Jump to content
Melbourne Football

Pre-season 2022/23


Recommended Posts

Well that was such a Heart/City way to end the season. Leave the worst game to last... Mr "uNLucKy" got very lucky last night with us winning the grand final for him. 

Overall the season was acceptable. We were arguably the best team during the regular season. Although we could have wrapped up the Premier plate much earlier we still did it under a fair bit of pressure. 

First ACL campaign and we went undefeated and only missed out on the round of 16 due to one team pulling out. For the first time competing we did alright. 

Grand final was definitely a very dissapointing performance and highlighted our weaknesses throughout the season. 

I expect the players to have a good hard look at themselves and hopefully the coaching team will too... 

We will likely be playing competitive football again with the Australia Cup round of 32 likely to be running in July. 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Couldn't agree more..

Looking ahead at our squad it seems like Colacovski is going to be leaving and you can't blame him considering the lack of game time he gets. I really hope he stays but unfortunately I don't see it happening.

 

Jamo - I honestly feel his days are done and we play so much better when Bos is in his position. The only reason he continues to start is because of the arm band he wears. Bos provides a spark just like Atkinson did.

 

Glover - he has been so hit and miss since the 2020 Grand Final where he absolutely tore it up. I think we need to at bare minimum sign up a decent quality keeper.

 

With Metcalfe going to Germany we need to sign up a decent creative midfielder. Berenguer probably had his best season with us prior to being injured and you knew he wasn't going to come back and play as he did straight after returning from Injury.

 

Leckie seems to play alot more freely when he takes up that CAM position than he does on the Wing.

 

I would happily play a back 4 of Bos/Good/Nuno/Galloway seeing as we most likely won't keep Jenkinson.

 

Midfield obviously we have the likes of O'Neil and Berenguer but that is where it ends..

 

Up front Jmac, Leckie and Nabbout with Tilio coming off the bench. Would almost put Leckie in that CAM position with Berenguer and O'Neil and play Tilio and Nabbout up front with Jmac..

 

Just my 2 cents worth.. dissapointing end to the season and a shame that there isn't as much emphasis on finishing on top of the ladder as there is winning the Grand Final.. any other league around the World you are Champions finishing the season on top. Unfortunately in Australia there is so much emphasis on a Finals series because of the AFL and NRL. 

 

Overall a successful season. Back to back premiers, undefeated in our first ever ACL campaign and only eliminated because of some Mickey Mouse rule because of a club who pulled out.. Qualified again for ACL and Jmac winning the Golden Boot. Still a season to be proud of the boys! COYCB ❤🤍💙

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, heart1011 said:

Couldn't agree more..

Looking ahead at our squad it seems like Colacovski is going to be leaving and you can't blame him considering the lack of game time he gets. I really hope he stays but unfortunately I don't see it happening.

 

Jamo - I honestly feel his days are done and we play so much better when Bos is in his position. The only reason he continues to start is because of the arm band he wears. Bos provides a spark just like Atkinson did.

 

Glover - he has been so hit and miss since the 2020 Grand Final where he absolutely tore it up. I think we need to at bare minimum sign up a decent quality keeper.

 

With Metcalfe going to Germany we need to sign up a decent creative midfielder. Berenguer probably had his best season with us prior to being injured and you knew he wasn't going to come back and play as he did straight after returning from Injury.

 

Leckie seems to play alot more freely when he takes up that CAM position than he does on the Wing.

 

I would happily play a back 4 of Bos/Good/Nuno/Galloway seeing as we most likely won't keep Jenkinson.

 

Midfield obviously we have the likes of O'Neil and Berenguer but that is where it ends..

 

Up front Jmac, Leckie and Nabbout with Tilio coming off the bench. Would almost put Leckie in that CAM position with Berenguer and O'Neil and play Tilio and Nabbout up front with Jmac..

 

Just my 2 cents worth.. dissapointing end to the season and a shame that there isn't as much emphasis on finishing on top of the ladder as there is winning the Grand Final.. any other league around the World you are Champions finishing the season on top. Unfortunately in Australia there is so much emphasis on a Finals series because of the AFL and NRL. 

 

Overall a successful season. Back to back premiers, undefeated in our first ever ACL campaign and only eliminated because of some Mickey Mouse rule because of a club who pulled out.. Qualified again for ACL and Jmac winning the Golden Boot. Still a season to be proud of the boys! COYCB ❤🤍💙

I would say you have echoed the thoughts of most of our fans. There will be some that will disagree but overall a good season. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...
6 hours ago, haz said:

Anyone know when we should expect the season's fixtures to be released?

During the March

Edited by Jovan
Said in a wog accent, and possibly finished off with a forceful spit to the ground
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, haz said:

Anyone know when we should expect the season's fixtures to be released?

Irrespective of the league fixture, our first match will almost certainly be the Australia Cup match on 22nd August up in Newcastle. https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/australia-cup-city-to-begin-campaign-in-early-august

We need to start well in this. We nearly tripped up against Edgeworth so we can't take Newcastle Olympic lightly.

For me the big question now is whether there are any further signings in the pipeline. IMO we need to replace Griff (assuming he's finished with us although there's no confirmation of that so far).

Edited by jw1739
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Jeez, the pitch has got more bumps than the cobblestones in the Tour de France. City two up after a few minutes.

 

New season and still no midfield. Gomulka and Berenguer starting.

1-2.

Edited by Mr MO
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

New season and still no midfield. Gomulka and Berenguer starting.

1-2.

2-2 now.

Ironic isn't it? MV play Manchester United at the MCG and we play Dandenong on a cow paddock.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, icantthinkofacoolname said:

Not so sure we can really draw any conclusions from this one, but good to get some minutes in the legs 

Not sure that we can even go that far because we played mainly NPL players, especially in the second half.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

Not so sure we can really draw any conclusions from this one, but good to get some minutes in the legs 

Well I can conclude that Glover by foot hasn’t improved. Mostly put his team mates in trouble with pass outs.

Mostly NPL players for us.

Hard pitch to play our style of football on.

Poor long balls from Gomulka.

Non of our A-League players stood out at this point in pre-season.

Good work out, on to the next game!

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know why we're still passing the bloody ball back to Glover. Quite a few of those in the second half put him under pressure as did his subsequent pass out. Didn't see much from Berenguer either.

As I opined previously, the pitch was a disgrace. I'm surprised that we agreed to play on it. Perhaps we could provide Dandenong with a roller if they can't fund one themselves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Well I can conclude that Glover by foot hasn’t improved. Mostly put his team mates in trouble with pass outs.

Mostly NPL players for us.

Hard pitch to play our style of football on.

Poor long balls from Gomulka.

Non our A-League players stood out at this point in pre-season.

Good work out, on to the next game!

Fabulous ball to the wing by Gomulka made the third goal...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Is this the most boring off-season yet?

It is getting that way. The new players have not had a run in the games we have played so we are all back to wondering whether we are seeing not one but two Pucciarelli's. The same issues noted last season are still there with the only solution to "try harder". So yeah. pretty boring.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/8/2022 at 9:55 AM, jw1739 said:

Is this the most boring off-season yet?

It’s the sense complacency and head in the sand approach from the club, that’s what really kills it for me. 

I’m certain others might feel disengagement too.

This pat on the back article not to long ago, where the club praised themselves on winning 1 of 3 grand finals and there was nothing to improve really eggs on my frustrations at times. We are a top club now and I want to hear how we can be better every season, not how good the club think they are.

Those poor preseason performances don’t help either.

This team needs a kick under the bum and need a proper coach to kick into gear, a coach the team want to play for.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/08/2022 at 3:13 PM, Mr MO said:

It’s the sense complacency and head in the sand approach from the club, that’s what really kills it for me. 

I’m certain others might feel disengagement too.

This pat on the back article not to long ago, where the club praised themselves on winning 1 of 3 grand finals and there was nothing to improve really eggs on my frustrations at times. We are a top club now and I want to hear how we can be better every season, not how good the club think they are.

Those poor preseason performances don’t help either.

This team needs a kick under the bum and need a proper coach to kick into gear, a coach the team want to play for.

Would it kill the club to announce at least some pre season friendly games? The silence is deafening... 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

One observer on Twitter: "I was at the game. City were poor. Maclaren was out there but invisible."

Sounds like nothing has changed in the 2 Aus Cup games and this hit out. Feeling fairly uncomfortable at this stage of the pre-season...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Sounds like nothing has changed in the 2 Aus Cup games and this hit out. Feeling fairly uncomfortable at this stage of the pre-season...

You're not alone. My big question is who played against CCM and was Van Der Venne one of them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

You're not alone. My big question is who played against CCM and was Van Der Venne one of them?

Funny enough I met Van Der Venne at the local pool of all places. He said he was going to play in this game. Whether or not PK played him is a whole other story... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Report went up on the club website barely two minutes ago.

No sign of Van Der Venne. I find this very concerning - not even a mention as to why.

image.thumb.png.b1812c36b4f0c581edee83b9587766a1.png

 

VDV just returned from an injury I believe, also no wonder we are signing another midfielder, looks like we are very short rn, not a single senior midfielder in that starting XI, we played Jamieson as a CDM and also played Leckie and Caputo as advanced 8s, we seem to have some injury issues rn

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Zanty said:

VDV just returned from an injury I believe, also no wonder we are signing another midfielder, looks like we are very short rn, not a single senior midfielder in that starting XI, we played Jamieson as a CDM and also played Leckie and Caputo as advanced 8s, we seem to have some injury issues rn

Yep, but if you read above, VDV himself said he was going to play...

Midfielders from the senior squad not present were Berenguer, O'Neill, Gomulka, VDV and Durakovic. Oresti is in the seniors as a MF but wasn't a starter either.

Up front no sign of Rafa or Sulemani.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...