this forum was your safe space...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I take a different view - first Clinton has won the popular vote, last I looked a few days ago she was in front by about 2m votes. In effect their electoral system is too bizarre when a margin that large gets turfed.

More importantly, the focus on political correctness and other cultural issues is a diversion. When the centre-left and the centre-right merged their economic policies then the only differentiating factor are cultural issues or more to the point bullshit issues. With the creation of exotic financing devices such as CDOs/CDSs which Buffet warned at the outset that there would be an economic catastrophe the whole capitalism took a massive shock which the middle and lower classes paid the price for. as an example the Financial Times reported that John Thain, the last CEO of Merril Lynch prior to the takeover by Bank of America, had spent $US13k renovating his office ensuite and later admitted in a speech that when the financial collapse began he got his staff to run a profit and loss statement on one single CDO - that took them nearly three and half hours to indicate a loss; and then he said that they owned thousands of these devices, so he sold the company to Bank of America. So did any of the irresponsible CEOs such as John Thain or Dick Fuld (who congress found had earned nearly $US500M over 7 years running Lehman to the ground) get their comeuppance? Were they found to be negligent? Absolutely not. And then comes along Obama and Tim Geithner who reputedly said that America could have a banking system or chase the bankers but not both. And I could go on.So where was the centre left in all of this? Clinton along with a Republican congress enabled the laws that allowed the creation of CDOs/CDSs. And where are the centre right? With their mantra of responsibility - well they certainly protected those that created the disaster. However responsibility applies to the average person in the street - you know the ones, the ones that can't offer politicians seats on the board of companies (like Peter Reith being a board member for a company that he awarded defence contract to or Andrew Robb who now works for a Chinese company that has benefitted from the trade agreement that he created) or offer pointless jobs such as Gina Reinhardt did to Sophie Mirabella.

So what is left but to argue bullshit and get worked up over bullshit. Tell you another thing, there were dickheads when I was born and there will be dickheads long after I'm gone.  Like in football there will always be pretenders - just like Redmayne pretends to be a professional footballer, there will be those who pretend to be intellectual. Call them out.

The only change that has happened in my lifetime is that the internet has created more closed societies than ever before. Why listen to someone who may challenge your basic tenets of life? no matter how small your world may be.

Yeah you're right, obviously I was oversimplifying. The economic issues created by the political establishment in the US and their revolving door with Wall Street has alienated huge parts of the population. The problem is that the Democrats assumed that even though Trump had the anti-establishment agenda, his xenophobia and far-right tendencies would be enough to see the voters go for Clinton. If they actually gave a shit about anything other than their friends in Wall Street the democrats would have run with Sanders as he appealed to a lot of people and offered actual change. This election seemed to make it look like being politically correct was aligning with the establishment whilst going against the corruption meant siding with racism and sexism, and people chose the latter.

As for the electoral college winning Trump the election despite losing the popular vote, I agree that it is shit but at the end of the day even the fact that it was that close  between Clinton and a racist, sexist pig is terrible in itself even if he'd lost.

9 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Yeah you're right, obviously I was oversimplifying. The economic issues created by the political establishment in the US and their revolving door with Wall Street has alienated huge parts of the population. The problem is that the Democrats assumed that even though Trump had the anti-establishment agenda, his xenophobia and far-right tendencies would be enough to see the voters go for Clinton. If they actually gave a shit about anything other than their friends in Wall Street the democrats would have run with Sanders as he appealed to a lot of people and offered actual change. This election seemed to make it look like being politically correct was aligning with the establishment whilst going against the corruption meant siding with racism and sexism, and people chose the latter.

As for the electoral college winning Trump the election despite losing the popular vote, I agree that it is shit but at the end of the day even the fact that it was that close  between Clinton and a racist, sexist pig is terrible in itself even if he'd lost.

Then there are things like how Clinton managed to lose unlosable States and only get 48% of the Catholic Vote... how does a Democratic Presidential Candidate lose the Catholic Vote to Trump.

It's true a lot of Catholics have converted over the past twenty years to being Republicans but its still a complete joke that this happened due to history of the Democrats with Catholics in America. Talk about her being in a Bubble.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Tesla said:

Just tell us, no matter which it is this thread will approve.

See Deemings post. 

Couldnt go past Trigg. Massive negative contribution to our society is really too big to ignore. Most of the others though are very worthy nominees. (Don't agree about Prior being nominated, she was just a sensitive person encouraged by others to do something stupid and is now paying the price, it's not like she deliberately set out to damage the country, like the others)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deeming said:

It was a tough field but I went with Triggs because she is meant to independent. She has been shown to be biased and a liar.

Many of the others are free to be as regressive as they like because they are pollies or entertainment figures.

Absolutely. Old mate waleed can't hold a candle to her. He's just a tosser on the Tele that everyone is free to ignore. Trigg is part of our legal establishment.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Jacinta Price unloads

This bloke makes me ill. While there have been 400 Aboriginal deaths in custody since 2011, there have been thousands of deaths outside of custody and thousands of aboriginal women dead at the hands of aboriginal men due to domestic violence. He also fails to mention that rates of non-aboriginal deaths in custody have always been higher than aboriginal deaths in custody but no one cares if white people die in custody. He fails to mention that 75% of aboriginal men incarcerated are incarcerated for crimes involving domestic violence and murder.

I mean do only black lives in custody matter? Do black lives only mater if there is a white perpetrator? Because where are the marches for the thousands upon thousands of black mothers killed by their partners?? Why is it just a brief mention that Ms Dhu's partner broke her rib in an attack which caused her illness and death?! Why isn't this as important? Perhaps Waleed should get a job with First Nations Telegraph as they make a hero out of this man, the man who broke Ms Dhu's rib and caused her infection by writing a story praising him for telling her story.

This is Waleed being a sensationalist journalist to gain brownie points from his PC crowd. You disgust me with your attempts at racial division. You're an antagonist who does little for this country and more for your ego! Deliver all the damn facts!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Numerous professors and educators have noted a lack of emotional resilience and an excess of selfish demands in today’s young people. It’s not uncommon now for books to be removed from a class’s curriculum for no other reason than that they made someone feel bad. Speakers and professors are shouted down and banned from campuses for infractions as simple as suggesting that maybe some Halloween costumes really aren’t that offensive. School counselors note that more students than ever are exhibiting severe signs of emotional distress over what are otherwise run-of-the-mill daily college experiences, such as an argument with a roommate, or getting a low grade in a class.
It’s strange that in an age when we are more connected than ever, entitlement seems to be at an all-time high. Something about recent technology seems to allow our insecurities to run amok like never before. The more freedom we’re given to express ourselves, the more we want to be free of having to deal with anyone who may disagree with us or upset us. The more exposed we are to opposing viewpoints, the more we seem to get upset that those other viewpoints exist. The easier and more problem-free our lives become, the more we seem to feel entitled for them to get even better.
The benefits of the Internet and social media are unquestionably fantastic. In many ways, this is the best time in history to be alive. But perhaps these technologies are having some unintended social side effects. Perhaps these same technologies that have liberated and educated so many are simultaneously enabling people’s sense of entitlement more than ever before.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Don't blame technology - blame the parents who prevent their kids from developing resilience. In the 70s when there were shoot outs in the city children were not spared and no counselling was offered to witnesses. These days a paper cut gets you a psychologist. AND DON'T GET ME STARTED IN 21st CENTURY OH&S.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Don't blame technology - blame the parents who prevent their kids from developing resilience. In the 70s when there were shoot outs in the city children were not spared and no counselling was offered to witnesses. These days a paper cut gets you a psychologist. AND DON'T GET ME STARTED IN 21st CENTURY OH&S.

Pretty sure we learnt a long time ago that its pivotal to assist Children when they experience a difficult period in young age (say even their parents divorce) as these experiences in their formative years can have such an impact on some of them as they become adults.

Edited by cadete

5 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Schools go on about "developing resilience". How do you actually develop resilience? Experience hardship.

If you survive, you are resilient.

Unfortunately a lack of resilience is a by product of our lives improving.

15 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Schools go on about "developing resilience". How do you actually develop resilience? Experience hardship.

If you survive, you are resilient.

Unfortunately a lack of resilience is a by product of our lives improving.

Come to think of it, my old bird works in a Primary school as an integration aid and recently had to sit in on a 'Resilience Class' Primary Schools now have to run. Ironically the majority of the school are Catholic Refugees from Iraq that have spent the majority of their childhood in a War Zone. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, cadete said:

Pretty sure we learnt a long time ago that its pivotal to assist Children when they experience a difficult period in young age (say even their parents divorce) as these experiences in their formative years can have such an impact on some of them as they become adults.

I was being facetious. My brother in his teens saw a shooting during a bank hold up (two dead), a grannie drag the little one to see the corpses. No one at the time even suggested counselling for the witnesses at the shopping center. The problem is defining "difficult" and the belief that any tragedy witnessed immediately means that you are in need of psychological help lest you suffer major depression. I see it with my friends' kids who are now struggling to cope with responsibility and the concept of failure. But of course it is easier to blame technology rather than neurotic parenting.

36 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I was being facetious. My brother in his teens saw a shooting during a bank hold up (two dead), a grannie drag the little one to see the corpses. No one at the time even suggested counselling for the witnesses at the shopping center. The problem is defining "difficult" and the belief that any tragedy witnessed immediately means that you are in need of psychological help lest you suffer major depression. I see it with my friends' kids who are now struggling to cope with responsibility and the concept of failure. But of course it is easier to blame technology rather than neurotic parenting.

Really depends on the person. I've directly witnessed two people die (one jumped in front of a train and the other was a motorbike crash) neither has impacted me at all. That being said prolonged fear like growing up in a war zone would result in a very different outcome.

All in all people need to just be sick cunts and not be shit cunts.

22 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Really depends on the person. I've directly witnessed two people die (one jumped in front of a train and the other was a motorbike crash) neither has impacted me at all. That being said prolonged fear like growing up in a war zone would result in a very different outcome.

Totally agree on this. My dispute is that everyone is treated as if they were the least resilient, the most hyper-sensitive - from a young age; then it becomes learnt behaviour. And lets face it, most people in Oz were not born in a war zone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewConvert said:

Totally agree on this. My dispute is that everyone is treated as if they were the least resilient, the most hyper-sensitive - from a young age; then it becomes learnt behaviour. And lets face it, most people in Oz were not born in a war zone.

I seem to be in the minority in Collingwood on this one these days. Unless you consider London a war-zone :ph34r:

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Not trying to put the mozz on you but some people take years for the shock of something pretty awful to hit them. Ivan Milat survivor and witness for the prosecution Paul Onions apparently had a melt down years later, though it has to be said his experience was pretty bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice piece from DL on the anti-Trump brigade in Australia but I thought this bit extended to SJWs in general and is similar to what I've tried to say before (though better articulated) 

So who are the anti-Trump brigades trying to impress? The answer, clearly, is each other. What they are doing is engaging in that great modern affliction known as virtue signalling, defined as conspicuous expression of moral values to enhance a person’s standing within a social group.

In other words, people who don’t have any original ideas of their own have discovered that an anti-Trump tweet or Facebook post will make them feel like they are part of a gang. It’s a way of feeling relevant.

14 hours ago, Tesla said:

Nice piece from DL on the anti-Trump brigade in Australia but I thought this bit extended to SJWs in general and is similar to what I've tried to say before (though better articulated) 

So who are the anti-Trump brigades trying to impress? The answer, clearly, is each other. What they are doing is engaging in that great modern affliction known as virtue signalling, defined as conspicuous expression of moral values to enhance a person’s standing within a social group.

In other words, people who don’t have any original ideas of their own have discovered that an anti-Trump tweet or Facebook post will make them feel like they are part of a gang. It’s a way of feeling relevant.

It's true statement and well written but FWIW th  same can be said about any PPL who hav  engaged in Twitter Politics for the past ten years.

Twitter  seems to made up of a lot of PPL who think everyone should know their opinions... But have no other vehicle but a crap Social Media Site.