Melbourne Football

Pre-season 2022/23

MHFC-FAN

42 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

A highlight reel of missed chances…..

To be fair one shot hit the bar with the keeper completely beaten, another great save from a header, and another competent one, but yes, not over-inspiring. For me it's the first sequence that highlights our problems; there's a long ball out to the right wing, and then a ball inside, and at that moment there's a huge gaping hole just outside and right in front of the box and not a single City player is running into it so instead there's then a pass out to the left wing. We're not good at all at cutting through a defence with a quick passing movement.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

To be fair one shot hit the bar with the keeper completely beaten, another great save from a header, and another competent one, but yes, not over-inspiring. For me it's the first sequence that highlights our problems; there's a long ball out to the right wing, and then a ball inside, and at that moment there's a huge gaping hole just outside and right in front of the box and not a single City player is running into it so instead there's then a pass out to the left wing. We're not good at all at cutting through a defence with a quick passing movement.

I know, unlucky hey!

I was more having a giggle, don’t recall ever seeing clip from a club solely on missed opportunities.

Any feedback on JMAC going missing again, he’s got me worried for when the real work starts.

The switching sides with longs ball even though you are nearly on the opponents box is exactly how Manchester plays, unfortunately they seem to have a higher execution level and speed.

Edited by Mr MO

4 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I know, unlucky hey!

I was more having a giggle, don’t recall ever seeing clip from a club solely on missed opportunities.

Any feedback on JMAC going missing again, he’s got me worried for when the real work starts.

The switching sides with longs ball even though you are nearly on the opponents box is exactly how Manchester plays, unfortunately they seem to have a higher execution level and speed.

Might Jmac be a bit complacent? He has no competition for his spot and has been with the club for 3 or 4 years now. Even last season he seemed a bit off... 

19 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Might Jmac be a bit complacent? He has no competition for his spot and has been with the club for 3 or 4 years now. Even last season he seemed a bit off... 

Yes last season wasn’t as good as the previous seasons (still goals but poor field play) and I’ve seen most preseason games he just continued that same level, he’s not at Socceroo level at the moment. Hmmm complacency perhaps yes, even though he doesn’t seem that type of guy. I’ve said it many times here,  I would love to see another type of centre forward in the squad also to change game when we are stuck in our way.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Yes last season wasn’t as good as the previous seasons (still goals but poor field play) and I’ve seen most preseason games he just continued that same level, he’s not at Socceroo level at the moment. Hmmm complacency perhaps yes, even though he doesn’t seem that type of guy. I’ve said it many times here,  I would love to see another type of centre forward in the squad also to change game when we are stuck in our way.

Yeah true on current form certainly not worthy of a socceroos call up. Hoping last season was a one off and he gets back to scoring much more regularly. 

I was kinda hoping we would sign someone like Tomi Juric as back up striker... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I very much doubt that JMac is complacent. In the interviews that I've seen he's always been very frank and open about his own, and the team's performances. IMO the problem is that PK persists with a line-up that is deficient in players who can create opportunities in tight situations. 

It's fine to mount the argument that PK has the trophies in the cabinet, but that doesn't address the current situation, which is that we've lost some key players and we're playing nothing like we were two seasons ago.

10 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Rafa is that man. But wasn't in the squad at Gosford.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I very much doubt that JMac is complacent. In the interviews that I've seen he's always been very frank and open about his own, and the team's performances. IMO the problem is that PK persists with a line-up that is deficient in players who can create opportunities in tight situations. 

It's fine to mount the argument that PK has the trophies in the cabinet, but that doesn't address the current situation, which is that we've lost some key players and we're playing nothing like we were two seasons ago.

Rafa is that man. But wasn't in the squad at Gosford.

JMAC and Nabbout are coming to mind when talking about drop in form. They are also both most visible frustrated, and after all this time are still looking to click and understand each other’s play. 

3 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Apart from the result against the Mariners, it pisses me off that the club didn't mention we were playing away to the Mariners until we had actually played then. 

Why the secrecy in the pre season? Shouldn't there be a full pre season schedule we could know about already? 

I know people will say that we are being negative, but this is what fan engagement, or lack thereof, is really about. Back a few years in the Heart days we had a full announced schedule of matches all around Melbourne, including Oakleigh, Frankston, Langwarrin, Springvale, Port Melbourne, Veneto Club, etc., we'd get to chat with the bench, see new signings, triallists, the kids could get autographs, there were merchandise sales, food and refreshments etc., and it had a personal touch to it all.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I know people will say that we are being negative, but this is what fan engagement, or lack thereof, is really about. Back a few years in the Heart days we had a full announced schedule of matches all around Melbourne, including Oakleigh, Frankston, Langwarrin, Springvale, Port Melbourne, Veneto Club, etc., we'd get to chat with the bench, see new signings, triallists, the kids could get autographs, there were merchandise sales, food and refreshments etc., and it had a personal touch to it all.

Yeah exactly! It isn't hard to write one post that outlines who we are playing and where we are playing... Don't like to be negative but the club has been really mediocre this pre season. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, citypool said:

I feel like it’s the a league in general none of the clubs have much ambition to do better. We went from FFA to APL and nothings changed.

ive accepted were a Niche sport with below average ratings and attendance 

Your not wrong, if we want to earn more respect and gain more interest. Ultimately growing the clubs then their needs to be moreput more effort put in to prove it's a fully professional league. There's probably better run NPL clubs out there... 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jw1739 said:

This is exactly the problem. In the Heart days we felt part of the club, it felt like a warm family. It now seems like members are an inconsequential.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I usually would say you're being negative, but i do think you're spot on with this one. This is an area the club ahs definitely dropped the ball in imo.

9 hours ago, bt50 said:

I usually would say you're being negative, but i do think you're spot on with this one. This is an area the club ahs definitely dropped the ball in imo.

I’m the last one to let the club of the hook of course…..

but I’ve seen several office functions from commercial to designers being advertised with the club in recent months. Could it be that we’ve lost back office staff with the move from Bundoora to Casey?

On 05/09/2022 at 4:44 PM, citypool said:

I feel like it’s the a league in general none of the clubs have much ambition to do better. We went from FFA to APL and nothings changed.

ive accepted were a Niche sport with below average ratings and attendance 

I'm not sure that we can point the finger at APL although IMO they have taken several missteps since they took over. APL took over at just about the worst possible time at the start of the pandemic, and we shouldn't underestimate the effect that that is having everywhere, and neither should we overstate the effect either. But it is real and we should take it into account.

However, it is individual clubs that carry the responsibility for engaging with their local communities and fans, and this is where City have dropped the ball.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

but I’ve seen several office functions from commercial to designers being advertised with the club in recent months. Could it be that we’ve lost back office staff with the move from Bundoora to Casey?

Wouldn't be surprised if they are required to work on site, as going from Northern suburbs to SE is quite a hike.. 

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I have heard in the past that the club is not over-generous on the salary front. This plus travel isn't going to make working for the club particularly attractive.

In terms of engagement many suggestions have been made over the years as to how City could improve, and none of them are rocket science. I've made a few myself - such as birthday cards for junior members - and I know others have too. But they go nowhere. The club is more interested in announcing it's new FOREX partner or some such, which shows where its mindset is.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Where's the announcement? I also saw reference to another match against Central Coast, but can't find it again.

9 hours ago, citypool said:

It’s on the Facebook page I’d share with you I deleted Facebook 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10159736936512479&id=284795317478&m_entstream_source=timeline&__tn__=*s*s-R

42 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I see that we are continuing our usual pre-season form. 2-4 loss. We've concede 6 goals to CCM in 2 pre-season games. The third season curse is upon us😥

Looking at the pre-season results it takes me back to the Heart days. It’s only pre-season some might say. Have we actually beaten anyone?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Ahhh...he is here for the Germano treatment centre head executive position 

Beat you to it in the VDV thread! But seriously, how many "knocks" is that so far? Berenguer and Talbot also out. But again, we should have, via our Academy, the best reserve players in the League. And with PK being such a stubborn inflexible coach these results are very concerning indeed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1