Melbourne Football

Richard "The Lion" van der Venne

haz

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Interesting. Probably because they aren't part of this pessimistic toxic forum... 

Or aren’t following the club closely and haven’t watch us play by the end of last season and this pre-season?

Every season with PK will be one small step back. Only the new recruits can save this team. The forward big three just don’t seem to understand each other at all , after all this time together - so they need to start clicking too. JMAC and Nabbout had the poorest field play season since joining for their high standards (and continued that in pre-season).

Other clubs might still be shitter than us and we might still win something but we certainly haven’t build the dominant force we hoped to be, I hoped to be.

Nothing toxic, nothing pessimistic just the expectations that come with a top club.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Or aren’t following the club closely and haven’t watch us play by the end of last season and this pre-season?

Every season with PK will be one small step back. Only the new recruits can save this team. The forward big three just don’t seem to understand each other at all , after all this time together - so they need to start clicking too. JMAC and Nabbout had the poorest field play season since joining for their high standards (and continued that in pre-season).

Other clubs might still be shitter than us and we might still win something but we certainly haven’t build the dominant force we hoped to be, I hoped to be.

Nothing toxic, nothing pessimistic just the expectations that come with a top club.

Yes I understand the expectation of us being a 'big club' and having successful seasons. There are a few people on here that act like the sky is falling in. You know glass half empty types... 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Yes I understand the expectation of us being a 'big club' and having successful seasons. There are a few people on here that act like the sky is falling in. You know glass half empty types... 

We are widely touted as the benchmark club in the A-League. It's unreasonable to expect us to win everything all the time, but IMO it is reasonable to expect us to be strongly competitive every season in the competitions in which we participate.

We should be aiming high all the time and setting stretch targets. That's the way to succeed.

44 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I'm usually pretty optimistic at the start of the season. I'm not this time. Who knows I may be wildly wrong, but we looked poor towards the end of last season and we've looked poor in pre season. It's tactical, not our list, though I worry about VDV's injury run at the moment. We need to show we've worked out a better way of playing against WU in our first match, as our games against them so much summarised our problems last season.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I'm usually pretty optimistic at the start of the season. I'm not this time. Who knows I may be wildly wrong, but we looked poor towards the end of last season and we've looked poor in pre season. It's tactical, not our list, though I worry about VDV's injury run at the moment. We need to show we've worked out a better way of playing against WU in our first match, as our games against them so much summarised our problems last season.

Yes I feel I share the same 'optimism' as you at this time in the season. The western united game will be very telling as we struggled against them all last season... If its much the same it will likely be a similar season to last. 

9 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Yes I feel I share the same 'optimism' as you at this time in the season. The western united game will be very telling as we struggled against them all last season... If its much the same it will likely be a similar season to last. 

WU have a clear template when they play us:

Sit deep and compact

Slow our ball speed

Force a turnover

Score on the counter.

It works every time; every team will try the same plan as we will always turnover in midfield, more the ball too slowly and predictably and our offside trap is easy to beat 

11 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Sit deep and compact

Slow our ball speed

Force a turnover

Score on the counter.

It works every time; every team will try the same plan as we will always turnover in midfield, more the ball too slowly and predictably and our offside trap is easy to beat 

i think thats why we have brought in 2 new midfielders, one thing i noticed we missed last season was Luna's ball playing ability, he would hit these really good forward thinking balls wheras we didnt really have someone like that in our team last season like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Sit deep and compact

Slow our ball speed

Force a turnover

Score on the counter.

Fuck, that's cheered me up no end...looking forward to the match with enthusiasm now.

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Sit deep and compact

Slow our ball speed

Force a turnover

Score on the counter.

You are forgetting the back pockets of their CBS.

Look I get it that we haven't been great in pre season and that the end of last season was disappointing but I'm genuinely optimistic we will improve this season. 

Looking at WU specifically it wasn't that long ago that we had never lost to them. They got in a couple great A League level players, a Keeper a CB and a striker and they become the best in the League. 

The club and the football department are not idiots, although some on here would disagree but for me we have strengthened this year and therefore will be better. And playing off in the granny and winning the League last season we effectively don't need huge improvement to become the best again.

Yes we've got issues, GK, Visa players injured (or worse not good) and a coach that seems one dimensional but if you dig into the other 11 teams IMO we are great space.

Obviously the first game will be a good indication of where we are at. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Look I get it that we haven't been great in pre season and that the end of last season was disappointing but I'm genuinely optimistic we will improve this season. 

Looking at WU specifically it wasn't that long ago that we had never lost to them. They got in a couple great A League level players, a Keeper a CB and a striker and they become the best in the League. 

The club and the football department are not idiots, although some on here would disagree but for me we have strengthened this year and therefore will be better. And playing off in the granny and winning the League last season we effectively don't need huge improvement to become the best again.

Yes we've got issues, GK, Visa players injured (or worse not good) and a coach that seems one dimensional but if you dig into the other 11 teams IMO we are great space.

Well said. I think our success this season will hinge on how long it takes us to get into gear. A slow start may be quite costly...

8 hours ago, Jovan said:

This is lacking too much hysteria for mine, please delete.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
8 hours ago, heart1011 said:

Really hoping VDV is back sooner rather than later! The last 2 games have shown how much we rely on his attacking ability as such! Same goes for Leckie too!

Both of them have been big losses and our results have reflected that. Hoping they will be available for the game against Newcastle! 

• Like 1