Melbourne Football

Sunday 7:00pm vs Perth Glory

kingofhearts

3 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

... and Mooy needs to be playing well. He looked tired tonight.

The other worrying thing was the suggestion that Wilkinson might go back to CCM, surely he can do better with us?

He has had a couple matches like that for us this season. Which is why I'm not as confident as others that he can be a star in Europe. Looking good when you're 4-0 up is not what counts - it's being a game-changer when you're 0-1 down.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Positives:
Bruno will surely win the Golden Boot now.
JvS will come under very close scrutiny.

Negatives:
We are just not quite consistent enough to be Premiers. Like the little girl - when we are good we are very, very good, and when we are bad we are horrid.
We probably won't get a home final because of the FFA, and it's unlikely that we will win the Championship.

yep.

What that train wreck does show that even if we play shit, we just need to keep the score down, because with El Tuna we are always in the game- same as a boxer with a knock out punch.  So in the finals who knows, but I do know we don't deserve anything.

• Like 1

Just a heads up for my fellow city fans to refrain from interacting with Victards, as a Victard may mention on numerous occasions in his/her speech in regards to the amount of trophies that their team has won when comparing it to the amount of City's. Therefore, a Victard may sound like a broken record.

1 minute ago, Thiem said:

Just a heads up for my fellow city fans to refrain from interacting with Victards, as a Victard may mention on numerous occasions in his/her speech in regards to the amount of trophies that their team has won when comparing it to the amount of City's. Therefore, a Victard may sound like a broken record.

Yes but us snatching failure from the jaws of success is also a broken record

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

... and Mooy needs to be playing well. He looked tired tonight.

The other worrying thing was the suggestion that Wilkinson might go back to CCM, surely he can do better with us?

What?? Wilko would go to CCM?

Mooy was off his game tonight.

Just now, belaguttman said:

It was mentioned during the commentary

I didn't hear that.

Why would he go from a top team to the wooden spooners, why would he go from a team with Euro contacts, to a team who will pawn players off to any bidder?

1 minute ago, moops said:

I didn't hear that.

Why would he go from a top team to the wooden spooners, why would he go from a team with Euro contacts, to a team who will pawn players off to any bidder?

...and will pay him nothing. Dunno, I was surprised to hear it, maybe he's putting the story around to try and get a better deal from us. I'd pay it

• Like 1

So disappointed. I shouldn't be but I am. I should know who I support and therefore I should not be disappointed but I am.

Anyway chatting with my brother - is Franjic an improvement on Hoffman? I don't think so. Now I was never a fan of Hoffman but I have to say that I felt that the Hoff gave more than what Franjic does. Franjic may have better skills (I remain to be convinced) but I don't think he ever gives his all. I think the team needs someone better than franjic.

As for the team, they looked tired when they ran onto the field and then they really got tired. I have to say that PG really physically worked the team over and the ref let it go. We really need an absolute psycho to be given three games a season against PG whose sole role is to break their ankles.

None the less PG wanted to win more.

My take on the night.

Mooy played badly and should have been subbed, which is strange because the internationals were here, I wonder if he has been offered a contract already? Or maybe he was just to tired and I should take off my tin foil hat.

JVS plan was all wrong tonight, we know Glory play a 442 and pretty much their game plan. But anyway, trying to match it with them, we were doing badly, should have gone to the 433 (or god forbid, the 352) to overload the central midfield IMO.

WE just lost the league tonight, but are in a better position than last year, I don't know what to make of tonight, I'm pissed, but it is our best season?

6 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

...and will pay him nothing. Dunno, I was surprised to hear it, maybe he's putting the story around to try and get a better deal from us. I'd pay it

Probably mate, who knows?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Anyway chatting with my brother - is Franjic an improvement on Hoffman? I don't think so. Now I was never a fan of Hoffman but I have to say that I felt that the Hoff gave more than what Franjic does. Franjic may have better skills (I remain to be convinced) but I don't think he ever gives his all. I think the team needs someone better than franjic.

Not sure if serious.

• Like 1

Honestly surprised Garuccio has escaped some criticism over the past couple of weeks and tonight was no exception. Thought he has been very poor, but in saying that, don't blame him for playing the way he has been considering he isn't being played in his preferred position, and there's only one person to blame for that being the case....

I thought Perth were absolutely brilliant tonight. What a team, at least at home! Kenny Lowe had our game-plan down to a tee, and if it weren't for their sloppiness near the end I would have assessed it as a perfect performance. With 14000 raucous home fans behind them and the energy and confidence they have, there was no way they were dropping points in this game. They're a bunch of fighters with a couple of real flair players and we had no answer.

A disappointing result and performance, certainly, but we can't throw in the towel. This is probably the toughest fixture in the league at the moment, and we still managed a couple of goals. It looks unlikely but I'm still positive we can snare a top-two finish. If that happens, nobody will want to come to AAMI for a semi final. I feel if we finish outside the top two, however, it's probably curtains for our championship hopes. Western Sydney, Perth and Adelaide strike me as teams that can win away from home in a big game, but us and Brisbane are really reliant on finish top 2 to have a genuine chance. I feel that WSW are too professional to drop points in Wellington, meaning that we'll have to be raucous Victory supporters on Saturday night if we managed a win on Friday.

• Like 1

Too angry to post much. This defeat was far too similar to the elimination final in Perth in Melbourne Heart's second season, where a Smeltz-led Perth put 3 past us, and we all know who the common denominator is..

Tactically we were outplayed, especially for the first hour. Our best players Fornaroli, Mooy and Novillo got little of the ball in good areas, while Perth's Castro got the ball frequently in good areas. And whatever formation was pulled out of a hat this week didn't help us in attack or defence. We looked better towards the end of the game when we put more players in attacking positions, and probably should have played with a full 4-3-3 all game.

And intensity-wise Perth were superior. They were physical/thuggish, and the ref did little to stamp it out (another game where our most creative players Fornaroli and Novillo got pushed around for most of the game). But players weren't seemingly busting a gut often enough. Our big 3, Fornaroli, Novillo, Mooy, weren't always playing at 100% intensity or making the best decisions. Also Caceres was a ghost (and fair enough was dragged for Retre around the hour mark), and our defenders (maybe except for Wilkinson) were inconsistent. Also we lucked out with Zullo going off injured in the first half, and Malik copping a soft and debatable yellow at the start of the 2nd half which kept him walking on eggshells for the rest of the game.

I guess we can pray for Brisbane to lose against victory and WSW to not win (either draw or lose) against Wellington, and a win at home against Adelaide should put us top. But all that is probably unlikely and 1st place will likely elude us.

I pity the supporters who traveled out to Perth, and hope some things made it worth their while. It's looking like the club will limp over the finish line again. Hopefully the club finishes strongly at AAMI on Friday and in the finals, and finally gives its supporters something to cheer.

6 minutes ago, moops said:

My take on the night.

Mooy played badly and should have been subbed, which is strange because the internationals were here, I wonder if he has been offered a contract already? Or maybe he was just to tired and I should take off my tin foil hat.

JVS plan was all wrong tonight, we know Glory play a 442 and pretty much their game plan. But anyway, trying to match it with them, we were doing badly, should have gone to the 433 (or god forbid, the 352) to overload the central midfield IMO.

WE just lost the league tonight, but are in a better position than last year, I don't know what to make of tonight, I'm pissed, but it is our best season?

Probably mate, who knows?

Mooy has flown from Melbourne to Adelaide, Adelaide to Sydney, Sydney to Melbourne, Melbourne to Perth and played 2 internationals before this game

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

So disappointed. I shouldn't be but I am. I should know who I support and therefore I should not be disappointed but I am.

As for the team, they looked tired when they ran onto the field and then they really got tired. I have to say that PG really physically worked the team over and the ref let it go. We really need an absolute psycho to be given three games a season against PG whose sole role is to break their ankles.

None the less PG wanted to win more.

it is relative, Franjic has been pretty middling and the Hoff has improved, I think next year Franjic will be awesome, well I hope so.

3 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Mooy has flown from Melbourne to Adelaide, Adelaide to Sydney, Sydney to Melbourne, Melbourne to Perth and played 2 internationals before this game

True a one off flight to adelaide or sydney is nothing, but three flights in pretty much 2 weeks must tire you.

Did you see Rogic play for Celtic after his local flights here and his 26 hr flight to Scotland, got one assist. Just to put things in perspective, I was expecting a lot more from him, but I do understand people react differently.

Castro showed why he's right up there for the Johnny Warren medal. Absolute gun performance - almost untouchable tonight. And what a volleyed goal he scored! On our side it took a moment of Fornaroli magic to spark some life into our dead carcass. An individual effort of sheer class beating 3 players to slot it in. Marino should be delighted with his effort as well. I've been on Harry's side this season and he can deliver but he does have a touch of the 'luxury player' about him. Was well held by Risdon. Mooy, unlike Castro, was barely influential and that pretty much starved our strikers of opportunities. Having said that, to come back with 2 goals was pleasing but sh!t we could easily have been down by 5 or 6 at that stage. Gotta get over this pretty quickly and come out firing on Friday night.

10 minutes ago, AzureKingfisher said:

I thought Perth were absolutely brilliant tonight. What a team, at least at home! Kenny Lowe had our game-plan down to a tee, and if it weren't for their sloppiness near the end I would have assessed it as a perfect performance. With 14000 raucous home fans behind them and the energy and confidence they have, there was no way they were dropping points in this game. They're a bunch of fighters with a couple of real flair players and we had no answer.

A disappointing result and performance, certainly, but we can't throw in the towel. This is probably the toughest fixture in the league at the moment, and we still managed a couple of goals. It looks unlikely but I'm still positive we can snare a top-two finish. If that happens, nobody will want to come to AAMI for a semi final. I feel if we finish outside the top two, however, it's probably curtains for our championship hopes. Western Sydney, Perth and Adelaide strike me as teams that can win away from home in a big game, but us and Brisbane are really reliant on finish top 2 to have a genuine chance. I feel that WSW are too professional to drop points in Wellington, meaning that we'll have to be raucous Victory supporters on Saturday night if we managed a win on Friday.

Castro tore us a new one tonight, he was on fire

3 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

Castro showed why he's right up there for the Johnny Warren medal. Absolute gun performance - almost untouchable tonight. And what a volleyed goal he scored! On our side it took a moment of Fornaroli magic to spark some life into our dead carcass. An individual effort of sheer class beating 3 players to slot it in. Marino should be delighted with his effort as well. I've been on Harry's side this season and he can deliver but he does have a touch of the 'luxury player' about him. Was well held by Risdon. Mooy, unlike Castro, was barely influential and that pretty much starved our strikers of opportunities. Having said that, to come back with 2 goals was pleasing but sh!t we could easily have been down by 5 or 6 at that stage. Gotta get over this pretty quickly and come out firing on Friday night.

Castro was literally untouched tonight. Inexplicably given so much room to run at our defenders with players backing off him. He picked up the ball quite deep, should have had a real defender on him. JVS should have tactically adjusted but as usual didn't

15 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

And intensity-wise Perth were superior. They were physical/thuggish, and the ref did little to stamp it out (another game where our most creative players Fornaroli and Novillo got pushed around for most of the game).

I reckon for some reason, halfway through the season they started to let a lot of challenges go when they would have called foul or carded, I don't know what happened, but it went against us certainly and I didn't like the change.

9 minutes ago, heart_fan10 said:

again the squad we had was not good enough to win the league.

the question I have is why wasn't a replacement marquee signed and/or a guest player? 

Firstly the right player has to be available, secondly we have a good enough squad. The real question is why wasn't a better coach signed?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Firstly the right player has to be available, secondly we have a good enough squad. The real question is why wasn't a better coach signed?

our squad is one of the best, Perth are no bunnies for sure, Risdon, Warren, Harrold, Castro, Keoh.

Our game plan tonight wasn't right, only one man to blame and we were never in it TBH

1 minute ago, Embee said:

Another loss at Etihad in the finals incoming.

This fucking football club.

I reckon if we come against Fucktree, we will win, half their team are out of form or pissed and leaving at the end.

What the fuck horse shit was that performance. Nearly every player should look in the mirror and punch themselves in the face after that insipid display. And JVS should punch himself in the face for not punching some cunts in the face at half time for the dog shit they were producing out there. Instead he sits there like a cunt waiting to be fucked. JVS is a vagina and he got fucked by Kenny Lowe.

Fuck fuck fuck. 

10 minutes ago, heart_fan10 said:

obviously you were watching a different game tonight 

How many players is enough?

How many more good players does CFG need to buy to cover over the cracks of JVS' very poor coaching?

IMO we have the players right now to win the league. It's JVS that is holding us back.

(However i think we also need to give Perth some credit for tonight too, completely outplayed us. However it doesn't help when your coach sees that your down, and does nothing fucking about it!)

• Like 3

• jw1739 locked this topic
  • jw1739 unlocked this topic