Melbourne Football

THE GRAND FINAL THREAD: City VS Western 28th May 7:45pm KO

kingofhearts

58 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

No hysterics required. Outplayed and outcoached. Tonight all our team's and coach's shortcomings were brutally exposed. We were never in it. As easy as you like for WU who deserved to win.

Got home about 45 minutes ago. Obviously I'm disappointed that we lost, but I think that my biggest disappointments are that we did it in front of what was largely a pro-City crowd of 22,495 - it's a long time since I saw so much City blue - and that I doubt that we'll see any changes at the club as a consequence of the defeat.

We were indeed completely outplayed and outcoached. And I can't see us going anywhere with this combination of coach and players. WU were faster, more mobile, controlled the ball better, and passed better. Our front five were totally bereft of creative ideas, and I don't think I've ever seen all five play so poorly at the same time. Our defence was outjumped and outmuscled and never really had the ball under control except when playing backwards or sideways.

It's almost impossible to say any more about PK. Just as in Bangkok he doesn't seem to understand that the objective is to win. To not bring on attacking substitutes when your starting forward line is making zero impact is beyond belief. Even when Tilio came on he was largely ignored by his team-mates.

A disappointing end to what could have been a great season, but we have the consolation of the Premiership and ACL again next season. Like most football fans everywhere - ah well, we'll be back next season.

• Like 2

Credit to WU, they had a plan all season and they stuck to it and it's got them silverware. But I don't understand how they are good, they have a good keeper, an amazing CB, a good quality RB and a good striker and that's it. Really shows that tactics and game sense can beat any star studded team. 

We were incredibly poor, the game could have gone on for another 90 and we wouldn't have scored

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, neio said:

Credit to WU, they had a plan all season and they stuck to it and it's got them silverware. But I don't understand how they are good, they have a good keeper, an amazing CB, a good quality RB and a good striker and that's it. Really shows that tactics and game sense can beat any star studded team. 

We were incredibly poor, the game could have gone on for another 90 and we wouldn't have scored

Aloisi has matured as a coach. WU win matches because they work as a unit and are very quick and mobile. Everyone is back to defend a corner, two or three passes out and they have 6 in the penalty box in attack. Also once they're in front they use every professional trick in the book to break up play and waste a few seconds - a few seconds at every throw-in, the minor foul such as a sleeve pull to take the momentum out of an attack, 30 seconds to walk off at a substitution - you name it, they do it.

In contrast we are slow and predictable - we are nothing like the team of last season. Over 60% possession and we could do nothing with it. And of course in the background is the reality that we have stuffed up our visa and marquee/designated player situation.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, neio said:

I think that you do a disservice to some of their other players. They play to a system that gives them some flexibility to be creative and create attacking forays but more importantly they know how to defend.

• 4 weeks later...