Melbourne Football

City vs Perth, HBF Park, Wednesday 4th May 9.05 pm AEST

kingofhearts

Last night was a shameful defeat, and just adds to what has been a fortnight of nightmares for City supporters. That's if there are many of them left.

The problems are bigger than Glover or Kisnorbo. 

I was going to try and persuade my wife to let us go on Monday. Now I won't bother. It will mean a whole season of no football, but it's just too painful to go.

No more words left.

• Thanks 3

Ok, I am still pissed off after last night ...

Hindsight can be a wonderful thing, but i do think that PK's approach was fraught with danger, and he took a big risk with his game plan.

So, his plan was to go with our strongest team, against a team of young kids and attack them vigorously early (helter skelter).  Now the risk with this was that our strongest team was going to run out of legs pretty quickly after an intense workload in Asia and a long plane flight, and we would be susceptible to the counter attack, and tiring badly.

Their 1st goal was born of some poor defending by Jamison and it was a 1 in 100 shot.

So then we had to chase, and had zero luck (a lot our own doing) ... JMac hitting both posts, Reddy making a blinder of a save ... but again, no legs and no luck and bunch of kids playing the game of their careers against us.

Glover's fuck up was expected, unfortunately Good who was out in his feet at the end now misses our most important match of the season thus far.

A different coach, knowing that a draw would still be a good result, would have maybe played some of our younger, less fatigued players, and set up not to concede, especially as we were basically playing a youth side.  Our class would have always made chances for us and we would have been less at risk of copping a sucker punch.  Also, the 1st team quality could have come off the bench in the last 15 minutes if needed.

I hope results go our way so our last game result doesn't matter.  I do think we will beat the Nix, if we have to win.  But fack me, it has been a painful season. 

The icing of the cake last night was having to put up with Paramount's shite streaming quality ... and those commentators!  ... and Georgevski at one point trying to work out how long to go in the match, I think at the 62nd minute and he came to the conclusion 18 minutes, before being corrected by the other commentator.  I think that was the highlight of the night for me.  What a freaking disaster.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Hindsight can be a wonderful thing, but i do think that PK's approach was fraught with danger, and he took a big risk with his game plan.

So, his plan was to go with our strongest team, against a team of young kids and attack them vigorously early (helter skelter).  Now the risk with this was that our strongest team was going to run out of legs pretty quickly after an intense workload in Asia and a long plane flight, and we would be susceptible to the counter attack, and tiring badly.

Their 1st goal was born of some poor defending by Jamison and it was a 1 in 100 shot.

So then we had to chase, and had zero luck (a lot our own doing) ... JMac hitting both posts, Reddy making a blinder of a save ... but again, no legs and no luck and bunch of kids playing the game of their careers against us.

Glover's fuck up was expected, unfortunately Good who was out in his feet at the end now misses our most important match of the season thus far.

A different coach, knowing that a draw would still be a good result, would have maybe played some of our younger, less fatigued players, and set up not to concede, especially as we were basically playing a youth side.  Our class would have always made chances for us and we would have been less at risk of copping a sucker punch.  Also, the 1st team quality could have come off the bench in the last 15 minutes if needed.

I hope results go our way so our last game result doesn't matter.  I do think we will beat the Nix, if we have to win.  But fack me, it has been a painful season. 

The icing of the cake last night was having to put up with Paramount's shite streaming quality ... and those commentators!  ... and Georgevski at one point trying to work out how long to go in the match, I think at the 62nd minute and he came to the conclusion 18 minutes, before being corrected by the other commentator.  I think that was the highlight of the night for me.  What a freaking disaster.

Totally agree. I think PK made the same mistake(s) in the ACL campaign. He just does not seem to be able to adjust his tactics. And the same team weaknesses were present as have been evident all season. The forwards snatching at half-chances instead of steadying and picking their spot. A very porous defence on the counter attack. And if you look at Reddy's save, the header was directed at the narrow side of the goal. And his use (or more often non-use) of substitutes is incomprehensible to me. We had a visa player on the bench for the entire match, and a designated player not even in the squad. Glover doesn't warrant any further discussion as far as I am concerned. IMO the main concern is that the soft underbelly in the club still persists, and that is not addressed by focussing on Glover and PK; I think it's deeper than that.

3 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

Kisnorbo has made this season a lot more difficult then it has had to be due to his poor visa signings.

With no frenchy due to injury, we are really lacking creativity in the midfield and are having to over rely on our wingers (mainly nabbout)to create chances for ourselves.  Nabbout has essentially played every game in the ACL and looked proppy as fuck everytime he stopped running last night. The guys spent because for the past two weeks in Asia;with no Leckie; he was the only one who coul create anything going forward due to his pace and skill. 

We've also had to consistently persist with tilio in midfield, even though he clearly is suited better to playing on the wing. Imagine if we had just one decent midfield visa to come off the bench, problem solved! Kisnorbo has fucked up the visa signings meaning that our starting 11 is great, but one injury and we're essentially fucked. Two injuries and things become dire. 

We're still in a great position but fmd, it's the little things like this ( also not signing a proper keeper) that come back to bite you in the ass. We're very lucky imo to be where we are as we have had a number of results go our way.

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, malloy said:

How many times does Jamo have to keep fucking up before Bos wins back a starting spot after he was inexplicably dropped.

This. At one point last night i thought to myself 'how many fukd up missed passes does this bloke want to hit?'.

Other thing that was soooo clear to me is just how big the impact is of losing Berenguer. Tilio is way to hit and miss and his attacking style is more 'selfish', where Berenguer just links it all up properly. Huge loss and bereft of ideas without him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Kisnorbo has made this season a lot more difficult then it has had to be due to his poor visa signings.

With no frenchy due to injury, we are really lacking creativity in the midfield and are having to over rely on our wingers (mainly nabbout)to create chances for ourselves.  Nabbout has essentially played every game in the ACL and looked proppy as fuck everytime he stopped running last night. The guys spent because for the past two weeks in Asia;with no Leckie; he was the only one who coul create anything going forward due to his pace and skill. 

We've also had to consistently persist with tilio in midfield, even though he clearly is suited better to playing on the wing. Imagine if we had just one decent midfield visa to come off the bench, problem solved! Kisnorbo has fucked up the visa signings meaning that our starting 11 is great, but one injury and we're essentially fucked. Two injuries and things become dire. 

We're still in a great position but fmd, it's the little things like this ( also not signing a proper keeper) that come back to bite you in the ass. We're very lucky imo to be where we are as we have had a number of results go our way.

There is a midfield visa, but he wasn't even on the bench last night...

46 minutes ago, rass said:

This. At one point last night i thought to myself 'how many fukd up missed passes does this bloke want to hit?'.

Other thing that was soooo clear to me is just how big the impact is of losing Berenguer. Tilio is way to hit and miss and his attacking style is more 'selfish', where Berenguer just links it all up properly. Huge loss and bereft of ideas without him.

Tilio is a winger, so wingers can adapt well to the CAM position others can't. Whikst I dont think he has done poorly there, he definitely hasn't excelled. I can't work out why Endoh isn't being played there. I understand Endoh isn't flashy, but as Luna proved, you don't need to be a flashy player to excel in the CAM role.

1 hour ago, malloy said:

How many times does Jamo have to keep fucking up before Bos wins back a starting spot after he was inexplicably dropped.

Patrick kisnorbo coaching 101: Players are picked on reputation not form ( see one M.Leckie)

There's a pretty strong rumour that he's going to retire at the end of this year going around, maybe that's playing into it as well? But fmd, Jordan Bos must be feeling pretty stiff. Played the best game of his career only to be benched the next game. This hurts even more considering Jamo has been average at best since coming back from injury.

2 hours ago, malloy said:

... I can't work out why Endoh isn't being played there. I understand Endoh isn't flashy, but as Luna proved, you don't need to be a flashy player to excel in the CAM role.

It's because PK is a fukstick. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mjake1234 said:

Right there is the reason I have finally pulled the plug on this tea. Cannot stand the frustration of the inconsistency. PK in particular was always a disaster waiting to happen and it has been unsurprising to see the gradual loss of competence in the team from what it was like when he took over.

Will continue to follow my local NPL side. Much more passion.

Your choice but I think that's a pretty poor reason. And I mean that specifically down to the reasons you mentioned. People all over the world support their club with frustration. Yet we're top of the table and one game away from a title defence. I would guess 90% of supporters around the world support a club that underperforms. 

My guess is its not the reasons you mentioned because they make no sense in the broader football landscape. Secondly since PK tool over weve won trophies. 

Maybe its about the club itself or fan engagement/connection etc. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, n i k o said:

Your choice but I think that's a pretty poor reason. And I mean that specifically down to the reasons you mentioned. People all over the world support their club with frustration. Yet we're top of the table and one game away from a title defence. I would guess 90% of supporters around the world support a club that underperforms. 

My guess is its not the reasons you mentioned because they make no sense in the broader football landscape. Secondly since PK tool over weve won trophies. 

Hmm. Probably 90% of people around the world support a club that rarely wins a competition (league or cup), and some clubs never have! That's not quite the same as underperforming. I tend to think that we underperform a bit too often, and I think that's the frustration being referred to by @mjake1234 and on top of all the other things that have happened to our club it's been too much for quite a few of the original supporters.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, n i k o said:

Sorry, but you read my frustration all wrong. I have supported clubs in my life who have never been world beaters or top of their league. Indeed my local NPL club is in the bottom half of the table. However what all of them had was passion, playing for the jersey, some predictability and the ability to sometimes produce the unexpected flash of brilliance. I have been supporting this club since its beginnings and can say I got a lot more pleasure in the Heart days. What I am now being served is frustration, exasperation, and no feeling of the passion and connection I used to get. MCFC is still "my club" but I will wait until they show more of what I desire in a club before I fully engage again.

15 hours ago, rass said:

I think when Berenguer is out we become exceptionally predictable as a team. Tilio and Nabbout are kind of the only other players that will run at a defence but they become somewhat predictable to defend too when we don't have the full backs overlapping to create the third option.
We badly miss Atkinson, and imo we'd be well placed to have either of Bos or Galloway starting at the moment.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, bt50 said:

I think when Berenguer is out we become exceptionally predictable as a team. Tilio and Nabbout are kind of the only other players that will run at a defence but they become somewhat predictable to defend too when we don't have the full backs overlapping to create the third option.
We badly miss Atkinson, and imo we'd be well placed to have either of Bos or Galloway starting at the moment.

Well said, that is exactly the problem at the moment - predictability, add to that JMAC is well out of form too to finish any of the opportunities we create.

I think where most of frustration comes from, that a club with our resources is unable to cope with Berenguer (who only really lifted this season) pulling a hamstring, which he pulled perhaps in the first place as there is nobody to cover for him and PK just kept playing him. Visas and designated players have been unable to step in.

To this date I still claim that Jenkinson was not right recruit for the money he's on. The tandem Atkinson / Nabbout was a whole different dynamic, defenders had to cover for both, creating a lot more space elsewhere on the pitch - now Nabbout is very often just 3 on 1.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Hmm. Probably 90% of people around the world support a club that rarely wins a competition (league or cup), and some clubs never have! That's not quite the same as underperforming. I tend to think that we underperform a bit too often, and I think that's the frustration being referred to by @mjake1234 and on top of all the other things that have happened to our club it's been too much for quite a few of the original supporters.

1 hour ago, mjake1234 said:

Sorry, but you read my frustration all wrong. I have supported clubs in my life who have never been world beaters or top of their league. Indeed my local NPL club is in the bottom half of the table. However what all of them had was passion, playing for the jersey, some predictability and the ability to sometimes produce the unexpected flash of brilliance. I have been supporting this club since its beginnings and can say I got a lot more pleasure in the Heart days. What I am now being served is frustration, exasperation, and no feeling of the passion and connection I used to get. MCFC is still "my club" but I will wait until they show more of what I desire in a club before I fully engage again.

I'm trying hard to understand.

Because we are still top of the table. Will we close it out on Monday, not sure. But to not support the team given the circumstance is a bit strange. We won the league last season. We're currently top of the table. Our first outing in Asia and we didn't lose a game. We retuned back and played in Perth the following day. I just feel we're so quick to get angry at the team and the club without any consideration to the positives and difficulties. 

I think jw you touch on something that I think is as close to the truth as can be and that is about what happened to the club with CFG taking over. It sounds silly mentioning but I understand this because I've been through many moments because City has not felt the same as Heart, regardless of results. So i think for many supporters, following Melbourne City was conditional, based on results/other performance factors. Therein lies a big issue. 

Mjake1234 you were a Heart supporter, so you would have been through the 'if win we win' stage, which was for most of Hearts existence. Yet we loved the club. For me there is no comparison in the level of effort and resilience to today's City and Hearts David Williams era. That's why I'm curious about your motive to continue to support the club. 

Please understand, I'm not grilling you out anything like that, but seeing as you posted it, it's an interesting talking point. 

34 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

My personal take.

Obviously we’ve significantly improved compared to Heart in terms of success. However, I can’t help to feel the way I do, there is just something missing, an emptiness.

The above from Niko and he’s not alone sums up exactly (IMO) what is lacking with the club and needs to be worked in order to grow. The somewhat mediocre Heart like attitude among our fans and even within the club is still well and truly around. 

Passion and excitement attracts fans, and drives engagement, more importantly passion goes hand in hand with ambition. Without ambition there is no passion.

We don’t have the luxury of being a neighbourhood club with a strong fan base and family foundations like in other parts of the world. No, this club will only grow by putting actual intend behind the so called ambitions and how these ambitions come across. Continuous ruthless succes without excuses year after year is our only way forward to form the basis for the next generation of fans.

Whilst some of the below statements might be factually correct, it just lacks ambitions and ruthlessness.

- Calling the ACL campaign a success, by not having lost a game but failed to progress with a once in a lifetime opportunity. “We are just unlucky”

- A tweet from the club listing excuses during the ACL campaign. 

- Consistently referring to the last season double, “we should be happy as it worked last season”. Even though last season circumstances were complete different.

- We’ve missed the marked completely with recruitment and salary cap management, yet we managed to find acceptance in all sort of excuses. We’ve wasted hundreds of thousands AUD this season.

Despite winning the league with a last game effort, I feel that this season we are just underperforming compared to the resources at our disposal.

Again all above is my personal opinion.

Sorry this should be in another thread. 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I will start a new thread in World Football. If I can, later today. And I'll move the relevant posts into the new thread and we can go from there.

I've got most of them across I think. It's not as easy as it should be. Apologies if I've missed something that you think is relevant. Please post again in the new thread if so!

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I've got most of them across I think. It's not as easy as it should be. Apologies if I've missed something that you think is relevant. Please post again in the new thread if so!

Most of the post where about Melbourne City, why did have to be moved? I just meant that they didn’t belong in the Perth Away thread.

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Most of the post where about Melbourne City, why did have to be moved? I just meant that they didn’t belong in the Perth Away thread.

I guess I can move them back if that's what folks want.