Jump to content
Melbourne Football

Richard "The Lion" van der Venne


haz
 Share

Recommended Posts

Unlike Pucci this guy and been actively playing (in a better league too) before signing for us. 

First time playing abroad in his career though so I can see him having a slow start. 

Hope he packed his sun screen! 

 

Screenshot_20220623-043835_Brave.jpg

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Hopefully he bears a striking resemblance to de Bruyne in his impact on the team. he was a free transfer

He missed 14 matches last season because of injury and subsequent knee surgery. https://www.transfermarkt.com/richard-van-der-venne/verletzungen/spieler/376675

Overall though, underwhelming response to the signing news - perhaps we're all wary because of the Pucci fiasco.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

He missed 14 matches last season because of injury and subsequent knee surgery. https://www.transfermarkt.com/richard-van-der-venne/verletzungen/spieler/376675

Overall though, underwhelming response to the signing news - perhaps we're all wary because of the Pucci fiasco.

Hmm didn't know about the knee injury, hopefully he is going to be able to play the majority of the season... 

Pretty hard to get to hyped about visa players when we have had a hit and miss success rate so far. 

He does look pretty decent though so should do alright. Hopefully similar contribution as De Laet! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

He missed 14 matches last season because of injury and subsequent knee surgery. https://www.transfermarkt.com/richard-van-der-venne/verletzungen/spieler/376675

Overall though, underwhelming response to the signing news - perhaps we're all wary because of the Pucci fiasco.

He's come to use the Germano Treatment Centre, world renown.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've looked at a few video clips and get the feeling that he's a hard working player who's going to stand up for himself, won't take a heap of shit from PK, and who won't stick around if he doesn't get enough match time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm quietly confident that VDV will smash it for us. 

He's come from playing regularly in a good European league and nabbed a few goals and assists. 

Also, he looks like he has a bit of mongrel in him and those type of players hit the ground running in the A-League. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

To remind myself not to get overhyped, I just read through the Pucciarelli thread (so much optimism at the start), but a true life tragedy! 

It all depends on how PK rates him, otherwise may just end up as another witches hat at training

apparently Pucciarelli was not out of favour with PK, Pucciarelli apparently just could not get to the necessary fitness levels needed 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Zanty said:

apparently Pucciarelli was not out of favour with PK, Pucciarelli apparently just could not get to the necessary fitness levels needed 

Source? I call bullshit. 

We’ve had several players who weren’t fit and got given game time to improve their fitness.

Pucci is 3rd or 4rd highest paid player in the team. What a shitshow and he’s still on our books. 

1 hour ago, Torn Asunder said:

To remind myself not to get overhyped, I just read through the Pucciarelli thread (so much optimism at the start), but a true life tragedy! 

It all depends on how PK rates him, otherwise may just end up as another witches hat at training

Agreed.

You remember Petrillo raving about Pucci, how they’ve done their homework and how well suited he was for our team.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Having now had the chance to watch a lot of highlights on Wyscout, instead of pay attention at all in the meetings I'm supposed to be in he looks a lot more like he's played a lot further forward than Metcalfe, with the vast majority of his work done in (or in some cases beyond) the striker, which would be different to the role that Metcalfe played (not that I think that's a horrible plan, to be honest, because Aiden O'Neill can function very capably as a lone defensive midfielder in our system next to a Berenguer).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tommykins said:

Having now had the chance to watch a lot of highlights on Wyscout, instead of pay attention at all in the meetings I'm supposed to be in he looks a lot more like he's played a lot further forward than Metcalfe, with the vast majority of his work done in (or in some cases beyond) the striker, which would be different to the role that Metcalfe played (not that I think that's a horrible plan, to be honest, because Aiden O'Neill can function very capably as a lone defensive midfielder in our system next to a Berenguer).

I reckon he will play a very similar role to what KDB does at Man City, drifting wide on that left side with leckie cutting in, giving VDV the freedom to cross the ball into the box or drive in himself

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, haz said:

Weird. Who was 13 previously? 

Was that the number "reserved for the fans" many seasons ago? Then Stefan Mauk had it I think (18/19?), and then Atkinson (19/20?).

Edited by jw1739
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Was that the number "reserved for the fans" many seasons ago? Then Stefan Mauk had it I think (18/19?), and then Atkinson (19/20?).

 

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Atkinson i think

So did O'Neil want 13 or VDV demand he got 8?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/07/2022 at 10:49 AM, haz said:

 

So did O'Neil want 13 or VDV demand he got 8?

Yeah weird, RDV seems to have always played with 10 so can't imagine why wants 8. Not sure who 10 is. 8 was Griff until last year when O'Neil took it and Griff went to 5. Maybe O'Neill doesn't want 8 now since he got injured in it and thinks 23 might be luckier 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Le Hack said:

Yeah weird, RDV seems to have always played with 10 so can't imagine why wants 8. Not sure who 10 is. 8 was Griff until last year when O'Neil took it and Griff went to 5. Maybe O'Neill doesn't want 8 now since he got injured in it and thinks 23 might be luckier 

10 is (or was last season) Berenguer.

It would be nice if the club would keep the information on the website up-to-date.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...