Melbourne Football

Marrone Re-Signs for a further two years

ForestHeart

It's fantastic news. Hope he plays. And hopefully he's the first of a number of our current players who will represent the Socceroos.

From Holger:

“I thought he’s played a decent season so far, and I was impressed by the way he played at times against very popular players, good players, experienced players, and let’s say he did a good job although he is still lacking something.”

“I want to reward him and give him another incentive to keep going, keep working hard and taste already what it’s like to be in that group.”

I like what Holger is saying here. We put promising young Australian players on a pedastal whenever they show flashes of potential. But he's making it clear that he hasn't made it yet and selection is partly a reward, but also an incentive to keep improving. I think Marrone has had a pretty good season, but agree that he needs to keep pushing to find another level. He was a revelation at RB last year, but while he's been consistent, he's just leveled off I reckon. He's looked to me like he's hit a comfort zone where he knows he's good enough at this level. Selection for Australia right now is a great move because it should challenge him to keep pushing himself to find that extra something.

Maybe this is an example of where good foreign coaches can sometimes bring a better perspective than many local ones. Because they've been involved at the highest levels throughout their careers, they don't seem to get over-excited about young players who show potential. JVS is similar I think in that instead of blowing his trumpet whenever a young player does something good, they can see that to really make it internationally, they need to be pushed to work hard and must have the right attitude. There seem to be a number of young Australians in Europe right now who we thought might be the next big thing who seem to be struggling to establish themselves. And the Olyroo performances have been a big disappointment. We sometimes need a reality check. Anyway, I'm waffling on.

Go Marrone.

• 8 months later...

Luke Wilkshire is injured for the friendly against South Korea

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/11/10/soccer-russia-dynamo-wilkshire-idINDEE8A905Z20121110

So maybe Marrone could get another call up? IMO he's been average this season, but he was in the squad for the friendly against Saudi Arabia earlier in the year, so he could be a chance. It'd be great to see him and Zyzz in the Socceroos squad!

• Like 1

• 8 years later...
9 hours ago, Shahanga said:

@fensaddler

Foundation stalwart. One our best in those days, even got in the Socceroo squad on his strong form.

In the end we sold him to Europe, didn’t work out and he came back and played for his old club Adelaide.

That would explain why I don't really know him. I only came to Aus late in 2011, and was only just picking up my first few Heart matches in 2012....