Melbourne Football

City vs Phoenix - AAMI Park 7:05pm - Monday 9th May

Baka1

• jw1739 changed the title to City vs Phoenix - AAMI Park 7:05pm - Monday 9th May
3 hours ago, ChopperHeart said:

A small upside, the Nix just guaranteed their spot in the 6 tonight beating WSW…. So less to play for on Monday night for them. Hopefully they just forfeit now, for all our sakes.

From their perspective and where they finish in the six is it more or less advantageous to win on Monday night?

4 hours ago, TheStig said:

From their perspective and where they finish in the six is it more or less advantageous to win on Monday night?

If they finish 4th they'll get a home game in the preliminary play off. 

Irrelevant. Forget about the rest of the clubs. 

Time we stopped tolerating underperformance. We fucked up in Thailand, we fucked up in Perth. Our task is to win on Monday, irrespective of earlier results. Anything less is a fail.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TheStig said:

The CCM and Adelaide games over the weekend will determine if there is any chance of the Nux having a home final to play for. Their goal difference is awful so a draw won't be enough, so im sort of of the view that it might not be bad thing for them to need to come chase a result against us. We've been at our best this season when teams have tried to 'play' against us as it opens up more space in behind.

Regardless, we have everything to play for and should be cherry ripe on our home deck. Zero excuses.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jovan said:

CBF checking but our home record has been very good.  The loss to the tards was away for the record. 

So I think because of that, and because I'll be going the only possible result will be a win.

we've picked up 22 points from 12 games (6 wins fwiw)

they have 13 points from 12 away games (4 wins).

take that how you like

• Like 1

On 04/05/2022 at 10:52 PM, Baka1 said:

This game will tell us where we’re at

Actually, it will. It will tell us whether we deserve to be Premiers or not. In a previous season (I can't remember when it was) we were leaders with two rounds to go and stuffed it up.

We've got a squad quite capable of doing the job, and it will depend on whether we have the balls to do it. There are no excuses available.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Actually, it will. It will tell us whether we deserve to be Premiers or not. In a previous season (I can't remember when it was) we were leaders with two rounds to go and stuffed it up.

Pretty sure that was the year Adelaide won it. 2015/16? 

36 minutes ago, Nate said:

huge game today

IMO one of the most important in the club's history. I don't think we've been quite in this position before, our last league match of the season and just one win away from a Premiership? Rather like a Grand Final, with the added spice of doing it over both Victory and Western United. I think that it will show whether we have really changed our character as a club or not. I want to see our coach and our senior players stand up and deliver tonight. 

• Like 3

Based on Talay's comments regarding team selection, it seems as though Wellington won't be playing a full-strength XI. 

We really, really can't afford to fuck this up.

“For us it’s about getting some minutes into the legs of some of the players. It’s also an opportunity to see what players can do leading into our finals game.

“All the pressure is on them and not on us, so I think it’s a great opportunity for all of the boys to go out there and express themselves.

“I think it’s a great opportunity to go out there and play with a lot of freedom as well. We’ve achieved what we wanted to achieve by making the top six.”

Talay also plans to give some of his players the night off.

“We don’t have a lot of players to mix and match at the moment so we’ll have to pick and choose the ones that we believe need the rest and the ones that need game time.

“We’ll still put out a good team, go out there and try and get a result against Melbourne City and play some good football at the same time.

“It’s one that we’ll manage and we’ll think what’s best for the team moving forward.”

Edited by Nate

If anyone is remotely connected to the club then tonight is must attend. 

I get those with individual circumstances can be excused, but everyone else should rock up. 

I'm pretty confident that we are at a level where we will win.

Not nervous at all, more so excited to witness another special night.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Fucking nervous! 

We all are mate. I know that I will be a total wreck if we're leading by just a goal and the clock shows just a few minutes to go.

Edited by jw1739

9 minutes ago, Nate said:

Based on Talay's comments regarding team selection, it seems as though Wellington won't be playing a full-strength XI. 

We really, really can't afford to fuck this up.

“For us it’s about getting some minutes into the legs of some of the players. It’s also an opportunity to see what players can do leading into our finals game.

“All the pressure is on them and not on us, so I think it’s a great opportunity for all of the boys to go out there and express themselves.

“I think it’s a great opportunity to go out there and play with a lot of freedom as well. We’ve achieved what we wanted to achieve by making the top six.”

Talay also plans to give some of his players the night off.

“We don’t have a lot of players to mix and match at the moment so we’ll have to pick and choose the ones that we believe need the rest and the ones that need game time.

“We’ll still put out a good team, go out there and try and get a result against Melbourne City and play some good football at the same time.

“It’s one that we’ll manage and we’ll think what’s best for the team moving forward.”

This is all just perfectly lining up to be a Heart-esque performance. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1