Melbourne Football

Memberships/Season Tickets

jw1739

Hey guys, I haven't renewed my membership and am looking to do it Wednesday. I received an email some months ago tell me that the prices have been reduced due to the season being cut short. Is there an expiry on this to get that renewal discount? Do I call the membership line and they will apply that discount?

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Jovan,

You spoke and we listened.

We got this one wrong and we’re holding our hands up and saying sorry. We are reversing the decision to turn the southern terrace into GA seating and it will be returned to a City Blue Reserved seating area.

We need and value your support, especially in 2020. We all know it’s been a tough year and we want to make sure we stick together as one City family.

Over the last six month’s we’ve been working hard to refine our membership packages and provide even more value to our members. We’ve reduced our prices, added additional benefits and offered all our members an extra sign on bonus when renewing via the City Together program – all initiatives that we’re very proud of.

This decision was intended to provide greater access and flexibility into the southern terrace and promote a greater matchday atmosphere by increasing the energy in and around our Active supporter bay.

Our intention was to make the matchday experience better for our members’ and it’s clear that we missed the mark.

We have detailed what happens next in the email below and if you have any questions at all, please call our Membership team on 1300 255 432 or via email at membership@melbournecityfc.com.au.

Let’s look forward to a great season ahead with Patrick in charge and we can’t wait to see you back at AAMI Park.

Melbourne City F.C

THE SOUTHERN TERRACE WILL REMAIN CITY BLUE:
We’ve heard you loud and clear. The Southern Terrace (bays 12 -21) will remain as City Blue reserved seating in season 2020/21.

RESERVED SEAT FOR THE PRICE OF GA:
Membership should be easy, so to make up for the disruption we’ve caused, we’re extending an extra special offer to any member who wishes to remain in their City Blue reserved seat in the southern terrace.

If you renewed your membership via the City Together program but would prefer to remain in your current City Blue seat for season 2020/21, you will only pay the price of a General Admission membership.

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT:
I want to stay in the southern terrace:
If you would like to take up this offer and wish to retain your City Blue seat from season 2019/20, please contact us before 5pm Friday 4 December to discuss your options with one of our team.

P: 1300 255 432
E: membership@melbournecityfc.com.au

I’m happy with the changes and no longer wish to sit in the southern terrace:
If you elected to change or upgrade your seat via the City Together program, you don’t need to do anything.  Your selections have been recorded and you will be able to enjoy your new seat in season 2020/21.

COVID-19 IMPACT ON MATCH DAY SEATING:
As stadium restrictions are yet to be announced, reserved seats cannot be guaranteed at this point in time.  We ask for your understanding as we work with all relevant authorities to make our return to AAMI Park as safe and enjoyable as we can.

Members will always be the first in the queue to access the match, so if you want to support your City at AAMI Park this season, being a City member is the best way.

We hope you’re happy with the changes we’re making – or not making in this case – and can’t wait to see you all back at AAMI Park again soon.

C’mon City!
#CityTogether

Edited by Jovan

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

Dear Jovan,

You spoke and we listened.

We got this one wrong and we’re holding our hands up and saying sorry. We are reversing the decision to turn the southern terrace into GA seating and it will be returned to a City Blue Reserved seating area.

We need and value your support, especially in 2020. We all know it’s been a tough year and we want to make sure we stick together as one City family.

Over the last six month’s we’ve been working hard to refine our membership packages and provide even more value to our members. We’ve reduced our prices, added additional benefits and offered all our members an extra sign on bonus when renewing via the City Together program – all initiatives that we’re very proud of.

This decision was intended to provide greater access and flexibility into the southern terrace and promote a greater matchday atmosphere by increasing the energy in and around our Active supporter bay.

Our intention was to make the matchday experience better for our members’ and it’s clear that we missed the mark.

We have detailed what happens next in the email below and if you have any questions at all, please call our Membership team on 1300 255 432 or via email at membership@melbournecityfc.com.au.

Let’s look forward to a great season ahead with Patrick in charge and we can’t wait to see you back at AAMI Park.

Melbourne City F.C

THE SOUTHERN TERRACE WILL REMAIN CITY BLUE:
We’ve heard you loud and clear. The Southern Terrace (bays 12 -21) will remain as City Blue reserved seating in season 2020/21.

RESERVED SEAT FOR THE PRICE OF GA:
Membership should be easy, so to make up for the disruption we’ve caused, we’re extending an extra special offer to any member who wishes to remain in their City Blue reserved seat in the southern terrace.

If you renewed your membership via the City Together program but would prefer to remain in your current City Blue seat for season 2020/21, you will only pay the price of a General Admission membership.

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT:
I want to stay in the southern terrace:
If you would like to take up this offer and wish to retain your City Blue seat from season 2019/20, please contact us before 5pm Friday 4 December to discuss your options with one of our team.

P: 1300 255 432
E: membership@melbournecityfc.com.au

I’m happy with the changes and no longer wish to sit in the southern terrace:
If you elected to change or upgrade your seat via the City Together program, you don’t need to do anything.  Your selections have been recorded and you will be able to enjoy your new seat in season 2020/21.

COVID-19 IMPACT ON MATCH DAY SEATING:
As stadium restrictions are yet to be announced, reserved seats cannot be guaranteed at this point in time.  We ask for your understanding as we work with all relevant authorities to make our return to AAMI Park as safe and enjoyable as we can.

Members will always be the first in the queue to access the match, so if you want to support your City at AAMI Park this season, being a City member is the best way.

We hope you’re happy with the changes we’re making – or not making in this case – and can’t wait to see you all back at AAMI Park again soon.

C’mon City!
#CityTogether

Perhaps this is very short sighted and the decision is reversed under pressure of a small group of fans who didn’t like losing their seats. Good alternative seating was offered on the sidelines I believe.

The haydays of a rowdy and active home end was when it was open to walk ins as general admission, the club is desperate to bring this back. Now you will have the active bay and a half filled home end with random reserved seating.

People seem to have forgotten that the home end thrived when it was GA.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 4

They should have just rode out the wave of negativity cause their decision was the best for the long term of the club. Victory have GA in their north end. Just whinging people who can’t deal with a bit of change not like they couldn’t sit their still. Yarra end is already sparse and not many city blue turn up anyway so need to make the Yarra end more intimidating. Players last season rated our atmosphere second worse 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Pandering to the idiots, alas im not sure the club actually had much choice in the end.

That's a bit harsh. I accepted the change and thought it a good idea, but I will reclaim our reserved seats now that I have the opportunity.

Because I like watching the game from where they are, high up and well under cover in all weathers, and with the "gang" that I've got to know as friends. The latter is as important to me as the match itself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Pandering to the idiots, alas im not sure the club actually had much choice in the end.

Customer and members are king I guess but reading the letter I can completely understand why the club made the move in the first place - an attempt to bring the atmosphere back.

What I don’t understand, why it’s all or nothing, why not have both a GA section above active and keep the rest as reserved seating?

43 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Customer and members are king I guess but reading the letter I can completely understand why the club made the move in the first place - an attempt to bring the atmosphere back.

What I don’t understand, why it’s all or nothing, why not have both a GA section above active and keep the rest as reserved seating?

I guess it had to be all or nothing. Otherwise those with reserved seats above active would have had to move, but others would not have had to.

Quite frankly I'm not convinced that having GA or Reserved seats next to Active is a factor at all. IMO there are far bigger reasons why the atmosphere is as tepid as it is. First, the club itself with the change in colours, and second the FFA, which (probably because of certain WSW and Victory "fans") tried to kill off "active fans" at all A-League matches. City has hardly brought in any exciting players in recent seasons either, and under Joyce went out of its way to get rid of the one that we loved more than any other.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I guess it had to be all or nothing. Otherwise those with reserved seats above active would have had to move, but others would not have had to.

Quite frankly I'm not convinced that having GA or Reserved seats next to Active is a factor at all. IMO there are far bigger reasons why the atmosphere is as tepid as it is. First, the club itself with the change in colours, and second the FFA, which (probably because of certain WSW and Victory "fans") tried to kill off "active fans" at all A-League matches. City has hardly brought in any exciting players in recent seasons either, and under Joyce went out of its way to get rid of the one that we loved more than any other.

But the reserved seating above active would only move 20m to the left or right, surely that is not an issue? You could also see over the last seasons that the Olympic Blv end was outnumbering the Yarra end (not counting the McDonalds freebees) this tells us that we have a significant amount of casual GA fans. 

I can only speak from personal experience, I used to bring casual people along as GA to the home end and they loved that.

When did we change to reserved seating at the home end, 2 or 3 seasons ago?

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

But the reserved seating above active would only move 20m to the left or right, surely that is not an issue? You could also see over the last seasons that the Olympic Blv end was outnumbering the Yarra end (not counting the McDonalds freebees) this tells us that we have a significant amount of casual GA fans. 

I can only speak from personal experience, I used to bring casual people along as GA to the home end and they loved that.

When did we change to reserved seating at the home end, 2 or 3 seasons ago?

I have no idea. IIRC I moved from the Western Wing 3 seasons ago. And I can't add to your other comments either. All I know is that the slow but steady growth in attendances had just about all been lost by two seasons of Joyceball (I have a spreadsheet), that I don't believe the attendance figures for recent seasons anyway because the videos from the old Heart days seem to tell me that attendances were much higher then, that we used to get 25,000+ for home derbies and in 2019/20 just got to 17,000, and that it is my opinion that CFG has done plenty to kill off interest in the club and FFA plenty to kill off interest in the league as a whole.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I have no idea. IIRC I moved from the Western Wing 3 seasons ago. And I can't add to your other comments either. All I know is that the slow but steady growth in attendances had just about all been lost by two seasons of Joyceball (I have a spreadsheet), that I don't believe the attendance figures for recent seasons anyway because the videos from the old Heart days seem to tell me that attendances were much higher then, that we used to get 25,000+ for home derbies and in 2019/20 just got to 17,000, and that it is my opinion that CFG has done plenty to kill off interest in the club and FFA plenty to kill off interest in the league as a whole.

Yes the overal attendances have dropped over the years due to many internal and external factors. What I'm trying say is that, with proof from the past as the Yarra end used to be GA - a better atmosphere can perhaps be created, with the aim and hope for better interest for the game and club. I think this is what the club was attempting before reverting the decision. The shifting of the member section was part of a longer term plan, what if in 2 seasons time the active support grows and we need to expand - are the City Blue fans than also refusing to move? 

Especially on the Friday night games, there seems to be many people who like having a beer after work, pick up an GA ticket and then mix in with the active end. Having the rusted supporters in a home end which is only for 60% sold, who also remain slilent and mostly on their seat doesn't help. Hence I mentioned the middle ground perhaps can be to have some GA and some Member sections at the home end. 

Edited by Mr MO

51 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Yes the overal attendances have dropped over the years due to many internal and external factors. What I'm trying say is that, with proof from the past as the Yarra end used to be GA - a better atmosphere can perhaps be created, with the aim and hope for better interest for the game and club. I think this is what the club was attempting before reverting the decision. The shifting of the member section was part of a longer term plan, what if in 2 seasons time the active support grows and we need to expand - are the City Blue fans than also refusing to move? 

Especially on the Friday night games, there seems to be many people who like having a beer after work, pick up an GA ticket and then mix in with the active end. Having the rusted supporters in a home end which is only for 60% sold, who also remain slilent and mostly on their seat doesn't help. Hence I mentioned the middle ground perhaps can be to have some GA and some Member sections at the home end. 

I'm not supporting the club's position on this, but I suspect that the change to reserved seats at the Southern End was made at the end of Season 2016/17 - perhaps someone else can either confirm or contradict that? That would have been at the end of a season in which our home attendances averaged 9,417 and our single home derby pulled in 24,706. So it would have been a reasonable decision by the club I would say, to offer cheap reserved seats behind one goal.

We all know what happened - attendances fell away. At the moment I agree with you. I can see no reason why the seats properly under cover at the Southern End could not be reserved, and the GA be the front seats that are exposed to the weather. That's the most logical arrangement to my mind.

• Like 1

BTW, I'd like to make it clear that none of our "gang" in Bay 19 objected to losing our reserved seats. We thought that it was a reasonable and understandable decision in the circumstances, given the acres of open space there at most matches, and thought that we could always go to the same seats, or close to them, even as GA members. I'm happy to reclaim them of course - why not? I too would like to know the real reason(s) behind the sudden reversal of the decision to change to GA. Lurching from one decision to the reverse isn't a good look.

My personal opinion is actually that reserved seats are really only necessary when attendances get up to around 12,000 and above. At all other matches they could all be GA as far as I am concerned. If I really want the same seat at every match then perhaps I'd better get there a bit earlier instead of strolling in just before KO...

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

BTW, I'd like to make it clear that none of our "gang" in Bay 19 objected to losing our reserved seats. We thought that it was a reasonable and understandable decision in the circumstances, given the acres of open space there at most matches, and thought that we could always go to the same seats, or close to them, even as GA members. I'm happy to reclaim them of course - why not? I too would like to know the real reason(s) behind the sudden reversal of the decision to change to GA. Lurching from one decision to the reverse isn't a good look.

My personal opinion is actually that reserved seats are really only necessary when attendances get up to around 12,000 and above. At all other matches they could all be GA as far as I am concerned. If I really want the same seat at every match then perhaps I'd better get there a bit earlier instead of strolling in just before KO...

I don't know JW, it seems to be handful of fans who made a big fuss about it for what it seems at first impression for personal reasons, with loosely mentioned elders and disabled fans being affected by it. As the home end is only city blue for 2 or 3 years, you can't say that people have held onto the same seats that long either. I'm interested to know more like yourself, there's not much discussion on here anyway!

Everybody I've spoken to is like you and they see the greater concept of it and support the club in order to make changes towards a better match day experience, besides they were happy with the alternative seating offered for City Blue with even better access for the elderly and people with dissabilities or were happy to take on a GA membership.

Perhaps anybody on this forum could elaborate a bit more? I've seen @bt50 saying that the club was left with no choice to revert.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

I think that I'm still left with my problem, I don't expect the franchise to make special arrangements for me, but as a rural supporter I can probably make 5 games a year but want to sit at the Yarra end. The Swan street end is totally lifeless and detracts from the game day experience, especially as often, all I can hear is the away supporters

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

I think that I'm still left with my problem, I don't expect the franchise to make special arrangements for me, but as a rural supporter I can probably make 5 games a year but want to sit at the Yarra end. The Swan street end is totally lifeless and detracts from the game day experience, especially as often, all I can hear is the away supporters

The issues you validly raise are not confined to rural/country fans, but to quite a lot of metro fans of the game as well. Why don't you talk personally to Ryan in the Membership Department and ask the club to consider two things:

1. As @Mr MO and I have already suggested, a mix of City Blue and GA at the Southern End;

2. A choice of GA packages of (suggest) 5, 7 and 9 matches?

As long as you're not  getting a cheaper price per match than those who buy a full GA season ticket I can't see a problem.

Mixing City Blue and GA is not rocket science, and neither is flexibility in the packages.

• Like 1

On 20/11/2020 at 4:42 PM, jw1739 said:

That's a bit harsh. I accepted the change and thought it a good idea, but I will reclaim our reserved seats now that I have the opportunity.

Because I like watching the game from where they are, high up and well under cover in all weathers, and with the "gang" that I've got to know as friends. The latter is as important to me as the match itself.

Perhaps a little harsh, but ultimately the point stands ; the City Blue members got theoretical upgrades and their old seats were turned into GA. The fact is that those GA areas are still open to anyone that has a reserved seat to sit in so if they'd wanted to take advantage of the upgrade and still be pretty much able to sit in or around their old seats should they choose in any given week they'd be able to subject to capacity, which lets be honest, if you cant find a group of 2-10 seats in that Southern end to sit in then the club has more than doubled the atmosphere and end result they were hoping for.
I technically have a reserved seat in active; fucked if i know what seat it actually is, and more to the point here i suppose, is that i'd only stand/sit in active half the time anyway.

I don't think the mixed idea would be too bad, but you'd probably still have the same problems ie if you made straight behind active City Blue and the rest GA, all those in the other old Blue bays probably complain theyre getting moved anyway.

That end going reserved definitely only happened a few seasons ago, perhaps in sync with the Joyce era (definitely wasn't the case when our little group ran the Melburnians), and whilst its not the sole cause, or maybe even the primary cause, its definitely had an impact on atmosphere as its now infinitely harder for Joe off the street to sample active or enjoy the atmosphere without fully committing to a membership.

EDIT : i think the point im trying to make here is that by and large, the people that are complaining haven't really thought the new scenario through, they're just taking the move on face value and sooking about it without considering whats its being replaced with. 

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's also the case that if you want to go up that end as a casual visitor, just buy a theoretical seat and sit where you like. The fail last season was giving tickets up that end to thousands of random from Shepperton who were never going to attend, thus locking out the seats from any walk ups wanting to sit there. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

membership site...

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 7.17.54 am.png

Absolutely lazy.

My last conversation with membership was that if they couldn't be bothered keeping their website updated I couldn't be bothered renewing.

(Basically I'm waiting on the fixture)

But Seriously little things are the big things.

22 hours ago, Dylan said:

This probably has already been mentioned or I’m about to get egg on my face lol

noticed that there is a members player of the year now and each member gets one vote

@Dylan I think that you're the first to notice this in the extras attached to all memberships this season. I hope the club keeps it going. We've been held at arms' length for a long time and IMO it's a good step in the right direction to get members to feel that they do "belong" to something.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Shahanga said:

Normally it arrives about 1 day before the first home game, regardless of season start.

haha true

24 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

has anyone actually received their membership yet?

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I have not.

disappointing that we have around two weeks until the start of the season (17 days until our first home game) and nada on what's happening on the membership front

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I can imagine the late shuffle in the membership model doesn’t help either.

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

True.

they actually have an excuse this year.

some say it doesn’t matter, but I actually think it’s pretty poor, for one it robs one aspect of building excitement for the season.

IIRC last season they sent out a digital copy of people's membership just in case the package didn't arrive in time. Don't see why that could not happen this time 

Note: Due to the impact of COVID, we’re changing our Member pack policy for the 2020/21 season. All members will now be invited to collect their complimentary Membership Gift in person on matchday and no member packs or membership card will be posted to homes.
Instructions on how to redeem your complimentary Membership Gift will be sent to all members prior to our first home match.

Thank you for your understanding and we can’t wait to see you back at AAMI Park”

43 minutes ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

Note: Due to the impact of COVID, we’re changing our Member pack policy for the 2020/21 season. All members will now be invited to collect their complimentary Membership Gift in person on matchday and no member packs or membership card will be posted to homes.
Instructions on how to redeem your complimentary Membership Gift will be sent to all members prior to our first home match.

Thank you for your understanding and we can’t wait to see you back at AAMI Park”

And where are those little "bon mots?" Or are you having us all on?

9 minutes ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

They are listed as “additional benefits for 2020/21” in each membership type on the citymembership.com.au site

Wow, that's well hidden. Hardly a "benefit." And if we don't go to the first, or first few matches for whatever reason...?

30 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Wow, that's well hidden. Hardly a "benefit." And if we don't go to the first, or first few matches for whatever reason...?

Yeah I dunno. My guess is membership cards will be digital and the pack is your lanyard, stickers and whatever but supplies are constrained so they hope to not have to supply them all

2 hours ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

And where are those little "bon mots?" Or are you having us all on?

1 hour ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

They are listed as “additional benefits for 2020/21” in each membership type on the citymembership.com.au site

47 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

12 minutes ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

Yeah I dunno. My guess is membership cards will be digital and the pack is your lanyard, stickers and whatever but supplies are constrained so they hope to not have to supply them all

thanks for all those "nuggets" of gold 😁

in all seriousness though, thanks for the follow up. 

i have seen buggar all from the club regarding this (and as a member since way back too) - the bs marketing emails from club included.  WTF is this shit? i asked earlier thinking that maybe it related to Australia Post (being Christmas and how shit they have been anyway this year).  I feel disappointed with the lack of transparency (or for me, care) this season.

Edited by mattyh001

• jw1739 pinned this topic