Melbourne Football

Sunday 7:00pm vs Perth Glory

kingofhearts

I feel very pessimistic about this match given our record against Perth and particularly in Perth. Would be massive to win so I hope I'm wrong but it will be tough. At least we've got a longer period between Mooy and Wilko coming back from the Socceroos so they can have some recovery time (assuming they don't get injured).

36 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I hope they travel a day earlier to get used to the conditions

Agree with this.

Its no coincidence that every time we play Perth away, the boys walk out onto the field still stretching their legs from the plane flight

14 minutes ago, JC22 said:

Really tough fixture at this point of the season.

I'd like to think we can win but a draw may be more likely. Which probably means we'll finish 2nd behind WSW if we beat Adelaide.

WSW play Mariners and Pheonix which hurts.

Nope. 4 points from our final two games means only Brisbane could finish above us. Unless WSW were to chase down our GD, which won't happen. 

17 minutes ago, JC22 said:

Really tough fixture at this point of the season.

I'd like to think we can win but a draw may be more likely. Which probably means we'll finish 2nd behind WSW if we beat Adelaide.

WSW play Mariners and Pheonix which hurts.

4 points would be enough to finish about Wanderers.

I would go with the same team so long as Malik is fit.

I know that may sound strange to some considering they are two of our most important players. However, all the travelling with the international team will take it out of them. I would be happy to play them off the bench in this one. For me the team looks confident enough to allow us not to rush them back.

Well that is great news, I had it wrong.

Huge chance we'll all be passionately cheering for Victory in the final round.

2 minutes ago, silva10 said:

I would go with the same team so long as Malik is fit.

I know that may sound strange to some considering they are two of our most important players. However, all the travelling with the international team will take it out of them. I would be happy to play them off the bench in this one. For me the team looks confident enough to allow us not to rush them back.

Not a chance we leave Mooy out heading to Perth.

Mooy & Wilko IN.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JC22 said:

Well that is great news, I had it wrong.

Huge chance we'll all be passionately cheering for Victory in the final round.

Not a chance we leave Mooy out heading to Perth.

Mooy & Wilko IN.

I don't think so either. However, I would be confident in doing so.

You can't underestimate how much travelling can take it out of your legs, even without playing.

I know we should be circumspect and that three points in Perth should never be taken for granted, let alone in the form they're in, but stuff it. Look at their team and look at ours. Just win it boys and then you can celebrate winning the league if you follow it up the next week against Adelaide, instead of waiting for other results.

Wilkinson and Mooy absolutely must come in. A very strong bench, considering Chapman and probably Caceres will be added to it (which means we'll have Bouzanis, Chapman, Caceres, Melling and probably one of Clisby or Retre   I still think LB is our one potential weakness.

26 minutes ago, silva10 said:

I don't think so either. However, I would be confident in doing so.

You can't underestimate how much travelling can take it out of your legs, even without playing.

Both international games have been played in Australia: in Adelaide against Tajidkistan, and Sydney against Jordan. Wilko did not play in Adelaide and may not play in Sydney (bench). Travel wise it would be no different than if City played AU followed by a game against Sydney. The only difference is that the game against Jordan is tonight Tuesday and against Perth is on Sunday so they would have about 5 days to recover as opposed to the rest of the team that would have 8 days.

• Like 2

Massive game this and tbh I don't like our chances. Last 2 big games away to Perth off the top of my head was our first final and the cup semi both pathetic insipid performances. We are a different team and it will be alot closer contest. 

In reality if we don't win it we don't deserve to be challenging for the plate. I think a draw will be enough and therefore we need to be super tight at the back. 

This may sound crazy but at lb Garuccio was poor and the Clisby change improved us defensively but I think Hughes or Chapman  into LB should be considered seriously. 

I'm quietly confident.
Fornaroli and Novillo flying high with confidence and they are confidence players especially Harry. Mooy will be fired up after not playing for City on the weekend keen to show what he can do.

Defensively I think Clisby should come in for Garuccio to strengthen the back-line.

Two teams in form and high in confidence. We have a very poor record at NIB (as do most other teams), even when Perth were shit they'd still beat us there. This game will be decided tactically before the game, will JVS let the team plait's natural game or sit back for a point? Will Malik be fit for the game and will his role be to nullify Castro or will we play our natural game? Its a hard game to predict and that in itself isn't something that we would have been able to say any other season. If we do win this game we will go into the finals showing that we can beat anyone and should be feared

1 minute ago, belaguttman said:

Two teams in form and high in confidence. We have a very poor record at NIB (as do most other teams), even when Perth were shit they'd still beat us there. This game will be decided tactically before the game, will JVS let the team plait's natural game or sit back for a point? Will Malik be fit for the game and will his role be to nullify Castro or will we play our natural game? Its a hard game to predict and that in itself isn't something that we would have been able to say any other season. If we do win this game we will go into the finals showing that we can beat anyone and should be feared

I reckon we will see an old JVS snatch and grab

Obviously I'd love a win, but it is Perth and it is at NIB Stadium so I'd be satisfied with a draw. A point in this game guarantees us a home final.

Also, a draw will keep us above WSW (even if they win this week) so then a win against Adelaide will guarantee us a top 2 finish.

If Brisbane gets a maximum of 4 points (which is plausible) from their last 2 games it guarantees us the Premiers Plate! :wub:

Ladder.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Red or Dead said:

Obviously I'd love a win, but it is Perth and it is at NIB Stadium so I'd be satisfied with a draw. A point in this game guarantees us a home final.

Also, a draw will keep us above WSW (even if they win this week) so then a win against Adelaide will guarantee us a top 2 finish.

If Brisbane gets a maximum of 4 points (which is plausible) from their last 2 games it guarantees us the Premiers Plate! :wub:

Ladder.png

Haha. Seeing that table is so weird. I looked at 3rd and kept scanning downwards to find us. Took me a second to realize we are top. Old habits die hard 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Red or Dead said:

Ladder.png

Good points, but it must be remembered that if we don't get maximum points or if Brisbane wins at home against Newcastle, we will officially/unashamedly be forced to barrack for Victory in the final round. Presumably, most of us would like to avoid that scenario at all costs. 

Edited by SF33

I'm quietly confident for this game.

This season, City have tended to struggle in games where not much is on the line and we're away to weaker teams (e.g. Defeats in Newcastle and Wellington). I know our squad should see those games as important, but the performance in Newcastle in particular was disgusting. In my opinion, a lack of motivation and effort was shown, and these factors should be a given for any professional club, regardless of the final result!

But we've performed well in nearly all of the big games this season. The 4-3 defeat in Western Sydney is an exception but, to be honest, we were a total shambles defensively back then and the problem seems to have been addressed. We also had a very poor second half in the Christmas derby, but again that was largely to do with our previously dreadful defending as a team. Since addressing the issue we've still managed to score plenty of goals (10 in the last 4) and put together four straight wins, which is very pleasing.

Perth were very unimpressive in Newcastle last weekend and were fortunate to escape with a win. While this will no doubt be a tough game, the lads are playing with enormous confidence and without fear at the moment. Nearly every player looks comfortable in possession and little has been said about the form of Fitzgerald and Zullo (both are riding a wave of confidence in my opinion). Statistically, it is very likely that we'll score at least a goal (we've only failed to once out of the 25 games I think?) so much rests on how well we can marshall Castro and Keogh. I believe it's equally likely statistically that we'll concede (being in Perth and with these two on fire!) so our best shot is probably a score draw or a 2-1 win.

I believe a draw would be an excellent result. It would keep us above WSW, and mean that a home win against Adelaide would guarantee top two. The only team to worry about then would be Brisbane, who would need to take the full 6 points against Newcastle (H) and Victory (A) to finish above us. I can see Brisbane dropping points in at least one of these games (Newcastle always give them a headache at Suncorp while Brisbane have travelled poorly against top 6 teams nearly all season).

The lads should be extremely fired up about this game and will give everything for the cause, with so much to play for. This is the least we can ask for and I know we have it in us to take something away from the game. Yes, Perth have been on an incredible run, but so had Adelaide when we showed up a few weeks back...

• Like 6

This was our lineup for the last match in Perth. 2-2 draw, with Glory down to 10 men for 30 mins.              

SORENSEN

HUGHES, KISNORBO, CLISBY 

RETRE (WILLIAMS 74’)                                         ZULLO (GARUCCIO 68’)                                 

MELLING (TRIFIRO 77’) PAARTALU

MOOY,

FORNAROLI NOVILLO

Can our improved squad and formation that actually works get us a result? We haven't won at NIB since December 17th 2011.

13 minutes ago, bellydrum said:

This was our lineup for the last match in Perth. 2-2 draw, with Glory down to 10 men for 30 mins.              

SORENSEN

HUGHES, KISNORBO, CLISBY 

RETRE (WILLIAMS 74’)                                         ZULLO (GARUCCIO 68’)                                 

MELLING (TRIFIRO 77’) PAARTALU

MOOY,

FORNAROLI NOVILLO

Can our improved squad and formation that actually works get us a result? We haven't won at NIB since December 17th 2011.

Their team is also much improved since then.

Sunday, 3 April 2016

Perth Glory v Melbourne City FC

nib Stadium, Perth

Kick-Off: 5:00 PM (Local) (7:00 PM AEST)

Referee: Shaun Evans

Assistant Referee 1: Josh Mannella

Assistant Referee 2: Wilson Brown

Fourth Official: Adam Fielding

Perth Glory squad: 1.Ante COVIC (gk), 2.Alex GRANT, 3.Marc WARREN, 4.Shane LOWRY, 7.Gyorgy SANDOR, 9.Andy KEOGH, 10.Nebojsa MARINKOVIC, 11.Richard GARCIA, 12.Jerrad TYSON (gk), 13.Diogo FERREIRA, 14.Chris HAROLD, 17.Diego CASTRO, 18.Mitch OXBORROW, 19.Josh RISDON, 21.Kosta PETRATOS, 23.Krisztian VADOCZ, 24.Jamal REINERS, 29.Aryn WILLIAMS

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 13.Diogo FERREIRA (promoted), 19.Josh RISDON (returns from international duty), 21.Kosta PETRATOS (promoted)

Outs: 6.Dino DJULBIC (suspended – one match)

Unavailable: 8.Ruben ZADKOVICH (knee – indefinite)

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Thomas SORENSEN (gk), 2.Alex WILKINSON, 4.Connor CHAPMAN, 5.Ivan FRANJIC, 8.Aaron MOOY, 9.Harry NOVILLO, 11.Michael ZULLO, 18.Paulo RETRE, 19.Ben GARUCCIO, 20.Dean BOUZANIS (gk), 22.Jack CLISBY, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 24.Patrick KISNORBO, 25.Jacob MELLING, 26.Marc MARINO, 27.Nick FITZGERALD, 29.Anthony CACERES, 33.Osama MALIK

**two players to be omitted**

Ins: 2.Alex WILKINSON (return from international duty), 8.Aaron MOOY (return from international duty)

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: 7.Corey GAMEIRO (knee – season), 17.Wade DEKKER (ankle – season)

• jw1739 locked this topic
  • jw1739 unlocked this topic