Melbourne Football

City vs Phoenix - AAMI Park 7:05pm - Monday 9th May

Baka1

The cream on top is that by City winning tonight, a certain other team from an unknown location somewhere in rural Victoria (No not Western, at least we have a rough idea which area they represent) lost its chance to get the Plate.

Edited by TheStig

Back from the game, relieved more than excited.

Positives:

We won the game

Back to back Premiers

Great game from Leckie, he didn't score but outmuscled every opponent and looked dangerous all night

We shut up that graceless rabble

Good first half but...

subs from PK

Negatives:

...then completely lost control of the game in the second half

Ollie Sail shows how a good keeper can keep his team in the game until the last minute. My heart rate went up every time Glover got near the ball

unfortunately, we didn't score in front of the rabble but at least our own active got to enjoy two goals

We really miss Florin's creativity and O'Neill's defensive cover

First half went too fast, 2nd half was a nightmare to watch. I had to leave my seat twice as I literally couldn't watch some nux free kicks ... my stress levels wouldn't allow for it ... and if we conceded, I'd probably have jumped the fence and decked Glover ... and got arrested 

Anyway, very happy to win the plate. It's a significant achievement and despite the pain of how we got there, we got the points and finished on top

Ufuk coaches better than PK. His tactics almost worked ... sit back in the 1st half, try and absorb pressure and then  attack in the 2nd half with fresh legs and an extra attacker up front. We only just won this against an undermanned Nux.

Jamo was very relieved at the end, and I guarantee you, the tards in attendance did spook them a bit. He gestured towards the tards to basically say our supporters are better, when he celebrated with our Active

But in all seriousness, our club makes dumb choices... the free tickets were always gonna get taken up by the scum ... yes, it made for some atmosphere, but it could have cost us ....and we'd have never lived that down

But fuck them soulless turds ... at least they know they made a wasted effort, saw their dog team lose the plate, and also live with the fact that they were chanting "Phoenix!" I swear they were trying everything to put off the boys, including throwing food on the pitch for the Gulls

Without Flo and O'Neil, and with PKs approach, we are unlikely to with the GF ... but ya never know. Premieres plate ultimately will over time be recognised as the better trophy, so once again, fuck you Vuktree scum

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 3

i cant blame them for rocking up to the game to hopefully win but to then sing phoenix chants all night was a fucking joke and a half, happy as larry to win the plate anything more even to get to the gf is a bonus.

Edited by Bannon

15 minutes ago, Bannon said:

i cant blame them for rocking up to the game to hopefully win but to then sing phoenix chants all night was a fucking joke and a half, happy as larry to win the plate anything more even to get to the gf is a bonus.

Yeah you can't blame them when they couldn't win it outright and had to rely on us slipping up. Expect nothing less from those muppets and I am glad they came and witnessed us being crowned premiers. 

Reckon anything from here will be a bonus! I am personally wrapped we got the Prem plate and ACL again! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@bt50What is the set-up this season? Wasn't it abbreviated last season? Do we play the winner of 5 vs. 6 and MV play the winner of 3vs. 4? And then the two winners go straight to the GF?

Believe we play whichever is the 'lowest place' winner. So it will be out of Wellington, Adelaide and Mariners. We won't play Western United or Victory until the grand final if we make it. 

5 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Believe we play whichever is the 'lowest place' winner. So it will be out of Wellington, Adelaide and Mariners. We won't play Western United or Victory until the grand final if we make it. 

A member of our Gang just sent me this.

image.thumb.png.8a39fe9c217fa1bc942c6cd86009e6ff.png

On 10/05/2022 at 11:48 AM, jw1739 said:

A member of our Gang just sent me this.

image.thumb.png.8a39fe9c217fa1bc942c6cd86009e6ff.png

So does this mean that Victory will need to face Western United if they beat Wellington (assuming City win their final)? If so then perhaps WU could eliminate Victory thus improving our chances of winning the GF whilst still guaranteeing an all Victorian GF.

18 minutes ago, TheStig said:

So does this mean that Victory will need to face Western United if they beat Wellington (assuming City win their final)? If so then perhaps WU could eliminate Victory thus improving our chances of winning the GF whilst still guaranteeing an all Victorian GF.

It does, yes.

Central Coast and Adelaide away are both tough assignments though.

45 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Yes Western United are probably more likely to ruffle Victory feathers than Adelaide or CCM...perhaps 

7 minutes ago, HughJass said:

You get a 2nd chance to turn it around in your home leg as previous format could have easily had 5th vs 6th in the final

There used to be a double chance for the loser of one of the play-off matches, but I can't remember how it worked.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

There used to be a double chance for the loser of one of the play-off matches, but I can't remember how it worked.

From memory the old format was 1st vs 2nd home and away playoff. The winner advanced to the grand final and the loser played off against the winner of 3rd and 4th. This format was ran when only 4 teams made the finals in the early years. 

12 hours ago, HughJass said:

You get a 2nd chance to turn it around in your home leg as previous format could have easily had 5th vs 6th in the final

And if we win our away leg, do we still play the home game? Edit: I'm sure we do, but I don't see any advantage anymore for being the top team. Before the advantage was you play a home final. Now it gives the lower ranked team more opportunity from how I look at it. 

Edited by n i k o