Melbourne Football

Memberships/Season Tickets

jw1739

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

No, the goal was 14,000 members. And IIRC that was 2 seasons ago.

Correct

In July 2015, on the same day that Scott Munn reminded us of the team’s improvement on the pitch, he said the following.

“Our metrics on social media are incredible. We grew 150 to 160 per cent  last year. Twitter, Facebook and Instagram are really growing exponentially. Season tickets were up over 11,000 – we grew 70 per cent.

“The goal for us is 14,000. We are very bullish we will get there.

32 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Correct

In July 2015, on the same day that Scott Munn reminded us of the team’s improvement on the pitch, he said the following.

“Our metrics on social media are incredible. We grew 150 to 160 per cent  last year. Twitter, Facebook and Instagram are really growing exponentially. Season tickets were up over 11,000 – we grew 70 per cent.

“The goal for us is 14,000. We are very bullish we will get there.

"Bullish" is almost an anagram for "bullshit."

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

"Bullish" is almost an anagram for "bullshit."

I dont think it was unrealistic at the time had we had a season of success. Alas, we couldnt find success at a kids school sports event; we're allergic to it.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AntiScum said:

It's called buying likes through PR firms 😲

I don't think this is too far from the truth tbh and PR bullshit has gained momentum ever since.

I think this season has been the line in the sand for a majority of supporters and members and couldn't have come any sooner.

Some big decisions need to be made at HQ central right now because even with the Pierce manipulation of the FFA rules to favour CFG, it may be a 'flogging a dead horse' scenario for our team in the future regardless of results.

2 hours ago, citypool said:

I wonder if In the future melb city and west United are still failures then promotion and relegation comes in and another Melbourne team in the second division is more supported 

Who? South? Knights? Preston? These guys were getting probably what are getting now when they were peaking.

12 hours ago, playmaker said:

I don't think this is too far from the truth tbh and PR bullshit has gained momentum ever since.

I think this season has been the line in the sand for a majority of supporters and members and couldn't have come any sooner.

Some big decisions need to be made at HQ central right now because even with the Pierce manipulation of the FFA rules to favour CFG, it may be a 'flogging a dead horse' scenario for our team in the future regardless of results.

Anyone can buy insta/Facebook followers and people wouldn't be none the wiser. It's helps attract sponsors with the hey look at us we have X amount of followers up by 160% you can have our database to run your advertising through. Most companies aren't smart enough to say bullshit how many of those are bought. 

I would be VERY interested to know how many currently active paid up members we have. 

The cumulative ''13,000'' ''16,000'' or whatever figure which keeps adding the new members but does NOT discard the numbers who have lapsed/walked away cuts no ice. 

When the likes of me cannot be arsed to drive 80km to a home game on Sunday, for the first time in 7 years, then I think  I am standing on the sand, and I can indeed see that line.

And I'm now of the opinion that I too want Joyce out. 

This feels like the Heart days , except even more of a disappointment owing to the investment made and expectations raised.

I'm not even betting $5 we will make the finals. 

Edited by CityWildcat

19 minutes ago, CityWildcat said:

I would be VERY interested to know how many currently active paid up members we have. 

The cumulative ''13,000'' ''16,000'' or whatever figure which keeps adding the new members but does NOT discard the numbers who have lapsed/walked away cuts no ice. 

When the likes of me cannot be arsed to drive 80km to a home game on Sunday, for the first time in 7 years, then I think  I am standing on the sand, and I can indeed see that line.

And I'm now of the opinion that I too want Joyce out. 

This feels like the Heart days , except even more of a disappointment owing to the investment made and expectations raised.

I'm not even betting $5 we will make the finals. 

The big difference to the heart days.( And in that referring to the Aloisi period were after a dozen games it was clear he had to go ), the difference being, I felt an obligation to the club in general to remain loyal and still rock up, now sadly I don't feel the same. Now this is just my own personal feeling and it's probably based on knowing the club won't suffer if I attend or not.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, CityWildcat said:

In fact the club is being consistent. It counts 3- and 5-match memberships in the total, and therefore it's fair to also count full-season members who've attended some matches but then decided to cancel. Whether it should  count 3- and 5-match memberships as having the same value as a full season ticket is another matter; I think not, but AFAIK all the clubs do the same thing.

IMO the real figure that counts is the number of people who have committed to a full season before the first of the special offers. This season that was 8,010 compared with 10,273 last season.

Does it really matter? "Memberships" are really just a bit of a pissing contest between the clubs. What counts is attendances, and for non-Derby matches we're down about 900 on average. But even attendances are manipulated by free tickets and so on.

What we do know is that interest in the club is going down, and IMO we all know the reasons for that decline.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, citypool said:

I don’t want to upset anyone by mentioning this but Carlton the afl team had a shocking past few seasons but they have broken their record with 56k members. Is there any notes we can take from them?

Have 100 years of history with more funding in the league

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, citypool said:

I don’t want to upset anyone by mentioning this but Carlton the afl team had a shocking past few seasons but they have broken their record with 56k members. Is there any notes we can take from them?

This is because they have a relationship with their supporters. The opposite is true with CFG.

Simple.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, citypool said:

Carlton Football Club is actually a real club with a Constitution etc. https://www.carltonfc.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/Carlton/Documents/Constitution.pdf. We are not a club in the same way, just a privately-owned organization.

Carlton members (most of them) have voting rights at club meetings - I'm not an AFL person but I suspect that the same is true for all AFL clubs.

We have no voting rights at all, and we are not really members of anything. Rather, we are season-ticket holders, that's all. That makes a significant difference to the relationship in both directions. Neither party has any obligation to the other except the terms and conditions of the season-ticket.

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

This is because they have a relationship with their supporters. The opposite is true with CFG.

Simple.

Certainly that's the strong impression that I get over the past two seasons.

In the absence of a home match until 5th April, have a read of this. https://journals.openedition.org/belgeo/10271 

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Carlton Football Club is actually a real club with a Constitution etc. https://www.carltonfc.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/Carlton/Documents/Constitution.pdf. We are not a club in the same way, just a privately-owned organization.

Carlton members (most of them) have voting rights at club meetings - I'm not an AFL person but I suspect that the same is true for all AFL clubs.

We have no voting rights at all, and we are not really members of anything. Rather, we are season-ticket holders, that's all. That makes a significant difference to the relationship in both directions. Neither party has any obligation to the other except the terms and conditions of the season-ticket.

Certainly that's the strong impression that I get over the past two seasons.

In the absence of a home match until 5th April, have a read of this. https://journals.openedition.org/belgeo/10271 

Being pedantic on this, but Melbourne City FC would have a constitution too :P

8 hours ago, citypool said:

Pretty simple re Carlton. They're just a shit club who through total shitness, have spent a shitload of years propping up the bottom of the ladder. Probability suggests that after all those years of gaining access to high end youth talent, they'll finally land some ok players instead of the shit they keep picking up. Throw in a pre season win and their fans start coming out of the woodwork thinking this is the year they'll finally start climbing the ladder and they'll have a gun young team.

The reality is they'll just be as shit as they always are.

1 hour ago, citypool said:

So can the club improve at all or was this a shit comparison?

I think the message is that quality on the field and winning is not the fundamental indicator of support for a team.

People invest in things they feel they belong to and are valued in. Feeling a part of a bigger community is a biological drive made enticing when clubs value their members and everyone has a shared vision.

Instead at CFG we have a top down approach where the suckers at the bottom are given very little in return for their investment as a pawn in a greater game and there is an overt lack of substantial identity, culture and vision. 

• Like 3

Surely Carlton will have even more fans if they actually starting winning and play good football. Winning and success is definitely related to the amount of support teams get. We are just talking about the 40k rusted Carlton supporters here, who didn’t even turn up to all games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Surely Carlton will have even more fans if they actually starting winning and play good football. Winning and success is definitely related to the amount of support teams get. We are just talking about the 40k rusted Carlton supporters here, who didn’t even turn up to all games.

I agree, I think winning and playing attractive football is a huge part of building the numbers.

IMO, the whole culture/ownership/blah blah discussion starts gathering real moment when we are not performing well. This forum proves it - so many people pack up and quit stating the owners/culture/etc as the reason when we are under-performing. Yet as soon as we start winning and playing better, the same people magically re-appear...

However, I do believe the membership issue is not just a City problem, but a much wider issue with the HAL. Just running my eyes over some of those ACL games recently and being totally embarrassed when a team like victory only pulls a few thousand to their game. Yet when it is Japan or wherever, the crowds seem huge. 

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I know this may seem weird, but when I was growing up there were only 2 teams you could support at school. It was either Collingwood or Carlton and both clubs were top of the League. So to me Carlton is/has been a massive club and just needs a couple seasons of success to again become dominant. Essendon is very similar. 

Alternatively St Kilda Bulldogs and both Melbourne's  have always been small clubs. The only club that has moved from being a small to big club has been Hawthorn. 

Now all this based on my own opinion and to be fair I stopped following AFL closely in the early 2000s.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

To paraphrase Margaret Thatcher - show me.

Well that is much easier said than done as private companies are not in the habbit of making their constitution public.

That being said I have never seen a private company without a constitution.

I will also direct you to one of the award winning 'off the shelf' company providers website, where it shows under the 'Your company package includes' section tgat they provide a constitution with the company establishment. This I assure you is industry standard and the only companies that would be likely to not have a constitution would be those where the shareholders/directors set the company up themselves by completing the ASIC form themselves without any assistance from lawyers/accountants (something that I have never seen as most people who do it themselves order online from someone like TopDocs).

• 2 weeks later...

I had an unexpected parcel pickup from the post office today, sure enough, 2 unsolicited membership packs for Mrs G and I, we've not paid for them, nor requested them. Clearly, the franchise is keen to boost season ticket holder numbers any way that it can.

There are 2 additional bits of irony to this: I tried to buy 5 game season tickets into Active before the season started, I was told that couldn't be done, sure enough, these are active bay tickets; The worst part is that the welcome letter is signed by... Bruno:tooth:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I had an unexpected parcel pickup from the post office today, sure enough, 2 unsolicited membership packs for Mrs G and I, we've not paid for them, nor requested them. Clearly, the franchise is keen to boost season ticket holder numbers any way that it can.

There are 2 additional bits of irony to this: I tried to buy 5 game season tickets into Active before the season started, I was told that couldn't be done, sure enough, these are active bay tickets; The worst part is that the welcome letter is signed by... Bruno:tooth:

Better check it again Bela. It's probably for next season's Perth home matches...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic