Melbourne Football

The Finals Series 2021-22

jw1739

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

From then on (non-derby) attendances dropped, as per below (as did derby attendances)

2017-2018: 7,963
2018-2019: 6,782
2019-2020: 6,895 

Interestingly our average attendance this season is 6,530 and the 2 home derbies were both sub-20K crowds. Given the paranoia of covid it hasn't been a huge drop off in attendance...certainly plenty of room to improve 

54 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Interestingly our average attendance this season is 6,530 and the 2 home derbies were both sub-20K crowds. Given the paranoia of covid it hasn't been a huge drop off in attendance...certainly plenty of room to improve 

I suppose to counter that we've won the premiership and been reigning premiers, whilst being in the effective top 2 of the race for most of the season. We should be maintaining numbers at least, if not growing, all things being equal.

Our numbers are 100% a disappointment for mine, albeit in the wider context of the league far less disappointing than the rest.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Er, non-derby matches average at 3,614. COVID has had a big impact.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Would be interesting to see how many more we will get next season, after we announce the free memberships under  the “from designated player to designated fans” campaign.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

It doesn't surprise me. I've been a rusted on 10-11 home matches minimum for several seasons, and I bet I've only managed 5 or 6 this season. That's down to impossible scheduling. And there have been plenty who haven't attended at all because of covid. Let's get back to a more manageable schedule, get past covid, have something of a reset and then see where we are. Three things that get people going to matches are good atmosphere, entertaining football, and decent food/bevs. With small crowds we've been lacking atmosphere (but that's a longer run suppression of active terrace culture too), the football has been patchy (some of that is scheduling) and the food and bevs choice this year has been rank.

Edited by fensaddler
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, Nate said:

Pray4Western

I couldn't stomach a grand final against Victory, as monumental as it would be for the league. Not in the form they're in of late, nope

The pressure will be all on them though if we do play off in the final together. Those undefeated streaks come to an end eventually and the pressure of trying to maintain that in a final may be too much...there is also the pressure of trying to win another title to catch Sydney's 5 grand final wins. Additionally the pressure of Popovic having lost all grand finals he has coached as well. Playing in front of a majority fan base which will put even more expectation on their shoulders.

Frankly we will be the underdogs (if we make it) and the pressure is squarely all on them!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, fensaddler said:

It doesn't surprise me. I've been a rusted on 10-11 home matches minimum for several seasons, and I bet I've only managed 5 or 6 this season. That's down to impossible scheduling. And there have been plenty who haven't attended at all because of covid. Let's get back to a more manageable schedule, get past covid, have something of a reset and then see where we are. Three things that get people going to matches are good atmosphere, entertaining football, and decent food/bevs. With small crowds we've been lacking atmosphere (but that's a longer run suppression of active terrace culture too), the football has been patchy (some of that is scheduling) and the food and bevs choice this year has been rank.

Spot on mate. I moved to Canberra over 2 years ago but used to be an active support member since going back to the Heart days. I absolutely want the APL to bring in a Canberra mens team, not only because it'll be good for the league, but also so I can go see City play when they travel here. 

7 minutes ago, ChopperHeart said:

If after 2 legs it’s all square, does the good old away goal rule come into play before any ET or penalties?

If it does, it’ll be peak A-League if one of these teams progresses because they happen to score a goal at AAMI park the week it was their “away” game!! 😅

No away goals rule.

Forum hate aside, Aloisi deserves full credit for Western United's defensive structure. It's elite

• Like 1

10 hours ago, malloy said:

Haven't commentators credited Hayden Fox with their defensive strength?

Aloisi/Foxe, they're one and the same 😂

Either way, they press so well and really nullified Victory's forwards. Only conceded to a freak hit

2 hours ago, Nate said:

Aloisi/Foxe, they're one and the same 😂

Either way, they press so well and really nullified Victory's forwards. Only conceded to a freak hit

This surely is more of a high press high sock situation. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Nothing we didn’t know but this will have to change if we want get into final and actually win it.

PK got wound up about it during a press and called such stats disrespectful.

I wouldn't have said it's disrespectful because it's factual. (The headline is actually inaccurate because City themselves are in the top four....) No, we weren't good enough on the day to beat any of the clubs who finished 2nd to 4th on the ladder, but none of those three teams was good enough to get enough points against the teams who finished 5th to 12th to take advantage of that and win the Premiership. 

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kingofhearts said:

How many goals do western need to score to win? I heard even if western get another one, that victory would still go through on aggregate? 

No away goals rule, so I would have said extra time and then penalties if required. But don't know for sure.

• Like 1

• jw1739 unpinned this topic