Melbourne Football

Richard "The Lion" van der Venne

haz

Unlike Pucci this guy and been actively playing (in a better league too) before signing for us. 

First time playing abroad in his career though so I can see him having a slow start. 

Hope he packed his sun screen! 

Screenshot_20220623-043835_Brave.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Hopefully he bears a striking resemblance to de Bruyne in his impact on the team. he was a free transfer

He missed 14 matches last season because of injury and subsequent knee surgery. https://www.transfermarkt.com/richard-van-der-venne/verletzungen/spieler/376675

Overall though, underwhelming response to the signing news - perhaps we're all wary because of the Pucci fiasco.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

He missed 14 matches last season because of injury and subsequent knee surgery. https://www.transfermarkt.com/richard-van-der-venne/verletzungen/spieler/376675

Overall though, underwhelming response to the signing news - perhaps we're all wary because of the Pucci fiasco.

Hmm didn't know about the knee injury, hopefully he is going to be able to play the majority of the season... 

Pretty hard to get to hyped about visa players when we have had a hit and miss success rate so far. 

He does look pretty decent though so should do alright. Hopefully similar contribution as De Laet! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

He's come to use the Germano Treatment Centre, world renown.

• Haha 3

I'm quietly confident that VDV will smash it for us. 

He's come from playing regularly in a good European league and nabbed a few goals and assists. 

Also, he looks like he has a bit of mongrel in him and those type of players hit the ground running in the A-League. 

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

To remind myself not to get overhyped, I just read through the Pucciarelli thread (so much optimism at the start), but a true life tragedy! 

It all depends on how PK rates him, otherwise may just end up as another witches hat at training

apparently Pucciarelli was not out of favour with PK, Pucciarelli apparently just could not get to the necessary fitness levels needed 

42 minutes ago, Zanty said:

apparently Pucciarelli was not out of favour with PK, Pucciarelli apparently just could not get to the necessary fitness levels needed 

Source? I call bullshit. 

We’ve had several players who weren’t fit and got given game time to improve their fitness.

Pucci is 3rd or 4rd highest paid player in the team. What a shitshow and he’s still on our books. 

1 hour ago, Torn Asunder said:

To remind myself not to get overhyped, I just read through the Pucciarelli thread (so much optimism at the start), but a true life tragedy! 

It all depends on how PK rates him, otherwise may just end up as another witches hat at training

Agreed.

You remember Petrillo raving about Pucci, how they’ve done their homework and how well suited he was for our team.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This fitness thing shits me. You match the style of your play to the cattle that you have in the herd at your disposal. Matt Le Tissier is a perfect example - not noted for work-rate, stamina or pace but good enough to be a Southampton stalwart for 16 years and an England international. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Le_Tissier

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Having now had the chance to watch a lot of highlights on Wyscout, instead of pay attention at all in the meetings I'm supposed to be in he looks a lot more like he's played a lot further forward than Metcalfe, with the vast majority of his work done in (or in some cases beyond) the striker, which would be different to the role that Metcalfe played (not that I think that's a horrible plan, to be honest, because Aiden O'Neill can function very capably as a lone defensive midfielder in our system next to a Berenguer).

3 hours ago, Tommykins said:

Having now had the chance to watch a lot of highlights on Wyscout, instead of pay attention at all in the meetings I'm supposed to be in he looks a lot more like he's played a lot further forward than Metcalfe, with the vast majority of his work done in (or in some cases beyond) the striker, which would be different to the role that Metcalfe played (not that I think that's a horrible plan, to be honest, because Aiden O'Neill can function very capably as a lone defensive midfielder in our system next to a Berenguer).

I reckon he will play a very similar role to what KDB does at Man City, drifting wide on that left side with leckie cutting in, giving VDV the freedom to cross the ball into the box or drive in himself

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Was that the number "reserved for the fans" many seasons ago? Then Stefan Mauk had it I think (18/19?), and then Atkinson (19/20?).

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Atkinson i think

So did O'Neil want 13 or VDV demand he got 8?

On 15/07/2022 at 10:49 AM, haz said:

So did O'Neil want 13 or VDV demand he got 8?

Yeah weird, RDV seems to have always played with 10 so can't imagine why wants 8. Not sure who 10 is. 8 was Griff until last year when O'Neil took it and Griff went to 5. Maybe O'Neill doesn't want 8 now since he got injured in it and thinks 23 might be luckier 

1 hour ago, Le Hack said:

Yeah weird, RDV seems to have always played with 10 so can't imagine why wants 8. Not sure who 10 is. 8 was Griff until last year when O'Neil took it and Griff went to 5. Maybe O'Neill doesn't want 8 now since he got injured in it and thinks 23 might be luckier 

10 is (or was last season) Berenguer.

It would be nice if the club would keep the information on the website up-to-date.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

14 days to go until the league starts and this hasn’t played a simple minute in the longest pre-season in the world. Was he this injury prone in Europe too?

All signs are pointing to him being a Germano or at best warming the bench like Puciarelli...Midfield is probably going to be Berisha and Berengeur for a while at this rate...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

All signs are pointing to him being a Germano or at best warming the bench like Puciarelli...Midfield is probably going to be Berisha and Berengeur for a while at this rate...

The Pucci ghost is going to haunt the club for a few seasons yet.

Berenguer didn't play in the recent 2-4 loss - hamstring.  More likely we're going to see Berisha and O'Neill, although again neither will be match fit.

I think that what's most disappointing of all is that there's so little meaningful information from the club on our players. And by that I mean the men - FFS drop this "gender correctness" that APL and the club are obsessed with. It's not taking the A-League forward in any way whatsoever.

And membership packages...?

Edited by jw1739

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Berenguer didn't play in the recent 2-4 loss - hamstring.  More likely we're going to see Berisha and O'Neill, although again neither will be match fit.

I think that what's most disappointing of all is that there's so little meaningful information from the club on our players. And by that I mean the men - FFS drop this "gender correctness" that APL and the club are obsessed with. It's not taking the A-League forward in any way whatsoever.

I still don’t understand what was wrong with W-League.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

If VDV and Berenguer are injured for the first game maybe a O'Neill, Berisha, Tilio midfield?

11 hours ago, Nate said:

Jeez wouldn't be pre-season on the forum without a deluge of doom and gloom, would it?

To be fair I think you will struggle to find a pre-season where we have played fewer matches and achieved poorer results. A forward line that can't score, a porous defence and a suspect goalkeeper don't enthuse too many people.

• Thanks 3

16 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I've seen nothing to contradict my feelings about this season. We are going to be hammered, frequently, and we'll struggle to get anywhere near the finals.

I did a fantasy team and didn't put any city players in....only one I was tempted with is Berisha due to his history/quality but he hadn't been loaded in yet 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1