Melbourne Football

Sunday 7:00pm vs Perth Glory

kingofhearts

What a heartbreaking night for this football club. Thought we got our tactics wrong, we should've gone in with a very defensive-first mindset, away from home at a graveyard of a venue, simply just aimed to get to 70 mins 0-0 and then attempt to pounce on the rebound. As it was our inability to string many passes together for the first 45 seemed to sap us of any confidence. Perhaps Novillo should've played more centrally, we needed players of his capability getting more of the ball.

Premiers plate = would need a miracle

ACL qualification = very difficult (finishing 2nd would require other favourable results)

Finals = most likely scenarios a Victory elimination final at bloody Etihad or an away match at Perth.

Deeply disappointing.

• Like 1

I am pretty disappointed, not only because we lost but the style of play. For the life of me I couldn't work out the tactical theme. Before this game I thought it was quite clear what tactics JVS would use as it was a no brainer to do the same of what we did to Adelaide, shut them down with defensive zones, smother the supply, and use the counter. But I wouldn't have a clue where to start withe this one, as it was a game of nothing.

JVS really needs to go, as that was blatant mismanagement.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

Franjic and Garuccio were aweful last night. Was really sick of seeing them get turned regularly and also watching franjic pass it straight to glory attackers was frustrating.

was caceras on the pitch last night? 

Novillo you lazy prick. Make some movement off the ball, give our guys an option.don't just stand still out wide

Every time this shit happens in these Away Games we should win it usually starts from Mooy not being able to dominate a game early...

If he gets man marked well like in WS or if like last night those around him are playing poorly and dont give it to him when he has enough time to be creative it then causes him to be stuck with the ball a little forward of centre and being pressed hard by the opposition and unable thus unable to draw Novillo and Tuna into the game.

I am not blaming him, rather blaming the fact the JVS as a Manager has no Plan B for when this shit happens... he just hopes Mooy can be BOG game after game and that this will see him through the Season. Reminds me of Geelong in the 90's with Gaz Snr.

Also seriously can Garuccio just fuck off now, he is not #yoof anymore and we are not Melbourne Heart so we dont need to peddle the Walkerist shit about blokes like him being some Superstar on the Rise. That first goal was a shocker and its deplorable nature killed the game instantly... its hard to lift your head up after that shit.

Finally: You know we are going to throw away a great chance to progress as a club when The Gimp is packed to watch an Away Game... only time this has not happened in like seven games was the Wellington Game last Season.

Edited by cadete

Not much else can be said about this one.

Castro is difficult to contain but we gave him far too much space and time. 

The squad looked lethargic. Mooy was cooked after 20 minutes and the rest looked slow. Caceres invisible out wide.

One positive was Marino's goal. Very professional finish from the young bloke. I'd like to see him given some more time on the park (with Bruno of course).

Edited by Harrison

The biggest glaring difference between the two teams was we were second best to most balls, coupled with our lack of effective use with the ball and their ability to get between our lines we simply looked average. Without having seen the game again I can't make out whether it was an intensity/desire issue or a tactical/management issue which made us look like this, or both? Or perhaps simply winning 5-6 games in a row was just too much to ask. Our shortfalls earlier on asked too much of us at the tail end of the season. 

Regarding the game on first impression though I'd put more blame at the players feet for the first half performance. But the second half was JVS. We went into half time performing poorly but 0-0 and it was his opportunity to do something to get the team firing. Instead we end up going down 3 goals inside a 16 minute window. I'm struggling to answer a few questions like what he said at half time to the team, why he pushed Kisnorbo up forward instead of putting Marino on immediately, which he ended up doing eventually, why there wasn't a tactical change done much earlier in the game to shut down their dangerous players. 

The thing is one week JVS has shown he can make all these tactical changes or he's shown he can have an impact on the teams intensity at times. It's the reason why the 'Sack JVS' thread goes quiet for a while then springs to life again. Because he has shown the qualities of a manager that is on the verge of getting shit together. Even last week we beat the Nix to go top of the league where normally this is a tripping point for him. He just can't produce that quality management on a consistent basis. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, cadete said:

How good is it when you realise you follow the A-League equivalent of Richmond... whenever shit is on the line we flop.

Only difference is we don't have a history of sacking our coaches.

Unfortunately.

1 hour ago, cadete said:

Every time this shit happens in these Away Games we should win it usually starts from Mooy not being able to dominate a game early...

If he gets man marked well like in WS or if like last night those around him are playing poorly and dont give it to him when he has enough time to be creative it then causes him to be stuck with the ball a little forward of centre and being pressed hard by the opposition and unable thus unable to draw Novillo and Tuna into the game.

I am not blaming him, rather blaming the fact the JVS as a Manager has no Plan B for when this shit happens... he just hopes Mooy can be BOG game after game and that this will see him through the Season. Reminds me of Geelong in the 90's with Gaz Snr.

Also seriously can Garuccio just fuck off now, he is not #yoof anymore and we are not Melbourne Heart so we dont need to peddle the Walkerist shit about blokes like him being some Superstar on the Rise. That first goal was a shocker and its deplorable nature killed the game instantly... its hard to lift your head up after that shit.

Finally: You know we are going to throw away a great chance to progress as a club when The Gimp is packed to watch an Away Game... only time this has not happened in like seven games was the Wellington Game last Season.

Garuccio is no full back, especially against a competent winger but JVS insists on playing him there. Why wasn't Clisby on the bench?

Just now, belaguttman said:

Garuccio is no full back, especially against a competent winger but JVS insists on playing him there. Why wasn't Clisby on the bench?

Absolutely! Garuccio and Zullo are similar wing-back type defenders. Against a team with that many attacking players an out and out LB - Clisby should have started and at a minimum should have been on the bench.

3 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I would have had Clisby there instead of Chapman, with Garuccio the emergency. Chapman isn't versatile enough for the bench.

Then I would have brought Clisby on, that was the sort of game that would have suited him.

Anyway whatever.

Went out last night so purposely turned the phone off so i wouldn't know the result until watching the replay this morning. Well at least my night wasn't ruined. Absolutely gutless performance, it was as if the players weren't aware that a premiers plate was on the line. Novillo had arguably his worst game ever for the club. Caught out so many times and just threw his arms up and never chased back. Garuccio put in another poor shift getting turned too many times and blasting passes with no particular aim. 

Bitterly disappointing performance, especially for those who traveled. Who knows which Melbourne City team will turn up Friday night? 

How good was Cockerall and Harnwell as commentators? They didn't add to our pain much, did they? Also, loved hearing the extended remix of Bound for Glory at both the start and end of the match.

Mooy was flat, no doubt from Socceroo duties, and JVS had no answer to the tactical brilliance of Lowe. 

It will be a miracle if we can bounce back against Adelaide. Imagine a final away to Perth ... Oh, the horror!!!

Edited by Torn Asunder

My expectations were ruined last night. I honestly expected a win and as a minimum a draw. The realisation that we will never have a team like this makes me thing we have to wait another 6 years to have a chance at the premiers plate. Even if we beat every team now by 3 goals plus and winning the Grand Finals I want JVS out. Another year of him at the helm will bring me to depression

2 hours ago, cadete said:

How good is it when you realise you follow the A-League equivalent of Richmond... whenever shit is on the line we flop.

I was thinking along the lines of Fremantle under Connolly/Harvey when we couldn't win away but we were hot shit at home, as well as crumbling when we had a Friday night game or something. 

Edited by hedaik

Just now, Tony999 said:

The realisation that we will never have a team like this makes me thing we have to wait another 6 years to have a chance at the premiers plate.

You don't need the best A-League squad to win the Premier's Plate.  And now that we are City owned we'll probably have the best squad quite often anyway.

6 minutes ago, hedaik said:

I was thinking along the lines of Fremantle under Connolly/Harvey when we couldn't win away but we were hot shit at home, as well as crumbling when we had a Friday night game or something. 

LOL - Yeah you are right very very similar...

Like how at Home they would flog Collingwood by 100 points and Medhurst would kick seven or something and idiot fans would do The Mexican Wave even though anyone who knew anything about footy would know the next week they would lose an Away game in the first five minutes against a shithouse side.

The whole era was summed up by bloody Cupido of all PPL ripping Freo to shit in their first Final at Subiaco.

6 minutes ago, Alexxxandro said:

You don't need the best A-League squad to win the Premier's Plate.  And now that we are City owned we'll probably have the best squad quite often anyway.

But we have the BEST squad and still can't win let alone win the premier's plate by not having the best squad!

3 hours ago, HeartOfCity said:

Caceres and Mooy dont work in the midfield aswell as just Mooy by himself. Its either Caceres or Mooy no double dipping JVS. Caceres should have come on last night for Mooy after the half.

They can work together, its just that obviously Caseres was given a role that he can't fulfill. Would have thought having Mooy LM and Casernes CAM would have been a much better option. Anyway.

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

I would have had Clisby there instead of Chapman, with Garuccio the emergency. Chapman isn't versatile enough for the bench.

Then I would have brought Clisby on, that was the sort of game that would have suited him.

Anyway whatever.

Chapman would have been better starting as a LB sitting deep and nullifying the supply. Maybe he hasn't got the pace but his marking and defensive ability would have been a much better option, but have to agree, Clisby was the one to start there.

Edited by playmaker

1 hour ago, Tony999 said:

But we have the BEST squad and still can't win let alone win the premier's plate by not having the best squad!

I was just pointing out the problem isn't the quality of the squad. That's not why we are not going to win the Premier's Plate. I'd rather have the third best squad and the best coach.

59 minutes ago, Alexxxandro said:

I was just pointing out the problem isn't the quality of the squad. That's not why we are not going to win the Premier's Plate. I'd rather have the third best squad and the best coach.

So the bottom line is: our coach is for the tip

Just now, Tony999 said:

So the bottom line is: our coach is for the tip

No, probably a five year contract extension to prevent from getting homesick for Mexico again... poor bloke he must be really missing that place bad having been here now for even longer than his first stint.

a few points: 

- JVS' man-management skills are poor to god-awful. He does minimal talking with players pre-match and no talking post-match, especially with regards to the importance of matches and firing up the players. His believes/approach about going into important games is that "everybody knows the match is important], so we don’t need to put any more, let’s say, pressure. We just need to stick to our game plan". He in effect tries to take emotions out of football, and by pretty much ignoring man-management he overlooks one important dimension of coaching that lots of very successful coaches (e.g. Mourinho, Postecoglou) use to the utmost. It's further why the club places such importance on "the team having big personalities", because the coach is a cop out when it comes to leadership and firing up the players

-  Mooy was quiet/contained in the first half by his incredibly high standards, which can perhaps be explained by his 2 Socceroos matches and 3 games over 10 or so days. And still he produced 2 assists, created the most chances (6), played the most passes (54) and had the best passing accuracy (90.7%--not counting Retre, who only played 15 passes)

- The bigger problem was that there was no "Plan B". While against a weaker side like Wellington the team was able to produce a pretty solid win, the team was unable to control the game and get a result with Mooy being well-marshaled for the first half--lending support to the idea of "no Mooy no Melb City", as least with regards to matches against other top teams in the A-League

Most unfortunately our alternatives to Mooy--Caceres and Novillo in particular--were extremely underwhelming in this big game. Caceres barely made 13 passes (at 69.2% accuracy) over one hour; compare with Retre who completed 15 passes over 32 minutes at 100% accuracy. While Novillo just had one of his sooky off-nights 

- JVS' Kisnorbo to striker idea, that he persevered with for 10 minutes, was lunacy. Marino should have been subbed on immediately

- Garuccio's passing continues to hover around 60% per game. Simply not permissible for a professional football to give away 4 passes out of every 10, and he must improve

- Just like the loss away to Wellington, the team was physically bullied out of the match, lost most 50-50s and simply wilted under pressure

- Credit to Marino for doing what the like of Novillo couldn't do: produce a goal in this important game (even if it was an "easy" goal)

All up the whole club deserves a rocket after that performance and rocket, and the team needs to show it has some pride and produce a performance this Friday.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

- JVS' Kisnorbo to striker idea, that he persevered with for 10 minutes, was lunacy. Marino should have been subbed on immediately

-- Credit to Marino for doing what the like of Novillo couldn't do: produce a goal in this important game (even if it was an "easy" goal)

1. Kisnorbo as striker is an idea that we have flirted with before, at the death, in a few games.  Hasn't achieved much, but it could have its place.  A few things though, i wouldn't do it for more than 10 minutes and then only at the death.  If I did do it, he is there for only one thing and that is to knock down long balls to Tuna.  I didn't see a long ball*, so why put him up there, also moving him left 3 at the back for a few minutes, which gifted Perth their 3rd goal and ultimately cost us a point.  Can't say much more than that.

2. I don't see that goal as easy.  He positioned perfectly on the shoulder of the defender (try doing it, if you think its easy!), stayed on side (i know a bloke in Malta says that's impossible) and then took a sublime shot to beat Covic.  its worth remembering that even though we stank, Covic had still made 2 fantastic saves, 1 off Novillo and 1 off Tuna, but he couldn't stop "The Sheep".  

* though I did have a tantrum and change channels

• Like 1

Watched a replay of this game for a second time just to feel the pain again. The first half was tight and Glory shaded us in terms of chances and effort. Bruno played his usual combative self giving it all but had very little support from Harry who seemed not really in the game. We had very little support from the wings with Franjic just not imposing himself. In fact he turned the ball over at around the 30min mark in midfield where he was too slow to release the ball and got his pocket pinched. That summarised his effort. Zullo suffered an ankle injury half way through the first half and was replaced 10min or so later. The moment Gooch came on Castro was down his side and having fun. Glory had far more joy coming down our wings that we did against them – like Keogh running against Franjic. The Zullo injury was a turning point IMO. This half was tight and we were definitely still in it to get a result.

Glory continued with their edge over us in the second half. The first goal came about when Gooch was beaten by Castro who ghosted from the back post and won the physical battle and the ball spilled easily for Keogh to convert. From here on Glory became more dominant but we weren’t out of it and Harry came to life with a solid shot  that was palmed away by Covic on 64min. For Glory attacking our wings was very productive and Castro was becoming more influential. Glory’s second goal at 68min came about when our defence switched off with a quick chip from Keogh who was probably trying to find Castro but Sandor ran into the space to collect the ball with Malik et al flat footed. From that point Paddy was pushed forward as JvS got desperate to get something from the game. However it just left us more exposed at the back but it gave us more attacking intent. Glory’s 3rd goal on 71min was a beauty. We were stretched defending with three in the back and Keogh came down the right side and floated one across the box over Malik’s head and Castro did the rest. Great goal.

Bruno’s goal on 73min was absolute class. He beat Lowry, Risdon and Covic. Goals by Castro and Bruno were brilliant by any standard. We were more threatening from here on but the damage was already done. Marino on for Paddy in 77min and a smartly taken goal by the lad at the death.

Against a pretty strong Glory who were playing at home and desperate to make a statement coming into the finals, we found ourselves with a few guys who were getting beaten on the day. We got carved up with some poor defending for the first two goals. Our fullbacks Franjic/Gooch were being beaten and Bruno didn’t get enough support over the whole game by Harry or our midfield Mooy/Caceras. Retre wasn't influential but he wasn’t the only one. Overall we were half a step behind Glory and they made the most of it and we contributing to our own demise for the first two goals. Over the whole game, a flat footed performance with some easy turn overs when what we needed was for the whole squad to stand firm. I feel better now.

Edited by HEARTinator

• jw1739 locked this topic
  • jw1739 unlocked this topic