Melbourne Football

RD 23 | Away to Adelaide Friday 11 March 7.30pm

Dylan

A massive test. I can only see us losing this but i could almost forgive the idiocy we have witnessed this season (in the ffa cup, both losses Newcastle games, the Nux last week,  etc) if we can cause an upset 

Edited by KSK_47

This is huge, it could be an amazing game. The two best attacking teams in the league, their front 4 of Cirio, carrusca, Goodwin and Djite definitely rival ours.

I cant wait for it, hopefully we turn up and truly give them a game.

We play out best we win

Stefan Mauk to score the winner in the 90th minute then he'll run over to the away fans and celebrate in front of them whilst all of S16 are standing on the fence yelling and abusing him.

If only dreams did come true.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

A massive test. I can only see us losing this but i could almost forgive the idiocy we have witnessed this season (in the ffa cup, both losses Newcastle games, the Nux last week,  etc) if we can cause an upset 

I would still be pissed because if we'd won those games this one wouldn't be as significant.

Biggest game of the season. Have to win if we want to win the premiership. Frankly I don't think we deserve it considering how inconsistent we have been this season, but that doesn't matter. It's all about looking forward and getting maximum points at this stage of the season. 

Yes their combination of Goodwin, Carrusca, Cirio et al is in enviable form at the moment, but we need only be lethal on the counterattack and we're every chance. Bruno and Harry must be given every opportunity to combine. I think we play our best football on big occasions, and the boys should treat this match as just that. We should be thinking that we have as much a right to win the league as Adelaide, we're at full strength and coming off a clinical second half performance against Sydney. Plus if we do win I reckon we'll get our biggest home crowd (minus the derbies) against Brisbane the week after. There's no lack of motivating factors for this one. 

Go City.

42 minutes ago, Dezy94 said:

Biggest game of the season. Have to win if we want to win the premiership. Frankly I don't think we deserve it considering how inconsistent we have been this season, but that doesn't matter. It's all about looking forward and getting maximum points at this stage of the season. 

Yes their combination of Goodwin, Carrusca, Cirio et al is in enviable form at the moment, but we need only be lethal on the counterattack and we're every chance. Bruno and Harry must be given every opportunity to combine. I think we play our best football on big occasions, and the boys should treat this match as just that. We should be thinking that we have as much a right to win the league as Adelaide, we're at full strength and coming off a clinical second half performance against Sydney. Plus if we do win I reckon we'll get our biggest home crowd (minus the derbies) against Brisbane the week after. There's no lack of motivating factors for this one. 

Go City.

Who hasn't been inconsistent this season? People do remember that Adelaide was utter rubbish at the start of this season, right? The only reason that they (and we, for that matter) are a chance to top the league is because it's been a particularly schizophrenic season.

Well and truly time for the team to not let us down in a massive statement game. Interesting to see how badly these players truly want it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

A really tough game, even a draw would be acceptable here but theres no reason we can't win it.

Yeah, agreed. As supporters, I think we need to go up and down like the fortunes of the team. As far as I'm concerned, the team should be looking at four point as a bare minimum from the next two weeks, if it wants to stay in the hunt. Four points would mean we can't lose ground to two of our major rivals and we'd stay ahead of Victory (considering a nine goal advantage on them currently). If we drop either of those games, we lose ground on at least one of the top three (and perhaps two of them, with Wanderers coming up against Newcastle and Adelaide).

I think we need 11 points as an absolute minimum for the remainder of the season, if we want to finish top two, although 13 would be handy to have a shout at the Premiership.

I believe our best formation would be 4-4-2 from here on in. I also think it's time to bring in Chapman and Clisby (have no idea why he hasn't been in the squad) back into the team.

The team I would go for is:

Sorenson

Franjic

Wlkinson

Chapman

Clisby

Malik

Mooy

Fitzgerald

Bruno

Harry

Zullo

Subs: Bouzanis, Garuccio, Paddy, Retre, Caceres

I haven't been happy with Jacob's performances the last few games so would omit him from the squad. I know it may be controversial to drop Paddy, but I think the pace of Chapman would help us in this game. Finally I believe Clisby is a better left back than either Garuccio or Zullo. Why he has disappeared from the match day squad is very puzzling to me.

19 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Drop Paddy? Start Clisby? No melling?

We just won 3-0 you know that? fmd

Come on man, we just won.

Have to change the team or it will get boring. :D

Seriously though, the inclusion of clisby for Garruccio could work as he is a bit better defensively but as with Garruccio his disposal is a bit sloppy.

Melling I like as he is alway applying pressure on the opposition and forces turnovers.

Dropping Paddy is just ridiculous.

3 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Drop Paddy? Start Clisby? No melling?

We just won 3-0 you know that? fmd

We won against a depleted team who caused us problems in that first half. Especially down the left.

Why Clisby has been side lined I have no idea. He is a better defender than either Zullo or Garuccio.

I also believe that we need some more pace in the back than both Alex and Paddy offer. So that is why I would replace one of them.

As for Jacob, I have no idea why he gets the nod over Retre. His passing has been piss poor for the last few games, and his defending not much better.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity there seemed to be an issue with Franjic towards the end of the match and appeared injured. Has anything been confirmed regarding injuries?

This could have a bearing on team selection. BTW the team did look better after half time when Melling was subbed off for Fitzgerald.

And another thing that irritates me is that AU went to Wellington and came away with three points and City stuffed it.

6 hours ago, silva10 said:

We won against a depleted team who caused us problems in that first half. Especially down the left.

Why Clisby has been side lined I have no idea. He is a better defender than either Zullo or Garuccio.

I also believe that we need some more pace in the back than both Alex and Paddy offer. So that is why I would replace one of them.

As for Jacob, I have no idea why he gets the nod over Retre. His passing has been piss poor for the last few games, and his defending not much better.

Owe you a like

well said

Edited by japiedog

11 hours ago, silva10 said:

Retre hasn't been any better unfortunately. 

I'd consider Trifiro. ..

1 hour ago, Deeming said:

spinning_wheel.gif?token=fOZ5o5p%2BwwRJL

How to predict if we will win or lose or draw

Sort of. Although it could be argued that a pattern is emerging. We get let down in away games, against mediocre opposition, when a win would really announce us as a serious challenger. We also tend to get blown off the park early in away games where we are playing a top team and we have a chance to really put our name right up there as a genuine contender. We lose games after our recent form has been overrated (we beat a decimated Sydney side that had to play mid-week and all of a sudden, we're world-beaters again: I've already seen talk about Adelaide facing a 'rampant' Melbourne City this week)

Then we'll win games where we've written the team off and JVS is in danger of coming under some real scrutiny.

It's not quite a chance to hit the top of the table for a brief moment like Wellington or Western Sydney, but it's not far off. It feels more like the sort of game we'd lose than the sort we'd win, although we have to win one of these eventually. I'm going to say a draw. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Sort of. Although it could be argued that a pattern is emerging. We get let down in away games, against mediocre opposition, when a win would really announce us as a serious challenger. We also tend to get blown off the park early in away games where we are playing a top team and we have a chance to really put our name right up there as a genuine contender. We lose games after our recent form has been overrated (we beat a decimated Sydney side that had to play mid-week and all of a sudden, we're world-beaters again: I've already seen talk about Adelaide facing a 'rampant' Melbourne City this week)

Then we'll win games where we've written the team off and JVS is in danger of coming under some real scrutiny.

It's not quite a chance to hit the top of the table for a brief moment like Wellington or Western Sydney, but it's not far off. It feels more like the sort of game we'd lose than the sort we'd win, although we have to win one of these eventually. I'm going to say a draw. 

FWIW our home record is 7-2-2 and away record is 3-3-5. Away form, particularly since the new year, has been what has cost us top spot on the table.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, bt50 said:

FWIW our home record is 7-2-2 and away record is 3-3-5. Away form, particularly since the new year, has been what has cost us top spot on the table.

IMO just one match is the critical one - the home wimp-out to Newcastle after we led 2-0. But for that we would have been right in there with a real chance for the Premiership.

Edited by jw1739

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO just one match is the critical one - the home wimp-out to Newcastle after we led 2-0. But for that we would have been right in there with a real chance for the Premiership.

Agree. Probably the only game this year where you could genuinely say we dropped points given the match and the context.

19 hours ago, SF33 said:

Yeah, agreed. As supporters, I think we need to go up and down like the fortunes of the team. As far as I'm concerned, the team should be looking at four point as a bare minimum from the next two weeks, if it wants to stay in the hunt. Four points would mean we can't lose ground to two of our major rivals and we'd stay ahead of Victory (considering a nine goal advantage on them currently). If we drop either of those games, we lose ground on at least one of the top three (and perhaps two of them, with Wanderers coming up against Newcastle and Adelaide).

I think we need 11 points as an absolute minimum for the remainder of the season, if we want to finish top two, although 13 would be handy to have a shout at the Premiership.

You're dreaming. We just beat a tired half a team and you think we are going to have a chance in the top two?

You forget we have one millstone around our neck. JVS. He's the only coach I know that can take a diamond, subject it to tremendous heat and pressure and turn it into carbon dust!

17 minutes ago, Ray said:

You're dreaming. We just beat a tired half a team and you think we are going to have a chance in the top two?

You forget we have one millstone around our neck. JVS. He's the only coach I know that can take a diamond, subject it to tremendous heat and pressure and turn it into carbon dust!

I can imagine Adelaide supporters saying that about six weeks ago.

I think we are an outside chance for top two.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, silva10 said:

I believe our best formation would be 4-4-2 from here on in. I also think it's time to bring in Chapman and Clisby (have no idea why he hasn't been in the squad) back into the team.

The team I would go for is:

Sorenson

Franjic

Wlkinson

Chapman

Clisby

Malik

Mooy

Fitzgerald

Bruno

Harry

Zullo

Subs: Bouzanis, Garuccio, Paddy, Retre, Caceres

I haven't been happy with Jacob's performances the last few games so would omit him from the squad. I know it may be controversial to drop Paddy, but I think the pace of Chapman would help us in this game. Finally I believe Clisby is a better left back than either Garuccio or Zullo. Why he has disappeared from the match day squad is very puzzling to me.

That line up suggest a flat midfield 442?  No way we would or should play that - I'm pretty sure the only one who thinks its still got any value in the world of football is the captain of my O45s (but luckily the rest of us just ignore him!).

My take on your player suggestions:

Kisnorbo just had one of his best games for the season, I'm not dropping him for a kid who can't head the ball and hasn't played a game in 2 months

Clisby isn't playing because he's can't play (well) as an overlapping fullback, gaffer doesn't want a wide centre back.  Zullo isn't playing because he's been a shadow of his old self, might have done the trick too considering he looked energised when he came on Saturday night.

I agree with you on Melling though.  Given he was dragged at half time and the team started playing much better immediately I'd say his starting days are over.  Frankly he's been selected on his last season form for sometime now and it has to stop.

As to Trifiro (to answer others) he is there in case we get a hell of a lot of injuries.  Just not good enough I'm afraid.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, playmaker said:

Come on man, we just won.

Have to change the team or it will get boring. :D

Seriously though, the inclusion of clisby for Garruccio could work as he is a bit better defensively but as with Garruccio his disposal is a bit sloppy.

Melling I like as he is alway applying pressure on the opposition and forces turnovers.

Dropping Paddy is just ridiculous.

Garuccio i'm happy to concede, i do not know why he continues to get the start over zullo at lb, either play the gooch on the wing as is his natural position or have him come off the bench. 

18 hours ago, silva10 said:

Clisby is only effective when he is played as a CB, he is simply not quick enough when he is played as a fullback to keep up with other teams forwards, and even then when played as a CB he is not better then Kisnorbo, Chapman or Wilkinson. I would start Zullo at LB because he also suits our game plan better of when we push forward our fb overlapping our wingers, something that Clisby cannot do with his limited pace. To drop Kisnorbo out of the team entirely though is just a bit harsh mate, i'll admit i'm a massive Kisnorbo homer on here, but he played quite well last week, to drop him entirely is just madness sorry.

If you as me both Jacob and Retre have been quite poor recently, however i'm willing to give Melling another chance before i'd pull him for retre. The only controversial thing i would suggest for this week would be to switch fitzgerald for Caceras, i thought the team looked 100x better with Fitzgerald up front and while i like Caceras, he just doesn't look comfortable in the position he is being played in currently. Maybe chuck Caceras in Mellings position, put melling and retre on the bench for something really left field?

EDIT: pretty much what @Shahanga said

Edited by kingofhearts