Melbourne Football

That feel when JA beats us to the title

Tesla

8 minutes ago, Kinnibari said:

If they do we'll have to smash them in the finals.

Ditto WS.

Do you really have that much confidence that JVS will beat Popovic in a finals game?

Popovic won the Asian Champions League with a NPL side.

JVS throws games any time the pressure is on.

Granted we are far superior on current form, but in a one off finals game I think WSW are a good chance to beat us TBH.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be very pleased at all considering that we should of been miles in front (points wise) when chasing for the premiership. Games against cellar dwellers such as Newcastle and Wellington should of been wins. However, the lose against Wellington away sparked this spectacular run of form in recent weeks. In spite of this, I am still not to sure who will win the premiership as it is a very hot heated contest. As Kisnorbo says in every single interview, I am just going to take it one game at a time.

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

Pretty 50-50 if you ask me, we have two tough games, they have one, but we are currently better.

So, how will we all feel if JA beats us to the league title?

I'll probably kill myself TBH.

If we still came second I wouldn't feel so bad about it. Because there are plenty of worse outcomes for us if the cards all fall the wrong way, and I don't even want to contemplate any of them.

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

Do you really have that much confidence that JVS will beat Popovic in a finals game?

Popovic won the Asian Champions League with a NPL side.

JVS throws games any time the pressure is on.

Granted we are far superior on current form, but in a one off finals game I think WSW are a good chance to beat us TBH.

I think the team has demonstrated in recent weeks they're mentally capable 

5 hours ago, Tesla said:

Pretty 50-50 if you ask me, we have two tough games, they have one, but we are currently better.

So, how will we all feel if JA beats us to the league title?

I'll probably kill myself TBH.

I won't really do anything. That is not consciously. I expect that after what ever it is my husk of a body does, I will be institutionalised.

12 hours ago, drewmelbcity said:

I reckon we will win both remaining games been very impressed with our form and we have looked solid at back. Have faith my fellow city supporters!

I've been starting to feel that if we win the last two games we will win the double. Momentum is everything

I am super nervous about this week's game... I feel that if we can beat Perth in Perth then we should finish top.

I just really want us to have the luxury of Home Finals as I think that having them could be the major factor in determining  us winning the GF plus my Away Trip days are pretty much passed me TBH.

• Like 3

The fact that JA is a chance to win the comp has convinced me that this league has a high degree of randomness in it. I think this league due to salary cap and other factors lets good coaches look shit and vice versa at times. Everyone is talking City winning the league but what would our chances have been without Mooy? Remove a player/add a player/injuries here and there/bit of bad luck/bit of good luck...

The fact is that there are at least three teams that could easily take out the title from here if things go well for them. If City does it JVS will look like a genius. If JA does then I guess he will too... I mean it's not like Brisbane has a better squad than City even if it is good.

For me any of the top 4 could win it this season. That is finishing first. And really this weeks round we have the hardest game. So basically this game against Perth in all effect is our grand final. 

Not sure how to feel. I'm confident and super nervous at the same time. Just feel a bit weird.

17 minutes ago, Jovan said:

For me any of the top 4 could win it this season. That is finishing first. And really this weeks round we have the hardest game. So basically this game against Perth in all effect is our grand final. 

Not sure how to feel. I'm confident and super nervous at the same time. Just feel a bit weird.

More nervous than confident for me.

6 hours ago, SF33 said:

I'm not sure why this scenario is any better or worse than Muscat and Victory being the current holder of every important piece of Australian silverware.

Because there's a fuckload of red lines to be handed out if he does win. Reps are on the line. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alexxxandro said:

The fact that JA is a chance to win the comp has convinced me that this league has a high degree of randomness in it. I think this league due to salary cap and other factors lets good coaches look shit and vice versa at times. Everyone is talking City winning the league but what would our chances have been without Mooy? Remove a player/add a player/injuries here and there/bit of bad luck/bit of good luck...

The fact is that there are at least three teams that could easily take out the title from here if things go well for them. If City does it JVS will look like a genius. If JA does then I guess he will too... I mean it's not like Brisbane has a better squad than City even if it is good.

The salary cap is meant to provide some randomness in terms of players but spending on good coaches and facilities is where teams can get ahead. I think JA is the beneficiary of the good times that Ange created. He just needs to tweak the team to plug holes as players leave. The system of play is well ingrained in those that played under Ange  - JA shouldn't mess with that if he's got half a brain.

I think that we're now a team that isn't reliant on just one individual as we showed last week. The good thing is that we've got goals scorers across our forward line and the back line has become much tighter. But if you take out Mooy, Bruno and Harry then that leaves a substantial hole. Probably the same goes for other HAL sides.

14 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

What happened was all his bad luck poured out when he was here, leaving only good luck for Brisbane 

On a serious note, I'd be interested in your honest views on a man-for-man comparison between the Brisbane squad and ours. I don't think our squad, despite the mid-season surgery, is all that some would crack it up to be.

Edited by jw1739

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

When are we going to admit that after all has been said and done JA is a championship winning coach. And it was a mistake to sack him.

The difference is, at Brisbane he can ask people with winning experience for advice. At Heart his option was to call the guy who played Kisnorbo as a striker on Skype to get help

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

On a serious note, I'd be interested in your honest views on a man-for-man comparison between the Brisbane squad and ours. I don't think our squad, despite the mid-season surgery, is all that some would crack it up to be.

Sorens v Young- Sorenson

Bowels Donachie Stefanutto Hingert North Brown v Zullo Franjic Wilkinson Kisnorbo Chapman Retre Garuccio Clisby: Our first choice back four IMO is better than theirs

Corona Hervais Lustica Klut Broich Mckay V Mooy, Caceras Melling Malik Zinni.  Mooy is the pick of the lot BUT h'ed be matched up against Corona.  Broich and Mckay are better than all ofour others

Mcclaren Henrique Petratos Solazarno V Fornaroli Novillo Gameiro Marino Fitzgerald Decker.  Fornaroli>McClaren, Novillo>the rest

Man for man we match and better them.  The difference is Brisbane have always played the ball on the deck even in the Farina days.  Its in their DNA no matter who coaches them

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Interesting question, I've really rated brisbane's squad, so lets have a look- I am comparing the current squads, if players left in January they are ignored and before anyone asks, yes its my opinion, so if (when) you disagree either suck it up or post your own view, but you can't do something like this unless you call it how you see it, so i will.  if guys have really bad injuries, I'm ignoring them.  For the brisbane players I've put their games in brackets after their name.

Goal Keepers:

Sorensen & Bozanic  v Young (17) & Theo (9)

Ok, well Brisbane probably have 2 No 1s whilst we clearly have a No 1 and a No 2.  Sorensen is the MUCH bigger name, but is he a better keeper than Young?  I think so and clearly.  

Defenders

Wilkinson, Kisnorbo, Chapman, Hughes (CBs); Franjic, Zullo, Clisby, Garuccio  vs North (26), Bowles (22), Hingert (25), Steffanuto (16), Brown (12), Donachie (7)

The Brisbane defense is not very highly regarded, but they have a couple of tough nuts in North and Bowles and the others at least know how to defend.  At city we are more dangerous going forward, but our wide backs in particular don't defend that well.  Still all in all I would say City have it*

Midfield

Malik, Mooy, Caceres, Melling, Retre,      vs Corona (26), Broich(26) , Hervas (16), McKay (23) , Lustica (21), Clut (8)

To me that starting 3 of McKay, Corona and Broich is superior, even if Mooy is better than all of them.

Forwards

Fornaroli, Novillo, Fitzgerald, Marino, Dekker, Kuzi etc vs MacLaren (22, 18), Borello (21, 5), Petratos (26, 6), Henrique (21, 8), Solorzano (7), Oar (3)

When you look at these the problem is obvious.  Whilst Roar have the magic of Henrique to come off the bench and get that winner, we have/had a couple of kids in Dekker or Marino (or a stepover addict in Kuzi).  Fortunately Fornaroli is a 90 minute striker so we have got away with it more than perhaps you normally would.  You can also see that the loss of Gameiro really hurts.  He would have added to the squad whether starting or off the bench, raising the matchday quality.  

Our best 2 are definitely better than there best 2, but after that its not the case, If you say MacLaren and Petratos are their top 2 (most games) their next 4 leave ours for dead (even though Fitzy is a handy player).

So what do I make of that?  Not sure, I think i can't split them.

All Up

When you compare the squads there is not a lot between them.  To me Brisbane have a tradesman like defence where as our would appear better, not much in midfield or up front.  Brisbane have more balance up front, but when you have a freak like Bruno Fornaroli, who needs balance?  To be honest i don't see a lot between the squads.

---------------

* I'm comparing the players, not how well they fulfill their roles under their current coaches.

Edited by Shahanga
white space
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Interesting question, I've really rated brisbane's squad, so lets have a look- I am comparing the current squads, if players left in January they are ignored and before anyone asks, yes its my opinion, so if (when) you disagree either suck it up or post your own view, but you can't do something like this unless you call it how you see it, so i will.  if guys have really bad injuries, I'm ignoring them.  For the brisbane players I've put their games in brackets after their name.

Goal Keepers:

Sorensen & Bozanic  v Young (17) & Theo (9)

Ok, well Brisbane probably have 2 No 1s whilst we clearly have a No 1 and a No 2.  Sorensen is the MUCH bigger name, but is he a better keeper than Young?  I think so and clearly.  

Defenders

Wilkinson, Kisnorbo, Chapman, Hughes (CBs); Franjic, Zullo, Clisby, Garuccio  vs North (26), Bowles (22), Hingert (25), Steffanuto (16), Brown (12), Donachie (7)

The Brisbane defense is not very highly regarded, but they have a couple of tough nuts in North and Bowles and the others at least know how to defend.  At city we are more dangerous going forward, but our wide backs in particular don't defend that well.  Still all in all I would say City have it*

Midfield

Malik, Mooy, Caceres, Melling, Retre,      vs Corona (26), Broich(26) , Hervas (16), McKay (23) , Lustica (21), Clut (8)

To me that starting 3 of McKay, Corona and Broich is superior, even if Mooy is better than all of them.

Forwards

Fornaroli, Novillo, Fitzgerald, Marino, Dekker, Kuzi etc vs MacLaren (22, 18), Borello (21, 5), Petratos (26, 6), Henrique (21, 8), Solorzano (7), Oar (3)

When you look at these the problem is obvious.  Whilst Roar have the magic of Henrique to come off the bench and get that winner, we have/had a couple of kids in Dekker or Marino (or a stepover addict in Kuzi).  Fortunately Fornaroli is a 90 minute striker so we have got away with it more than perhaps you normally would.  You can also see that the loss of Gameiro really hurts.  He would have added to the squad whether starting or off the bench, raising the matchday quality.  

Our best 2 are definitely better than there best 2, but after that its not the case, If you say MacLaren and Petratos are their top 2 (most games) their next 4 leave ours for dead (even though Fitzy is a handy player).

So what do I make of that?  Not sure, I think i can't split them.

All Up

When you compare the squads there is not a lot between them.  To me Brisbane have a tradesman like defence where as our would appear better, not much in midfield or up front.  Brisbane have more balance up front, but when you have a freak like Bruno Fornaroli, who needs balance?  To be honest i don't see a lot between the squads.

---------------

* I'm comparing the players, not how well they fulfill their roles under their current coaches.

No the comparison that will decide which side is better/stronger. 

JVS vs JA?