Melbourne Football

The Finals Series 2021-22

jw1739

9 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Are all the finals Games on 10/10 play? Just wanna cancel my stupid paramount plus subscription that I only use to watch a league and nothing else

Yes I believe you can watch the remaining games on the 10 streaming services 10, 10 bold and 10 sport. 

mariners for me. they have a greater number of inexperienced players who may not be able to back up after today's game. Adelaide are so hard to beat away at coopers. We have had more success agianst CCM. and if we we do not win, i hate to say that, but i would prefer CCM to go through as i hate Adelaide for the FFA cup slaughter last year. It would also be good for the CCM region and club build given new owner etc. 

C'Mon City Boys!!!!

I'm dreading to play both, both teams have a style which gives us trouble. Yes we won the chocolates against CCM but they've improved with Cumdog onboard.

Adelaide has Yengi back, Good and Nuno could not contain this guy in the past games. We also struggled with their Japanese forward he dropped deep to pick up the ball.

Edited by Mr MO

5 minutes ago, K-aram92 said:

Well I'm nervous about Adelaide away. Always a tough place to play! But we'll have to take confidence from the fact we've been in winning positions both times there and hope to improve on that 

5 minutes ago, Nate said:

we are so fucked lmao

The duality of man

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, K-aram92 said:

Well I'm nervous about Adelaide away. Always a tough place to play! But we'll have to take confidence from the fact we've been in winning positions both times there and hope to improve on that 

We don't restrict our generosity to Adelaide you know. I think over the years we've been in winning positions absolutely everywhere...even as far away as Bangkok...

Shout out to the A Leagues, football Australia or whatever stupid name they call themselves nowadays.

It's been a remarkably challenging season and everyone acknowledges how tough it has been to get good attendances to games. 

I was extremely critical earlier in the year about being forced to play games on Tuesday nights, when most kids/players have training. Especially when they are the future of our game - they schedule games when they can't go.

So what better idea than to schedule a home semi final at 2pm on a Sunday, when so many kids are still playing their actual league games at that time. But hey, who cares, maybe channel 10 just found a sweet 2 hr gap between their rugby wankfest tv reporting to conveniently slot in an a league final. 

Who knows, but could you do anything more to disconnect our junior footballers from our 'premier' national competition.

Sorry if this has been raised elsewhere, but fuk they're doing their best to ruin football here.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, rass said:

Shout out to the A Leagues, football Australia or whatever stupid name they call themselves nowadays.

It's been a remarkably challenging season and everyone acknowledges how tough it has been to get good attendances to games. 

I was extremely critical earlier in the year about being forced to play games on Tuesday nights, when most kids/players have training. Especially when they are the future of our game - they schedule games when they can't go.

So what better idea than to schedule a home semi final at 2pm on a Sunday, when so many kids are still playing their actual league games at that time. But hey, who cares, maybe channel 10 just found a sweet 2 hr gap between their rugby wankfest tv reporting to conveniently slot in an a league final. 

Who knows, but could you do anything more to disconnect our junior footballers from our 'premier' national competition.

Sorry if this has been raised elsewhere, but fuk they're doing their best to ruin football here.

Couldn't agree more.

2pm on a Sunday, WTF.

I get that fixturing always will be a lose lose scenario and generally speaking somebody will be unable to go/watch. But seriously 2pm on a Sunday. 

• Like 1

Fellas, I hear you. But seriously, we have sold our soul to the small screen devil. Despite all the difficulties of COVID etc. etc., this remains the underlying factor in everything FFA and APL does. When was the fan who actually goes to the stadium last consulted about anything that really matters?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Fellas, I hear you. But seriously, we have sold our soul to the small screen devil. Despite all the difficulties of COVID etc. etc., this remains the underlying factor in everything FFA and APL does. When was the fan who actually goes to the stadium last consulted about anything that really matters?

But it's even more than just fan engagement. It's the future of this league and what pathway/aspirations we give our youth? Seriously, how can you expect to generate that passion for a kid to play at our highest level when you can't make a simple final accessible to them???? 

No wonder most kids think it's a joke and instead believe in an unrealistic future that it would be easier to find somewhere in Europe to play.

25 minutes ago, rass said:

But it's even more than just fan engagement. It's the future of this league and what pathway/aspirations we give our youth? Seriously, how can you expect to generate that passion for a kid to play at our highest level when you can't make a simple final accessible to them???? 

No wonder most kids think it's a joke and instead believe in an unrealistic future that it would be easier to find somewhere in Europe to play.

Yes, but these decisions are being made not for the benefit of Australians or Australian football, they're being made for the benefit of the the investments that have been made by overseas interests and who are now calling the shots. The so-called targeted bums-on-seats players that have been mentioned by APL are being funded by those same interests.

Edited by jw1739

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Yes, but these decisions are being made not for the benefit of Australians or Australian football, they're being made for the benefit of the the investments that have been made by overseas interests and who are now calling the shots. The so-called targeted bums-on-seats players that have been mentioned by APL are being funded by those same interests.

At the risk of being labelled negative, our own club is the same. None of our four directors is an Australian, and to my knowledge none live in Melbourne. Our owners are from the UAE, the USA and China. None of them care about what we might think or aspire to.

Pretty confident that we wouod have one director who ordinarily resides in Australia (it is a Corps Act requirement), unless you are referring to CFG and not the "club".

Obviously not working for everyone, but for what its worth 2pm on a Sunday is absolutely perfect for me and my kids.
They nag me every week to go but are far too young to make the trek from Ballarat for a 7.45 kick off. Sunday league obviously the biggest issue at this time of year, but id hope that a lot of Juniors are finished by that stage in Melbourne.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, citypool said:

Afl play there games at 2:00.

when do you want it 5:00? 

tbh I don’t think it makes a difference anymore the crowds are so low and western United stupid team are embarrassing the competition 

Yes, 5pm or later.

Community soccer is predominantly Sundays and a 2pm KO excludes those. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malloy said:

Pretty confident that we wouod have one director who ordinarily resides in Australia (it is a Corps Act requirement), unless you are referring to CFG and not the "club".

https://www.dnb.com/business-directory/company-profiles.melbourne_city_fc_pty_ltd.c0542dfdaf7bbfa44619c01a38d72d29.html#contact-anchor

Directors listed are: Khaldoon Al Mubarak, Simon Pearce, Martin Lee Edelman, Ferran Soriano.

Anyway, we'll never have a fixture calendar that suits everyone. I personally prefer Friday evening and Saturday afternoon or evening. I don't know about the "finals" but for the regular season I think it would be best if the fixture could be more regular, but again that's not going to suit everyone if the chosen day/time conflicts with another commitment they have.

1 hour ago, citypool said:

Afl play there games at 2:00.

when do you want it 5:00? 

tbh I don’t think it makes a difference anymore the crowds are so low and western United stupid team are embarrassing the competition 

I think it’s a common mistake to compare it to other codes. Scheduling of football matches in Australia is a lot more delicate matter and prone to circumstances.

We have the largest sport participation ratio in the country, ignored and denied by some still (root cause of most of the sport growth problems). We also have the smallest member base compared to these competing sports.

Combine those two and you will conclude that playing matches colliding with grassroots and NPL will just simply affect your attendances.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

This is all true and it's a pity for the supporters who cannot make it on Sunday.  No time slot would put soccer in the pole position.  Odd timing but not uncommon in our culture.  2pm is the popular spot in AFL and EPL. The league doesn't stop for international breaks. It's unlikely that they would accommodate for the community soccer. 

16 minutes ago, citypool said:

Ok fair enough people usually complain about Sunday night games.

I wanna complain now why do we have to pay for final tickets when we’re members? 

Cos FA get finals revenue, not the clubs. Always been that way and is across virtually every code.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I think it’s a common mistake to compare it to other codes. Scheduling of football matches in Australia is a lot more delicate matter and prone to circumstances.

We have the largest sport participation ratio in the country, ignored and denied by some still (root cause of most of the sport growth problems). We also have the smallest member base compared to these competing sports.

Combine those two and you will conclude that playing matches colliding with grassroots and NPL will just simply affect your attendances.

Until the end of Season 2019-20 I kept detailed attendance numbers in a spreadsheet. It shows some interesting patterns. Attendances steadily increased until the high point, Season 2016-17, when the average non-derby home attendance was 9,417. Incidentally, the attendance at the single home derby that season was 24,706.

From then on (non-derby) attendances dropped, as per below (as did derby attendances)
2017-2018: 7,963
2018-2019: 6,782
2019-2020: 6,895 (excluding pandemic-affected matches; by the end of that season we were being impacted by the pandemic and the final few matches were played in NSW behind closed doors)

Interesting too is that overall the attendances don't show anything much in terms of days of the week.
Friday (34 matches): 7,840
Saturday (35): 7,118
Sunday (33): 7,647

Obviously a lot of factors have affected the A-League, and Heart/City since our foundation. We won the FFA Cup that season, and we had players such as Bruno, Brandan, Colazo, Cahill, Sorensen, Kilkenny, Arzani, Brattan, Jakobsen. JvS left in the January to care for his father, who was seriously ill, and Valkanis saw out the season as our coach.

IMO it's impossible to point to a single reason for the decline since then. Is it the club, is it the league, is it the FFA, is it CFG? Who knows. 

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

https://www.dnb.com/business-directory/company-profiles.melbourne_city_fc_pty_ltd.c0542dfdaf7bbfa44619c01a38d72d29.html#contact-anchor

Directors listed are: Khaldoon Al Mubarak, Simon Pearce, Martin Lee Edelman, Ferran Soriano.

I would bank on DNB's info being incorrect as opposed to the club breaching a pretty basic requirement of the Corps Act. Either that or one of the four lives in Aus (which seems highly unlikely).

• jw1739 unpinned this topic