Melbourne Football

Sunday 7:00pm vs Perth Glory

kingofhearts

12 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

An early goal would be perfect, as I reckon we'd go on to score a few more. Hopefully Malik has pulled up well enough to play - didn't see him in any of the travel photos on Twitter. If he doesn't play, I'd actually play Mooy as the screening midfielder and leave Caceres as the attacker. 

18 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Completely agree with TA if Malik doesnt come up. Im bullish about our chances; don't know how you couldnt be with the holy trinity at your disposal...

Malik is there. Saw him with their snap chat video of the session last night. Cant miss that hair  haha

• Like 1

Unfortunatly I am piss weak and wont be able to watch the game at all, too nervous haha. Someone do me a favour  and post in the Sack JVS thread after the game if we lose, thats how I usually find out if we have lost if I cant watch a game ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Unfortunatly I am piss weak and wont be able to watch the game at all, too nervous haha. Someone do me a favour  and post in the Sack JVS thread after the game if we lose, thats how I usually find out if we have lost if I cant watch a game ;) 

How are you going to cope with Friday night? If we win tonight and we have a chance to win it all on Friday night I don't think I'll be able to cope.  Contemplating putting the kids to bed early and watching from home rather than going!!

On 31 March 2016 at 6:05 AM, KSK_47 said:

Oh stuffed up that quote. In regards to @Dylan s worry about travel and the weather:

Takes about 2 weeks to acclimatise. 1 extra day won't help much on that score.

Not sure what the answer is, but don't travel on game day is all I know.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 2

The skeptic / Melbourne Heart fan in me says the lads will find some way of fucking this up.

That said, I actually take confidence from (a.) the resilience our boys have shown in being able to come back from a few goals - even if we go on to lose (aka Wanderers 4-3, tards 3-2), and (b.) Perth's recent form doesn't tell a complete picture.

Many would look at the 12 rounds since round 14 and see 28 points in 12 games.  Yet that only includes 4 points in 4 games against top 5 sides (of which 3 games were at home where we drew 2-2 with Perth).

As good as the Glory have been, I seriously doubt that they have been tested by the better sides.

As such I think we will win

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JC22 said:

As good as it was watching Berisha's red card yesterday and knowing he'll miss the first final - probably makes a win today even more important given that we may need Victory to beat Brisbane next week.

Why will he miss the first final? Won't he just miss the last round of the regular season?

7 minutes ago, Thiem said:

Are many MCFC fans making it over to Perth for the match?

I have, and I know there are a couple others that have traveled.

Plus it is Victorian school holidays so I'd expect that there is a greater chance of a few more travellers since families might think this weekend is a good chance to get away to nice 25-30 degree weather for one last time before winter. No guarantee though.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

The skeptic / Melbourne Heart fan in me says the lads will find some way of fucking this up.

That said, I actually take confidence from (a.) the resilience our boys have shown in being able to come back from a few goals - even if we go on to lose (aka Wanderers 4-3, tards 3-2), and (b.) Perth's recent form doesn't tell a complete picture.

Many would look at the 12 rounds since round 14 and see 28 points in 12 games.  Yet that only includes 4 points in 4 games against top 5 sides (of which 3 games were at home where we drew 2-2 with Perth).

As good as the Glory have been, I seriously doubt that they have been tested by the better sides.

As such I think we will win

Yeah, leaning towards a win. The last 4 Glory games have been wins against Jets (twice), CCM and Nux. Our last four have been wins against Nux, Pissants, Roar and Smurfs.

Our mentality has improved out-of-sight with the new lads and team spirit seems high. JvS just needs to make the right moves and the players I'm sure are just itching to respond. Our recent away win against the Pissants was huge but this would take us to another level in terms of momentum. Fark I can't wait for the game to start.

• Like 2

Melbourne City's punt on 'experienced winners' could deliver enormous dividend

Michael Lynch

April 2, 2016

It's said that the future belongs to those who plan for it. 

A team's past history has an impact on subsequent behaviours, but it doesn't completely determine what will happen in the future.

That's very much the view Melbourne City coach John van 't Schip takes as his team heads to Perth for the first of two games in five days, which could be the most significant matches the club has yet played in its six-year existence.

City are on the verge of making history of their own in the next week. Of all the clubs involved in the battle for the A-League Premiership, it alone has its destiny in its own hands.

If van 't Schip's free-scoring team wins both matches, it will win the title, simple as that. 

Such is its vast goal difference that no-one else can overtake it even if they do manage to finish on the same number of points.  

If City beat Perth on Sunday, then Adelaide next Friday, only Brisbane (with a home game against Newcastle and a trip to Melbourne to face Victory to come) could match their points tally: but Roar's goal difference of plus-eight is vastly inferior to City's plus-22.

Ask van 't Schip about nerves in the dressing room ahead of the biggest week in the club's history and he smiles, saying his recruitment policy in the past nine months means there are now plenty of players with big-game experience who won't be daunted by the challenge ahead.

The club acknowledged at the end of last season, when it tamely surrendered to Melbourne Victory in the penultimate game of the campaign (a 3-0 semi-final defeat) that it needed some wiser, older heads to add steel and toughness to the talented youngsters it had accrued. It needed winners in the dressing room to provide an example.

Some of those signings have worked out splendidly – striker Bruno Fornaroli and goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen have been excellent – while others, such as injury-prone defender Aaron Hughes, have not.

But the overall impact has been positive, and taken City to the brink of their greatest home and away season yet.

"History is one thing but the present is what it's all about. You can't compare Melbourne City as it is now with Melbourne Heart as it was in the beginning. I don't do that. We just look forward, we know what we have here at the moment," says the Dutchman.

"We know we are going to have a tough game in Perth but we have players who know how to deal with tough games, who have experienced these kind of matches in the past.

"We wanted a different energy" is how van 't Schip described the off-season recruiting philosophy.

"We tried to get characters and personality into the dressing room, I think we achieved that, we have players who know what it means to play in these kind of games. They are bringing that kind of mentality over to the other players, so hopefully everybody gets to another level by that."

Momentum at this stage of the season is crucial. A winning mentality breeds confidence and players go into every game thinking they can do the job. City, Perth and Adelaide are the three teams most on a roll at this point, and van 't Schip is determined that his team should retain its advantage.

"We are happy that we are in this position. We have to play and follow the game plan and not get carried away. There are still two big games coming up.

"From the start [of the season] we said we have got a strong group. We also knew we would struggle in the beginning because of the injuries we had," he says of City's early season inconsistency.

"We worked for it [to be on top at this late stage of the season]. We saw that the group was getting stronger, players were getting fit, players were coming back from injuries, so it gave us more possibilities to get players into the team and change around."

Both City and Perth are the most effective teams in the league at creating opportunities from set pieces, so the delivery from a player such as Aaron Mooy, back in the squad after missing the win over Wellington because he was away on Socceroo duties, will be crucial.

Van 't Schip knows he can rely on him, and scoffs at suggestions that City's poor record in the west will have any impact on Sunday's outcome.

"All of the clubs have problems going to Perth. History doesn't count. We just have to take it as the game comes. It's a final kind of game. It's a game we need to win and they need to win," he said.

"Aaron continues doing what he is doing. The main and most important  thing is that he doesn't get bothered by what happens around him. 

"The moment he steps on to the pitch that's his comfort zone, that's where he knows he can express himself and that's what he is doing. We try to facilitate the team and everything for a player like Aaron so that he can achieve as good as possible his talents. He shows that in helping the team."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-citys-punt-on-experienced-winners-could-deliver-enormous-dividend-20160401-gnwmo0.html

4 hours ago, Dylan said:

I'm pretty much the same usually, but not so bad this time. This is the best season we've ever had by a mile, even though it's possible that we could finish as low as fifth and win nothing. We've seen some of the best football ever played at club level here, with Mooy, Fornaroli and Novillo ably backed up by the rest of the squad. Some sensational individual goals and a bagful of goals over the season. We've actually had the toughest draw of the title contenders over the last 6-7 matches of the season. And it doesn't help with teams like Sydney last night fielding two players making their A-League debut, and Newcastle letting go their striker who has scored 9 out of their measly 23 goals, both clubs facing contenders for the title alongside us. IMO the league does need to look at ways of maintaining the integrity of the last rounds of the competition.

It will be a let down if we don't win something or somehow don't get a home final, but nevertheless it will have been a season to remember for many other reasons.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm pretty much the same usually, but not so bad this time. This is the best season we've ever had by a mile, even though it's possible that we could finish as low as fifth and win nothing. We've seen some of the best football ever played at club level here, with Mooy, Fornaroli and Novillo ably backed up by the rest of the squad. Some sensational individual goals and a bagful of goals over the season. We've actually had the toughest draw of the title contenders over the last 6-7 matches of the season. And it doesn't help with teams like Sydney last night fielding two players making their A-League debut, and Newcastle letting go their striker who has scored 9 out of their measly 23 goals, both clubs facing contenders for the title alongside us. IMO the league does need to look at ways of maintaining the integrity of the last rounds of the competition.

It will be a let down if we don't win something or somehow don't get a home final, but nevertheless it will have been a season to remember for many other reasons.

you would hope that the greatest attack in aleague history, and how amazing that it is factually correct to say that, would be rewarded with something and hopefully the double. I look at all the records we have broken this season, potentially recruited the greatest striker in A league history and then along with that, things falling our way, like Wilko and Mooy being unavailable only for one game against the easiest team we had in our run in (and we still played them off the park). I sit here and think now, surely this all means we are going to get something. 

Still wont be able to watch the game haha

• Like 2

I am an absolute wreck today. Have not been able to concentrate on anything for more than a few seconds. I genuinely think we will win both games and as Dylan pointed out with the best attack in a league history as well as a host of other bests, we really shouldn't fear anyone.

But there are too many collapses fresh in my mind to be comfortable

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

I have, and I know there are a couple others that have traveled.

Plus it is Victorian school holidays so I'd expect that there is a greater chance of a few more travellers since families might think this weekend is a good chance to get away to nice 25-30 degree weather for one last time before winter. No guarantee though.

On the other hand, with finals coming up people might be saving their away trips for that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kinnibari said:

Why will he miss the first final? Won't he just miss the last round of the regular season?

Could get 2 or more because it was violent conduct. Depends what the MRP do.

As to the game, I'm confident of a win. Our best XI on the park, strong form and a premiership on the line. 

Castro needs to be contained though. 

• jw1739 locked this topic
  • jw1739 unlocked this topic