Melbourne Football

Memberships/Season Tickets

jw1739

That's interesting. While he's been Australia's best Socceroo, I wouldn't see myself buying a while membership just for Cahill. He just isn't a player that I think is special to watch on his own merit. I don't mean to say he isn't special in the context of his role playing internationally and his club career but his overall attributes just don't do it for me. 

7 minutes ago, n i k o said:

That's interesting. While he's been Australia's best Socceroo, I wouldn't see myself buying a while membership just for Cahill. He just isn't a player that I think is special to watch on his own merit. I don't mean to say he isn't special in the context of his role playing internationally and his club career but his overall attributes just don't do it for me. 

Who would hypothetically make you want to take out a membership. Bruno?

Just now, Jovan said:

Who would hypothetically make you want to take out a membership. Bruno?

I think most people would much rather watch Bruno than Cahill once they're in the door. The problem is getting them through the door in the first place.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Former top players, playmakers with big names. Villa, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho. If I wanted to watch one player it'd have to be someone at that level. 

Without being disrespectful that's almost exactly how most Eurosnobs see it. And that's why Cahill will have less impact membership wise than say a big name Marquee. Cahill will increase the gate numbers but I feel they won't be long term.

Last season we had 2 phenomenal players and imo were better than Broich/Berisha and what have we got to show for it.

We need to be promoting Bruno x10 times and also Cahill and whatever the Marquee is just to get 10k.

I just don't understand CFG thought process.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Without being disrespectful that's almost exactly how most Eurosnobs see it. And that's why Cahill will have less impact membership wise than say a big name Marquee. Cahill will increase the gate numbers but I feel they won't be long term.

Last season we had 2 phenomenal players and imo were better than Broich/Berisha and what have we got to show for it.

We need to be promoting Bruno x10 times and also Cahill and whatever the Marquee is just to get 10k.

I just don't understand CFG thought process.

No disrespect taken because I go to games locally from NPL to different levels of state league. So that's not the way I think, however, putting myself in a position where I have no interest in the aleague whatsoever that would be the reason I would come. If the league doesn't interest me then something else has to be there to draw me in. This is where the FFA short sightedness holds the league back when it could be growing at a far quicker rate which will allow more internationals of top quality it come here. All this rubbish with guest spot changes for example is proof of this. Yes we need to be promoting Bruno much more, but we need to promote him along side top players that will bring the Eurosnobs in. They already have a vested interest in the game, they just need to be drawn in. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, teemac said:

16000 at Geelong was only because Schools, Businesses and football teams gave out free tickets.

I bought my tickets to watch Atletico last weekend (ticket number 5031-5036, I'm assuming I was one of the last to buy tickets), then this week my employer, local club and cousins school gave us another 6 free tickets.

But it was good exposure for Victory, they have a foothold on the Geelong fans demographic that City haven't tapped into at all yet.

That was my point. Our off-season is so long that in a place such as Melbourne with so much coverage of AFL we need to do as much as we can to get exposure to our club. Free tickets, playing a top Euro club's second XI - doesn't matter - it's exposure that our game and our club badly needs to keep the public interested.

• Like 3

We're not going to tap into any Geelong market by playing friendlies there. Victory have already been there, done that. Same reason that Kewell didnt attract new supporters when he came to Heart like he did for the Mongs.

The only way we attract Geelong supporters, or supporters from anywhere thats already been exposed to elite football in Victoria is by having a team thats a) brilliant to watch - we achieved that in 2015-16 b ) wins - getting there but still to be achieved and c) has a player that people want to see.

Eurosnobs arent going to jump for Cahill. It's not the market they are targeting with him. The Cahill demographic is your average sports fan that only really watches soccer during the world cup. AFL supporters and cricket fans. And IMO, thats a bigger market than the Eurosnobs. Its also much more fickle fwiw.
And moreso than any instant gate increases, Cahill will ensure city are grabbing headlines every week because its he that attracts Joe Averagesportsfan's attention. 

Unprecedented media presence is what Cahill brings to the table, and in that respect he will be better than Del Piero or Villa ever were.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Unprecedented media presence is what Cahill brings to the table, and in that respect he will be better than Del Piero or Villa ever were.

See this is all great and I believe it could potentially create a huge boost for us initially come the start of the season. But what worries me is whether or not they will pounce on him if he doesn't make an immediate impact goal-scoring wise. Not that I give two what the papers say but they could really dampen the situation 

1 hour ago, MattN said:

See this is all great and I believe it could potentially create a huge boost for us initially come the start of the season. But what worries me is whether or not they will pounce on him if he doesn't make an immediate impact goal-scoring wise. Not that I give two what the papers say but they could really dampen the situation 

Absolutely it could, but it would probably been the attention is on us anyway.

If we are flying but Cahill isnt, that could make for interesting times.

Anyway something something any publicity good publicity

On 8/1/2016 at 3:39 PM, jw1739 said:

That was my point. Our off-season is so long that in a place such as Melbourne with so much coverage of AFL we need to do as much as we can to get exposure to our club. Free tickets, playing a top Euro club's second XI - doesn't matter - it's exposure that our game and our club badly needs to keep the public interested.

We really need to do something. Swear I see so much more media/ advertisements and exposure regarding victory compared to City, That may be because I am down in Geelong though...

Is it the same in Melbourne?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, teemac said:

We really need to do something. Swear I see so much more media/ advertisements and exposure regarding victory compared to City, That may be because I am down in Geelong though...

Is it the same in Melbourne?

Not 100% but i reckon we wouldnt be targetting the Geelong area with advertising in the same way Victory do. Its a key area for them. 
I honestly see more of our stuff in Melbourne than theirs, same goes for Ballarat. The one thing I reckon they do significantly better than us is the weekly spot on SEN. Ian Robson's weekly segment is something we dont do and something I reckon could really keep us relevant to old mate Joe Averagesportsfan. Think that might be a CFG directive rather than the club tho tbh.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Not 100% but i reckon we wouldnt be targetting the Geelong area with advertising in the same way Victory do. Its a key area for them. 
I honestly see more of our stuff in Melbourne than theirs, same goes for Ballarat. The one thing I reckon they do significantly better than us is the weekly spot on SEN. Ian Robson's weekly segment is something we dont do and something I reckon could really keep us relevant to old mate Joe Averagesportsfan. Think that might be a CFG directive rather than the club tho tbh.

This is spot on the perception. Victree=accessible Us=inaccessible 

9 hours ago, bt50 said:

Totally agree with these comments. Victree have put alot of hard work in down here in Geelong so they really should reap rewards for there efforts. City however seem more focused on winning Melbourne, the schools they get involved in and the competitions they have for other clubs, the communtiy work they have been doing is all great if you ask me. And im sure getting involved in the schools is a good way to steal hearts at a young age. My son plays for a Club in Geelong and it has a massive alliance with Victory, so much so they had some kids walk out with Victory on the weekends friendly. The club is absolutely riddled with Victory apparel and supporters and hope this is the same thing that is happening for City's efforts in what they get involved in.

So... I am weighing up the merits of a membership.

My current policy of turning up and picking one of the 10,000 available seats each week has worked pretty well thus far. However, I would like to actually secure some decent seats for the season. The sticking point is getting tickets for mates if they ever want to come along. Is it difficult to secure tickets for non-members (that aren't three bays over) if you have a season ticket?

30 minutes ago, Blackout said:

So... I am weighing up the merits of a membership.

My current policy of turning up and picking one of the 10,000 available seats each week has worked pretty well thus far. However, I would like to actually secure some decent seats for the season. The sticking point is getting tickets for mates if they ever want to come along. Is it difficult to secure tickets for non-members (that aren't three bays over) if you have a season ticket?

Im pretty sure you can get tickets for them but if you want to sit with them you have to call up and pretty sure you get a discount or its free. No stress you just have to move for that game.

6 hours ago, Red or Dead said:

Dude, with a 3 yr + 1 yr old girls and work consuming my life at the moment I'm not finding much time to do the excel sheet.

I might send it to @Tesla to do ;) 

fair enough. I figured that was why you'd been low profile on this.

(surely though your missus would understand how important this is and volunteer to do your work too so you could fulfill this important task) 

• Like 2

• jw1739 pinned this topic