Melbourne Football

THE GRAND FINAL THREAD: City VS Western 28th May 7:45pm KO

kingofhearts

I don't really know why we're so concerned by how many people attend, but...the first David Villa match attracted 15,717 and Level 3 on the Eastern Side was opened late in the ticket sales for that match. The problem is always that there are (almost) always unsold seats dotted around the stadium even when a match is officially a sell-out, for various reasons - no-shows, unsold seats in ones and twos when people want to buy a larger group, and so on. It's also difficult to tell what's what on Ticketek because a bay that's shown as unavailable could mean one of two things - either it is sold out or it hasn't been released for sale yet.

Tbf i generally agree with you with respect to attendances etc, although i do think its of a bit more interest being a grand final and getting the atmosphere that game deserves. All signs points to getting very close to 20k and i think that will be an amazing result for these two clubs, and hopefully give the league a bit of momentum into next season.
And tbh, part of me is looking forward to the crowd being notably bigger than MV's 'semi' on Saturday just to rub the point in for their constant attendance bullshit. No one actually cares but if you're going to insist on it being so important fuck oath im going to give it to you when you're outdrawn comfortably by the two minnows in town haha

Edited by bt50
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I don't really know why we're so concerned by how many people attend, but...the first David Villa match attracted 15,717 and Level 3 on the Eastern Side was opened late in the ticket sales for that match. The problem is always that there are (almost) always unsold seats dotted around the stadium even when a match is officially a sell-out, for various reasons - no-shows, unsold seats in ones and twos when people want to buy a larger group, and so on. It's also difficult to tell what's what on Ticketek because a bay that's shown as unavailable could mean one of two things - either it is sold out or it hasn't been released for sale yet.

It's mostly the rest of the trolls on the internet that are salty we're in the Grand Final. Wouldnt worry too much about it. Enjoy the build up to Saturday. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Tbf i generally agree with you with respect to attendances etc, although i do think its of a bit more interest being a grand final and getting the atmosphere that game deserves. All signs points to getting very close to 20k and i think that will be an amazing result for these two clubs, and hopefully give the league a bit of momentum into next season.

Certainly agree with you here. It's important for the league that WU and City develop their own derby rivalry and this is a great opportunity it being a Grand Final and the first intra-city GF for the A-League (although not the NSL).  Another one for the record books whichever way it goes. Because of COVID our Gang will gather for the first time this season albeit two members short.

Edited by jw1739

What are the thoughts on starting lineup?

Do we start same as Adelaide game or should we start as we finished the game. 

Gomulka start or Griffiths. 

Berenguer, did he do enough to earn a start, or do we go with Leckie cenral and start Tilio wide. I seriously hope playing Tilio centrally is last resort.

Other question for me does Bos play any role?

So my take is:

Gomulka starts for 2 reasons, 1 to nullify Kilkenny, IMO he is more mobile than Griffiths and also if he takes the corners. Again against Adelaide we went back to that short corner shit.

I am really thinking Leckie playing centrally and Tilio wide really worked and think Berenguer didn't do enough to start. Peak in form Berenguer is without question a no brainer but unfortunately I think hes weeks away from that. So for that reason I wouldn't start him and use him after 60/70 minutes especially if we are chasing the game.

Last selection possibility is Bos and Jamo. Bos has been exceptional and deserves to play, but having said that Jamo possibly played his best game against Adelaide and must start.

The rest pretty much pick themselves.

And Colakovski at 75 minutes plus for Nabbout is also a real option. 

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 1

OK, I have my tickets (four in fact) and havent missed a home game all season.

Firstly, the ticket prices are way too facken high!  After you've forked out for a membership, and with living cost high, covid impacts, yadda yadda yadda, its not priced for the everyday punter.

Secondly, I'm pissed to see the league now offering discounts to get more numbers .... what about the die hard true fans, shouldn't they get some reward?

Third, I'm even more pissed that Maccas are doing free family passes to the GF (via their app) if you spend $15 or more on food ... WTF?

If the league was smart (which they aint), they would have priced this to sell out.  With tickets so expensive, and with it being on FTA TV, now they have made a rod for their own back.  Its an embarrassment that you can get 80k theatre goers to watch Barcelona play a warm up game, and they cant work out how to sell out a GF.

Piss Poor

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Jovan said:

What are the thoughts on starting lineup?

Do we start same as Adelaide game or should we start as we finished the game. 

Gomulka start or Griffiths. 

Berenguer, did he do enough to earn a start, or do we go with Leckie cenral and start Tilio wide. I seriously hope playing Tilio centrally is last resort.

Other question for me does Bos play any role?

So my take is:

Gomulka starts for 2 reasons, 1 to nullify Kilkenny, IMO he is more mobile than Griffiths and also if he takes the corners. Again against Adelaide we went back to that short corner shit.

I am really thinking Leckie playing centrally and Tilio wide really worked and think Berenguer didn't do enough to start. Peak in form Berenguer is without question a no brainer but unfortunately I think hes weeks away from that. So for that reason I wouldn't start him and use him after 60/70 minutes especially if we are chasing the game.

Last selection possibility is Bos and Jamo. Bos has been exceptional and deserves to play, but having said that Jamo possibly played his best game against Adelaide and must start.

The rest pretty much pick themselves.

And Colakovski at 75 minutes plus for Nabbout is also a real option. 

For me Tilio is far more effective off the bench and for that reason I'm starting Flo. Flo will also be better for the run, and might be a better weapon against a low WU block, which i expect they'll do from the start.

The main selection dilemma for me is Griff v Gomulka. On form its Griff, but imo the slower, older Adelaide midfield was more suited to Griff's game, whereas a zippier counter attacking WU will be more up Gomulka's alley, in which case i'm opting for him.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

OK, I have my tickets (four in fact) and havent missed a home game all season.

Firstly, the ticket prices are way too facken high!  After you've forked out for a membership, and with living cost high, covid impacts, yadda yadda yadda, its not priced for the everyday punter.

Secondly, I'm pissed to see the league now offering discounts to get more numbers .... what about the die hard true fans, shouldn't they get some reward?

Third, I'm even more pissed that Maccas are doing free family passes to the GF (via their app) if you spend $15 or more on food ... WTF?

If the league was smart (which they aint), they would have priced this to sell out.  With tickets so expensive, and with it being on FTA TV, now they have made a rod for their own back.  Its an embarrassment that you can get 80k theatre goers to watch Barcelona play a warm up game, and they cant work out how to sell out a GF.

Piss Poor

This is a serious issue that must be addressed if the league and clubs are to grow. I am of the belief that, for an equivalent seat, it should never be cheaper for a non-member to attend a match than the cost for a member. All these special offers are a kick in the guts for the paid-up member.

The simple way, I think, would be for reserved-seat members to be entitled to book their membership seats for a home "finals match" as part of their membership, i.e. that there should be no additional charge.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

The discounts for casual fans mirror what happens with electricity companies and internet providers…. Always huge offers to snare new business, disregarding loyal customers.   Fact of life.  May as well move on. 

Tilio to start! 

Edited by CityWildcat

3 hours ago, n i k o said:

It's mostly the rest of the trolls on the internet that are salty we're in the Grand Final. Wouldnt worry too much about it. Enjoy the build up to Saturday. 

I’m two sides about the metrics. One side I think it’s very lame to talk about figures like you need to justify it. But I want the a league to succeed and the ratings/attendance is terrible.

• Like 1

I'd start same line up as against Adelaide, with Griff in from Gomulka.  Tillio comes on as an impact player.  Flo may have 70 minutes max in his legs.  Leckie can go to 10 when he comes off.  Leckie is a big game player and seems to have hit form at the right time.  Nabbout also is due a goal.  I hope we can blow em out of the water in the first 30   

If things go pear shaped, Bos needs to come on at the same time as Tillio.  Also, if we need to lock down a lead, Gomulka then should get some minutes

Personally I would be going with Griff over gomulka, tillio on the wing and Leckie central. FB looked to under cooked against Adelaide n historically he has taken a few games to build any form.

I would also go Bos over Jamo, but that is never gonna happen.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

PAX is life.

I would start with the same starting line up as Adelaide. Bring on Griff if things with Gomulka aren't going well. Leave Flo in, as he will be better for having had the run and I don't think he would make that much of an impact off the bench. Bring on Tilio and Bos as impact players. 

I'm quietly confident we will win this. We have some champion players who missed the last GF and will be hungry to lift the toilet seat. I also think the occasion will potentially get to WU and we will be able to come out of the blocks firing and put a lead on the board early 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

Third, I'm even more pissed that Maccas are doing free family passes to the GF (via their app) if you spend $15 or more on food ..

Do you have a link to this offer? Where did you hear about it?

9 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TJV said:

Just grabbed my tix. Pax at just over 18k. Hoping for 20k, but if not I feel like the atmosphere will be fucking huge regardless. Let's go boys!

Still a fair few seats on the WU end,while the City end is almost sold out. 

3rd level is filling up fast too. 

Also I remember from a few seasons back, I found that the final attendance generally was about 20-30% below the PAX. So I reckon we'll see an attendance of 18k.

Edited by haz

14 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Still seats in Bays 16 and 18.

Well if the tossers had it opened for the members I would be somewhere in bay 16 or 18 but with the limited tickets that were available during the member period that could accommodate the 5 people I have, I had to settle with bay friggen 14.  

23 minutes ago, haz said:

Still a fair few seats on the WU end,while the City end is almost sold out. 

3rd level is filling up fast too. 

Also I remember from a few seasons back, I found that the final attendance generally was about 20-30% below the PAX. So I reckon we'll see an attendance of 18k.

I mean, we don't have many supporters but the free Macca's tickets are given to fill the WU end

Edited by Tony999

41 minutes ago, haz said:

That would include membership seats already sold for a normal home game so in theory, other than a smattering of freebies and promotional tickets, the finals number should be pretty close to what has actually been bought this week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

That would include membership seats already sold for a normal home game so in theory, other than a smattering of freebies and promotional tickets, the finals number should be pretty close to what has actually been bought this week.

Trust the PAX.

• Like 1

This one would be so much sweeter.. beating another "melbourne" side.. and victory(the benchmark) who thought they had already won it

would keep the same squad as last sunday except griffo the king of asia in for gomulka, loved what tilio and cola did but much prefer their pace and energy as super subs! Flo burnt out the cobwebs now is ready to dominate. Cmon you city boys

Edited by DukeVader

I'm not sure how this will go, we should be starting favourites, and have the experience of two consecutive Grand Final appearances. We'll be relatively rested (compared to the breaks between games over the past few months, and are playing at home with almost a full squad. 

We haven't beaten WU at all this season, but this is a game they will need to play to win rather than just sit deep and counter-attack. We will need to score first though or it'll be much harder for us.

Either way, it's good to see a Grand Final between the two Melbourne teams

• Like 1

Bring it on!! 3-1 win for us tonight!

City come out firing with 2 early goals! Western get one back and then concede late while they chase the game. 

The narrative is perfect. Victory thinking they're the benchmark, coming to watch us lift the premiers plate, then bottling a lead in the semi to lose to the newest Vic side somehow despite having so many more supporters. 

Western happy to be in the big game for the first time but City come out and make history, putting their class and experience on show! 

Let's get behind them tonight and enjoy what will hopefully be an amazing night!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, haz said:

I can feel a Glover howler happening this game. 

Got to remember he was MOTM in our first grand final against Sydney. 

He's had a crappy error-riddled season but the talent's there, and he's been decent of late. I'm backing him in