Melbourne Football

City vs Perth, HBF Park, Wednesday 4th May 9.05 pm AEST

kingofhearts

This could be the season right here gents.

The pessimist in me want to say we'll get a draw here, but there's no reason imo that we can't win here.

Predicting a smash and grab 1-0 win and us to be lifting up the plate at the end of the night!!!!

Edited by jw1739
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

This could be the season right here gents.

The pessimist in me want to say we'll get a draw here, but there's no reason imo that we can't win here.

Predicting a smash and grab 1-0 win and us to be lifting up the plate at the end of the night!!!!

If WU win against Newcastle and we beat Perth it will go down to the last game of the season. 

If WU draw or lose and we win then it's over on Wed night. 

If WU lose and we draw I believe it will be over as we would be 3 points up with one game to play. Even if we lost to Wellington and WU beat Adelaide we would win on goal difference? 

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

If WU win against Newcastle and we beat Perth it will go down to the last game of the season. 

If WU draw or lose and we win then it's over on Wed night. 

If WU lose and we draw I believe it will be over as we would be 3 points up with one game to play. Even if we lost to Wellington and WU beat Adelaide we would win on goal difference? 

From here, MV can finish on 48, Western on 50.

We have 46, and can finish on 52.

Forget what the others are doing - we need to win on Wednesday. Otherwise we're quite capable of fucking it all up again.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

From here, MV can finish on 48, Western on 50.

We have 46, and can finish on 52.

Forget what the others are doing - we need to win on Wednesday. Otherwise we're quite capable of fucking it all up again.

Yes a win Wednesday just about seals the deal not relying on other results. 

Definitely need to play best available 11 and get the 3 points Wednesday night! 

• jw1739 changed the title to City vs Perth, HBF Park, Wednesday 4th May 9.05 pm AEST
1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Newcastle host Western earlier in the evening. Going to be a tense evening! We really need the 3 points.

A Newcastle win or draw will mean that we require just 2 points to claim the Plate. 
WU big chance of dropping points tonight i reckon, pressure is squarely on them, and are backing that up with the disappointment of falling over v the Mariners.

PS if anyone says mathematically that we need three they can go jump; no one is making up 9-12 in GD in one and half fixtures.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Yeah exactly. 1st vs last. Perth have been woeful this season...they are close to equalising our winless streak from the Heart days. 

I can't help but have a little bit of a bad feeling about tonight to be honest. We always struggle in Perth, we've probably got them at the worst possible time with players returning from injury and many of them genuinely are playing for their careers, and even this season we haven't found them easy to beat.

In saying that, they are dogshit, we have everything to play for, and I suspect we'll attack this game with a decent squad and some real fire in the belly after a frustrating weekend in Thailand so we should get it done.

Worth noting that whilst we want three points absolutely to minimise the pressure on Monday, a point is still keeping us on track for the Plate and it won't be a chicken little result.
Also worth mentioning that we equal our record points haul from last season with a win.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I can't help but have a little bit of a bad feeling about tonight to be honest. We always struggle in Perth, we've probably got them at the worst possible time with players returning from injury and many of them genuinely are playing for their careers, and even this season we haven't found them easy to beat.

In saying that, they are dogshit, we have everything to play for, and I suspect we'll attack this game with a decent squad and some real fire in the belly after a frustrating weekend in Thailand so we should get it done.

Worth noting that whilst we want three points absolutely to minimise the pressure on Monday, a point is still keeping us on track for the Plate and it won't be a chicken little result.
Also worth mentioning that we equal our record points haul from last season with a win.

Yes I too feel a little nervous away to Perth probably more based on our bad history with results there. On the flip side as you have mentioned we should beat them for multiple reasons. Also from what I have read we flew straight from Bangkok to Perth which should definitely help with the increased rest and re-acclimatisation of the players. Plus we should have a near full strength lineup available as well. 

Ideally we should be winning but I would hesitantly take a draw if WU slip up against Newcastle...

• Like 1

Rarely have we done anything the easy way. It's not in our club DNA. Perhaps our best was winning the GF last season by 3-1. Clearly the stats show that we're the best team in the League this season, but while it's still arithmetically possible for any of the top three teams to win the Plate, that's the reality. 

It's football isn't it? Two matches tonight that could be so decisive in setting the scene for the final matches for the three Melbourne clubs. If you tried to set up a nail-biting finish to the season you couldn't have done it better.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Rarely have we done anything the easy way. It's not in our club DNA. Perhaps our best was winning the GF last season by 3-1. Clearly the stats show that we're the best team in the League this season, but while it's still arithmetically possible for any of the top three teams to win the Plate, that's the reality. 

It's football isn't it? Two matches tonight that could be so decisive in setting the scene for the final matches for the three Melbourne clubs. If you tried to set up a nail-biting finish to the season you couldn't have done it better.

Hahaha too true regarding we never do it the easy way! Hence why we are down to the final 2 rounds and still haven't wrapped it up yet when in theory we should have secured it 2 or 3 rounds ago. But hey that's just City for you...

As for the league in general and perhaps the neutrals it is by far one of if not the most competitive end to a season to date. Good for the league in that regard, nervous for the supporters...

Tonight should not be smash and grab. We should take our time, constantly pass the ball backwards and do it slowly. This will allow time for them to set up their defence against us. It worked well in the ACL and it will work tremendously well in the A-League tonight. It’s not like we are playing for the Premiers Plate. 

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Deluka said:

Big BIG night potentially - what a homecoming against Wellington that would be! Come on you Jets & City boys!

Let’s hope Wellington have nothing to play for by then. They can seal their spot in the top 6 against WSW.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think this one will go our way.

WU has looked liked the most likely team to score.

Pressure back on us if it remains like this.

I wonder if Leckie will be part of the squad or has PK completely fucked him to have no more meaningful contributions this season.

image.thumb.png.85b0575532343183ab6318e07b582653.png

3 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

WU has looked liked the most likely team to score.

Pressure back on us if it remains like this.

I wonder if Leckie will be part of the squad or has PK completely fucked him to have no more meaningful contributions this season.

I’ve answered my own question about Leckie.

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

Pretty confident after seeing the line ups tbh. 

Probably the strongest or at least the most experienced we can play.

Just now, mattyh001 said:

thats why i find it interesting.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm rather ambivalent about this sort of thing. Best to leave it IMO and discuss in Australian football - if we see the need to?

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm rather ambivalent about this sort of thing. Best to leave it IMO and discuss in Australian football - if we see the need to?

wasnt meaning (and dont want) to.  

is it just me or does any else not care if Newcastle win or draw - they just need to get a result?