Melbourne Football

Memberships/Season Tickets

jw1739

1 hour ago, morphine said:

Why would you do that? Why does it matter so much? Don't we have the most money in the league?

Lol what do membership numbers have to do with club finances? We're not saying we need more members to provide money for the club. We want more members so our fanbase and crowds can grow.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

No idea why people care so much about the tally, I've noticed one bloke posts on the comments of just about every city fb post asking about it.

Agree.

I think it comes back to self worth and people wanting to be seen as being popular. So if you are part of a club that has 50000 members you are somehow better than someone thats part of a club that has 5000.

All it means to me is longer sausage stand lines.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, morphine said:

Why would you do that? Why does it matter so much? Don't we have the most money in the league?

Yes we have the most money but i would like to see how our membership base is growing over the years.  It should matter to everyone because if we are not growing then something is wrong. Obviously with the nature of our signings this year it wont be a problem like previous years.

Edited by Heart of oakleigh

43 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Agree.

I think it comes back to self worth and people wanting to be seen as being popular. So if you are part of a club that has 50000 members you are somehow better than someone thats part of a club that has 5000.

All about the atmosphere for me, bigger the crowd better the atmosphere.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Agree.

And possibly undercooked sausages...

2 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

No idea why people care so much about the tally, I've noticed one bloke posts on the comments of just about every city fb post asking about it.

Because the club needs more members and financial success. Even with CFG, we need to become self sufficient. 

One day the salary cap will be removed, and we want to be in a good position when that happens.

Plus, a few more people with scarves in the air singing So Happy Together will be enjoyable.

The relevant numbers for last season - for those who really want to know - were as follows.

Memberships were launched on 24th June 2015.
31st July 2015.......................5,231 at the end of the "Reserved seat renewal period."
14th August 2015..................5,447 when it was announced members would receive free admission to the Wellington FFA Cup match.
25th August 2015..................5,831 at the end of the "free entry to FFA Cup period."
3rd September 2015..............6,094 "Membership Day."
6th October 2015...................7,058 Release of “First four home game memberships”
23rd November 2015.............8,160 Launch of 3-match "Holiday Pack."
11th January 2016.................8,727 Launch of 3- and 7-match packs.
18th March 2016....................9,452
18th March 2016....................2016-2017 memberships were launched at 12.00 noon.

FWIW I think the figure that counts is the number of people who bought full season tickets - i.e. 7,058. Anything after that is fudging the numbers to try and improve the "metrics."

Make of the numbers what you will.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I see it as being pretty critical for the survival and future of the club. Are CFG still going to be around if we have 10,000 members in 2030?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Have you? 

Obviously different atmosphere but you deny that 80k crowd is better than a 40k crowd at the G

I have. A bigger crowd at the g is always better but what i was hetting at is that afl crowds are much bigger than ours but the atmosphere at our games is far better than every afl game i have been to. I dont think bigger crowds necessarily mean better atmosphere

2 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I have. A bigger crowd at the g is always better but what i was hetting at is that afl crowds are much bigger than ours but the atmosphere at our games is far better than every afl game i have been to. I dont think bigger crowds necessarily mean better atmosphere

Absolutley agree but would love for a big crowd to join in with the active boys to create something absolutely amazing, just like 'you'll never walk alone' for Liverpool would make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up knowing thats its our club and supporters that are creating it. :wub:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HeartOfCity said:

Have you? 

Obviously different atmosphere but you deny that 80k crowd is better than a 40k crowd at the G

A mate and I were talking about back in the 70s when we attended games at Windy Hill or the Western Oval in Barkly street there was more noise then than there is today at Etihad. There was banging on boundary fence, streamers, banter and chanting. Today it is like a funeral wake - burst of noise when recollecting an anecdote.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, NewConvert said:

A mate and I were talking about back in the 70s when we attended games at Windy Hill or the Western Oval in Barkly street there was more noise then than there is today at Etihad. There was banging on boundary fence, streamers, banter and chanting. Today it is like a funeral wake - burst of noise when recollecting an anecdote.

Moving back to Vic after about 20 years away, I was shocked about the lack of atmosphere at AFL matches.

13 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

what is there to be enthused about with AFL, It used to be a real man's game but they have sanitzed it and taken the biff out of it ,thats what i liked about it. The shirt fronts and the vigour, now it's all kick and run .

Kick and run... A bit similar to soccer hey

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

what is there to be enthused about with AFL, It used to be a real man's game but they have sanitzed it and taken the biff out of it ,thats what i liked about it. The shirt fronts and the vigour, now it's all kick and run .

The same with Rugby League johnno.  its all low percentage risk plays (=boring) and if someone gets injured, well that's got to be a free kick and a suspension hasn't it (even if it had no malice and for a century it was within the rules)?  Let's change the rules too, so that:

• if a guy puts a kick through defenders are expected to get out of his way
  • make a shoulder charge, part of the game for a century, no longer allowed.  

Might as well watch netball.

31 minutes ago, Jozzy said:

Any idea on what we were at this time last year, mate?

At the same time last year (13th August) we were 5,434.
I'm not sure how often the HAL website numbers are updated, but I think it's weekly. In the absence of our own daily number that's the only source I have for this season at the moment.

23 minutes ago, MICHAEL_MACGYVER said:

I can't wait for the season to start i'm going through withdrawals from the sausage stands at the home games!

Speaking of which there's a Mr Bratwurst at Prahran Market, they also sell the packaged sausages so that you can make your own. No need to suffer sausage-wise in the off-season

Unrelated to memberships, but certainly related to customer feedback and retention of fans.

I just attended City's opening match as I'm a huge Sunderland fan and I've received this follow up email which I was impressed with. 

With Tim Cahill signing, we're going to see a lot of non members come through the gates and perhaps this will help retain customers and minimise the impact of the inevitable and natural dip in attendances once the Cahill factor wears off.

image.png

• Like 2

• jw1739 pinned this topic