Melbourne Football

Taras "Gotmilk"-a

kingofhearts

43 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Thought this guy deserves his own thread.

We need to give him a big thank you for the two beautiful deliveries from his corners.

Now can we never play him again? Thanks

A bit harsh...? Beautiful inswinging corners that are very hard to defend. Almost worth his place for that alone.

52 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Thought this guy deserves his own thread.

We need to give him a big thank you for the two beautiful deliveries from his corners.

Now can we never play him again? Thanks

Err...are you taking the piss? I thought he had a good game and is worth giving more opportunities with in the future. Still behind O'Neil in the dm role but a good back up for sure!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Err...are you taking the piss? I thought he had a good game and is worth giving more opportunities with in the future. Still behind O'Neil in the dm role but a good back up for sure!

He’s a passenger bar the nice corners, he’s one of the problems this midfield doesn’t work. Back up is fine of course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

He’s a passenger bar the nice corners, he’s one of the problems this midfield doesn’t work. Back up is fine of course.

Here again we get back to coaching, team set-up, team selection, and style of play. You don't put two corners on a five-cent piece like that if you don't have some good skills. It's a bit like JMac - have to play to the skill sets that our players have. JMac is deadly in the box, but if the crosses keep going behind him then he's not going to be effective.

• Like 1

He has great promise. Sometimes he's caught out of position, but good one on one and good at corners. I remember when O'Neill started he was individually good but linked poorly with the team and so was the source of many midfield delays and breakdowns. This improved ver his first season and now we miss him. I can only see Gomulka improving with more game time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I understand he plays more defensively in the midfield but he drives me mental the way he constantly plays negatively with the ball, always passes back smdh.

Maybe with time he'll develop like O'neal has but he hasn't linked as well with the midfield as I would've liked an he has been given more then enough time imo to do so.

FWIW too my first comment is more tongue in cheek, I don't think he should be written off but at this point in time, he just isn't up to it.

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

I understand he plays more defensively in the midfield but he drives me mental the way he constantly plays negatively with the ball, always passes back smdh.

Maybe with time he'll develop like O'neal has but he hasn't linked as well with the midfield as I would've liked an he has been given more then enough time imo to do so.

FWIW too my first comment is more tongue in cheek, I don't think he should be written off but at this point in time, he just isn't up to it.

I assumed that your comment was with reference to PK never playing him again for delivering two great corners. A bit like dropping Tilio and Bos after earning MOTM.

34 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I assumed that your comment was with reference to PK never playing him again for delivering two great corners. A bit like dropping Tilio and Bos after earning MOTM.

How much credit do we want give for the first one? There was no City player to be seen when the ball was headed in their own goal. Attacking players not in the right spot?

All corners in the second half were wiped in on the exact same spot.

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

How much credit do we want give for the first one? There was no City player to be seen when the ball was headed in their own goal. Attacking players not in the right spot?

All corners in the second half were wiped in on the exact same spot.

To be fair, Gomulka is not the first player to kick in a corner only for the opposition to score an OG. Was it the kick? was it a bad header? who knows but the player is always credited with the kick.

• Like 2

There are structural issues in this team at the moment and a pretty clear unwillingness to give certain players a run. Other than the GK situation it's hard to just criticise individuals - IMO pretty much all the players have been below par this season.

We have won the Premiership. IMO we should be looking to next season, when we will have some age issues to deal with.

19 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

What is the conclusion,  so far. The first goal should have been disallowed as he crossed to no City player.  Secondly,  he should have been carded, as he targeted Nix player from the corner kick. 

The conclusion is...wtf are you on about???

Not sure if this was planned because of the opposition or its a new approach but whipping in a corner to a dangerous area is always hard to deal with.

And for ages we have persisted with the short corner.  Either Jamo or Berenguer or Metcalfe from memory and maybe even Tilio. 

I'm not fundamentally stuck on either, infact I actually like both and think we need to do both but it was refreshing to see 1 bloke at the corner flag whipping in a few tasty corners. 

Just now, Jovan said:

Not sure if this was planned because of the opposition or its a new approach but whipping in a corner to a dangerous area is always hard to deal with.

And for ages we have persisted with the short corner.  Either Jamo or Berenguer or Metcalfe from memory and maybe even Tilio. 

I'm not fundamentally stuck on either, infact I actually like both and think we need to do both but it was refreshing to see 1 bloke at the corner flag whipping in a few tasty corners. 

Yes exactly it’s about variation. Gomulka wipped in 3 identical balls in the second half, all the first post. They were easily dealt with.

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

Yes exactly it’s about variation. Gomulka wipped in 3 identical balls in the second half, all the first post. They were easily dealt with.

He actually made 4 successful crosses in which 2 resulted in goals. The other 2 were headers that one went wide and one just went over the crossbar... he should be taking all the set pieces when he plays!

13 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

9 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

He actually made 4 successful crosses in which 2 resulted in goals. The other 2 were headers that one went wide and one just went over the crossbar... he should be taking all the set pieces when he plays!

Paradoxically both of the above for me are correct.

We need variation and he should take them more often than not.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

Yes, mix it up. But those two were very tasty indeed, especially so early in the match, and they paid off.

2 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Can we all agree that alternative or short corners are shit though?

Short corners are shit except in limited circumstances e.g. taking a quick corner because opposition hasn't gotten back yet after quick break or you are pulling some sneaky move like Rooney did against Chelsea in approx. 2007 or 2008, although the refs incorrectly made United retake the corner.

Gomulka is still so young, definitely has good potential. He's not flashy and a little error prone which is probably why he gets roasted on here. 

I thought he was our best in the first half against the Nix and thought he attacked the ball and challenged disputed balls really well, not to mention his aforementioned crosses. 

He's not Metcalfe but he's on an upwards trajectory.