Melbourne Football

Memberships/Season Tickets

jw1739

It seems a good initiative for those who carry their phones with them everywhere, but not so good for an oldie like me who has to put his reading glasses on every time he wants to use the thing. Personally I'd rather go back to the lanyard and card, but that's old-fashioned I guess! But as long as there's alternatives to suit people then it sounds OK.

But sounds as though it hasn't been road-tested...?

6 minutes ago, malloy said:

I find the digital tickets are good for sharing memberships around to invite others when members of our group can't make it.

I can't see why we can't nominate which we prefer. I'd happily pay extra on my membership for a card option because it's far more convenient for me.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, malloy said:

I see no reason why everyone can't be issued with both a membership card and an e-membership.

I thought of that too, but I suppose that if you lost your phone or your card you might have two people trying to enter the ground on the same membership? But, yes, it's 2022 and there ought to be a simple work around.

I'm of the mindset where I ask the question, do we need to go digital with every single damn thing? Cant pay cash at the grounds anymore, cant scan in with a membership card anymore. I know the whole world is going more and more digital but ffs can we at least put the handbrake on a little bit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

I'm of the mindset where I ask the question, do we need to go digital with every single damn thing? Cant pay cash at the grounds anymore, cant scan in with a membership card anymore. I know the whole world is going more and more digital but ffs can we at least put the handbrake on a little bit. 

I agree - and IIRC I think we're in completely different demographics so it's not just an age thing. My concern is that we're becoming overly-dependent on technology and putting all our eggs into one basket. "The system" goes down and no-one can do anything. Look how dependent we now are on smartphones and the internet - you have an extended internet outage (as my provider did starting around 12.00 on Christmas Day) and you can't contact anyone using VOIP, pay a bill, can't even find the phone number to ring if your smartphone still works.

I recall being in Los Angeles transiting to the East Coast with United Airlines when their computer system collapsed. They could no longer board passengers with any manual system for any flight with the consequence that thousands of passengers had to be found overnight accommodation. Total chaos. Cost - horrendous. 

Technology opens many wonderful doors, but IMO it must not close the alternatives.

• Like 1

I'm with @n i k o on this - I just wish that the club would consult members (or perhaps they do?) before they launch into "innovations" like this. Many people, and probably most, like to carry their smartphone everywhere night and day, but some don't like to where they don't see it as necessary. In fact, for some it can be bloody inconvenient. I no longer need spectacles for driving and distance vision, but I do for reading, so I have to carry my reading spectacles if I also need to carry my phone. A membership card on a lanyard round my neck is perfect for me.

I can see no valid reason why the club can't offer options to operate the "turnstiles." It offers flexible memberships all the bloody time so why not a bit of flexibility here as well?

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm with @n i k o on this - I just wish that the club would consult members (or perhaps they do?) before they launch into "innovations" like this. Many people, and probably most, like to carry their smartphone everywhere night and day, but some don't like to where they don't see it as necessary. In fact, for some it can be bloody inconvenient. I no longer need spectacles for driving and distance vision, but I do for reading, so I have to carry my reading spectacles if I also need to carry my phone. A membership card on a lanyard round my neck is perfect for me.

I can see no valid reason why the club can't offer options to operate the "turnstiles." It offers flexible memberships all the bloody time so why not a bit of flexibility here as well?

100%. This is the problem. It's a complete reliance to have a mobile phone to get into games. And everyone needs to have one. And ensure it's charged enough before the game. And pray there's no connection issue. Heaven forbid if I simply want a break from my phone for a couple hours and leave it at home (fwiw I'm on my phone all day for work). 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, n i k o said:

100%. This is the problem. It's a complete reliance to have a mobile phone to get into games. And everyone needs to have one. And ensure it's charged enough before the game. And pray there's no connection issue. Heaven forbid if I simply want a break from my phone for a couple hours and leave it at home (fwiw I'm on my phone all day for work). 

Absolutely. It relies on two systems working - in fact more than that because there are a number of different phone providers - the phone and the turnstiles.

With the card however, the exit door(s) could be opened and we could prove our membership status visually to an attendant stationed there.  It's the KISS Principle at work.

Sigh!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Absolutely. It relies on two systems working - in fact more than that because there are a number of different phone providers - the phone and the turnstiles.

With the card however, the exit door(s) could be opened and we could prove our membership status visually to an attendant stationed there.  It's the KISS Principle at work.

Sigh!

I agree 👍 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Very happy to learn today that physical membership cards return for next season. Can't wait to feel that lanyard around my neck once more.!

Good, every time I went to the game I would have a problem with the digital thing. Even at the GF I was standing around trying to get through the turnstiles, till my son pointed out that I was using the ticket to a game against Wellington. Such a doofus.

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Very happy to learn today that physical membership cards return for next season. Can't wait to feel that lanyard around my neck once more.!

It's not entirely logical, but emotionally it's the right thing to do. It's that lanyard that says "I am a member".

1 hour ago, haz said:

What's the % increase? 

image.png.7c80bbe737f874107ee97b6b0e0129c3.png

Just over about 11% increase.

Ironically, the $28 increase ends up being exactly 12.5k members paying for a designated player wage of $350k per season. In comparison our overlords are paying Kevin de Bruyne an astonishing $690k per Week.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Just over about 11% increase.

Ironically, the $28 increase ends up being exactly 12.5k members paying for a designated player wage of $350k per season. In comparison our overlords are paying Kevin de Bruyne an astonishing $690k per Week.

But we can't afford a GK coach...

2 hours ago, haz said:

Does "Fully transferable membership" mean that if I can't make it to a game, then I can let someone else use my membership to attend? 

This is really good initiative of course. I wonder if it could be useful if these unused game tickets end up on central Facebook group or website for people to pick them up.

12 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

This is really good initiative of course. I wonder if it could be useful if these unused game tickets end up on central Facebook group or website for people to pick them up.

The risk there is that there won't be any walk-ups - they'll try and get a free ticket but won't bother to go if they can't.

I'd say that the club is taking the middle road here - as it is it will be someone you know who will use the membership if you can't. There's chance that they will grow the membership base that way.

53 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The risk there is that there won't be any walk-ups - they'll try and get a free ticket but won't bother to go if they can't.

I'd say that the club is taking the middle road here - as it is it will be someone you know who will use the membership if you can't. There's chance that they will grow the membership base that way.

There are several clubs in Europe I believe who has such pass on programs in place. 

There is nothing wrong with giving your ticket to somebody you know but what if you can’t find anybody? Wouldn’t club the rather have that seat filled with the possibility of spending inside the ground?

1 minute ago, fensaddler said:

I thought our memberships had been fully transferable for years?

They have.

18 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

There are several clubs in Europe I believe who has such pass on programs in place. 

There is nothing wrong with giving your ticket to somebody you know but what if you can’t find anybody? Wouldn’t club the rather have that seat filled with the possibility of spending inside the ground?

I think several of the "big" clubs, who basically play to an all-season-ticket crowd every home match, do indeed have programs where if you notify the club that you will not attend a match then your seat will be resold for that match. IIRC it happens at Arsenal and possibly Chelsea.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...