Melbourne Football

Pre-season 2022/23

MHFC-FAN

5 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

If I've read this right, we've just lost 5-0 to Adelaide in a pre season friendly.

https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/city-complete-pre-season-with-friendly-against-adelaide

We don’t even mention the score anymore it seems? It does read like Leckie scored a goal?

At least VDV on the park but winless against proper opposition a full pre-season.

Love the last paragraph!

15563D39-57F7-4382-BECA-F6595F5A6697.jpeg

35 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

If I've read this right, we've just lost 5-0 to Adelaide in a pre season friendly.

https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/city-complete-pre-season-with-friendly-against-adelaide

It sounds like a 2-4 defeat.

I keep reading

Callum Talbot and Curtis Good weren’t involved due to minor knocks in training this week

Hopefully, it means that PK has been flogging the team very hard in pre-season and that this accounts for our abysmal 'form' and multiple training injuries. His normal pattern is to periodise the training: high intensity pre-season and then high intensity before the finals; this usually coincides with a drop in form.

This is the charitable explanation for a comprehensively underwhelming and concerning pre-season

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

It looks like we lost 1-5 with Caputo scoring. Nabbout missed a penalty.

"Minor knocks" to Talbot and Good, along with Galloway and Berenguer still out makes four out altogether.

The season ahead is not looking good at this point.

We can’t take anything away from losing every pre-season game JW! It’s only pre-season…we need to work harder, follow the process!

Winning pre-season games is for losers!!

Edited by Mr MO
  • Haha 1

Four matches against A-League opposition, three goals scored and thirteen conceded.

Up to now we've tended to have the opinion that the squad is up to the task but it's the coach who is the problem. But I'm beginning to wonder about that view. 5-1 is a serious drubbing, even in a pre-season match. There seems to be no spark there somehow.

Edited by jw1739

25 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Four matches against A-League opposition, three goals scored and thirteen conceded.

Up to now we've tended to have the opinion that the squad is up to the task but it's the coach who is the problem. But I'm beginning to wonder about that view. 5-1 is a serious drubbing, even in a pre-season match. There seems to be no spark there somehow.

Well last seasons significant drop in form and big players not linking up has obviously continued in pre-season but this is what you get if a coach has lost the dressing room and the team doesn’t play for the coach. 

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Before people get too despondent, it has been a similar (but not as extreme) pattern in previous seasons under PK, it takes us until about Round 5 to get going. The problem this season is that by then, we have a World Cup break so we may struggle to build any momentum

Hmmm I don’t recall a single season where we have lost every single pre-season game? Not even the heart days.

• Like 1

From adelaide https://adelaideunited.com.au/news/reds-beat-city-in-behind-closed-doors-friendly

Match details:
Pre-Season Friendly — Friday, 30 September 2022
Casey Fields

90 minutes
Melbourne City 0
Adelaide United 3 (Barr 12’, Clough 37’, Blackwood 76’)

45 minutes
Melbourne City 1 (Caputo 28′)
Adelaide United 2 (Jovanović 32’, Van der Saag 43’)

On 30/09/2022 at 4:39 PM, Mr MO said:

We can’t take anything away from losing every pre-season game JW! It’s only pre-season…we need to work harder, follow the process!

Winning pre-season games is for losers!!

It's really concerning, I think it's our worst pre-season we have ever had, I don't have high hopes for the season atm.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, moops said:

It's really concerning, I think it's our worst pre-season we have ever had, I don't have high hopes for the season atm.

And thats where this is a cunning plan. 

We will start the season with a bang. Our best ever. (Which isn't hard tbf) and be well clear after 6 rounds. 

• Like 1

Just back from the pub and a chat with PK and a few others, stuff of note:

Lam will be a central defender, Berisha will be an 8 (presumably Metcalfes spot), fairly decent commentary from both PK and Jamo on most of the slightly tricky questions, a few of the more notable answers being that there isn't a plan B and that Pep has been playing with a Plan A and nothing else for 15 years, however we might see some variation, but unlikely to be in round 1.

The only answer I didn't particularly like was the one to the fact that we consistently failed to get results against WU. 

Also apparently the Asian Champions League is cancelled for this year, so out of three qualifying times we'll get one campaign, which seems rather nonsensical. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Lam will be a central defender, Berisha will be an 8 (presumably Metcalfes spot), fairly decent commentary from both PK and Jamo on most of the slightly tricky questions, a few of the more notable answers being that there isn't a plan B and that Pep has been playing with a Plan A and nothing else for 15 years, however we might see some variation, but unlikely to be in round 1.

The only answer I didn't particularly like was the one to the fact that we consistently failed to get results against WU. 

Also apparently the Asian Champions League is cancelled for this year, so out of three qualifying times we'll get one campaign, which seems rather nonsensical. 

No ACL is really disappointing. We've had one crack in difficult circumstances, never saw a game at home, and knowing our luck we'll not get another chance for years...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tommykins said:

apparently the Asian Champions League is cancelled for this year, so out of three qualifying times we'll get one campaign, which seems rather nonsensical. 

WTF why would it be cancelled? Covid is not a major issue in most countries now? Don't see why this would be the case... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tommykins said:

Pep has been playing with a Plan A and nothing else for 15 years, however we might see some variation, but unlikely to be in round 1.

Fmd and did he really compare himself with Pep? Actually makes sense since they both are frauds.... By variation did he mean a sub at 85th minute instead of 93rd?

2 minutes ago, HughJass said:

Edited by HughJass
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Pep's Plan B is to get better players to play Plan A. We don't have that budget or range of choices

And Plan C is to sign as many of the other good up-and-coming players as he can and loan them elsewhere so that they can't play for other EPL clubs.

12 hours ago, Tommykins said:

It 100% confirms and proves that PK just can’t coach by himself and he is just implementing, sticking to a format given to him by Mombaerts and the CFG.

Yes the blue print how to play is there but player selection, minor changes and substitution surely are with the local staff.

Manchester City can actually string more than 5 passes together, at times we can’t.

With a player group who has visible grown fatigued of PK, we need to look elsewhere for next season.

9 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

WTF why would it be cancelled? Covid is not a major issue in most countries now? Don't see why this would be the case... 

I haven’t read anything that the ACL is cancelled?

Also along with the whole no plan B thing and how PK has said Pep has only had a Plan A, the thing Pep is really good at is realising when the team needs refreshing, at Man City we see players leave who still have the quality to play at that top level but they know they need new people to play those same roles but have a new refreshing approach to it, hopefully this is what VDV and Berisha will bring, along with Lam as well who is perfect for our high line as he has a decent amount of pace

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Zanty said:

Also along with the whole no plan B thing and how PK has said Pep has only had a Plan A, the thing Pep is really good at is realising when the team needs refreshing, at Man City we see players leave who still have the quality to play at that top level but they know they need new people to play those same roles but have a new refreshing approach to it, hopefully this is what VDV and Berisha will bring, along with Lam as well who is perfect for our high line as he has a decent amount of pace

Well said. Quite frankly, making any comparison of an A-League coach/manager with the coach/manager of any club in the top European leagues is laughable.

• Like 1