Melbourne Football

ACL Group G, Match 6. United City v. City, Saturday 30th April 24.00 AEST

jw1739

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

If we do not progress the blame will solely lie on kisnorbos shoulders. His shit tactics and man management has cost us big time

Well you are missing  most of your high earners this ACL campaign in Leckie, Berenguer and a designated player. All three are not playing due to PKs incompetence.

O’neill is a big miss, which was just unlucky.

Edited by Mr MO

13 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Still unbeaten, do we deserve to go through? 

If the AFC didn't decide on 10 groups and this ridiculous 'best of the rest' crap then yes we would have qualified fine. Bit of a mickey mouse competition in it's current form. I'm more concerned with the A League season than the ACL at this point in time 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

If the AFC didn't decide on 10 groups and this ridiculous 'best of the rest' crap then yes we would have qualified fine. Bit of a mickey mouse competition in it's current form. I'm more concerned with the A League season than the ACL at this point in time 

The rules are the rules for everyone, not just us. We need to take this competition seriously, otherwise there is no point in taking part in the first place. The A-League in reality is a shitty little competition, and Australian clubs' results in the ACL, in general, demonstrate how poor it is.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The rules are the rules for everyone, not just us. We need to take this competition seriously, otherwise there is no point in taking part in the first place. The A-League in reality is a shitty little competition, and Australian clubs' results in the ACL, in general, demonstrate how poor it is.

Elsewhere you have mentioned that City's goal keeping coaching is underwhelming. This is a club issue. However I would extend it and say that the bigger issue is having better coaching across the league. Our better players head off to better paying competitions so we will always be a feeder competition until we match the salaries that players can get playing in Asia. Otherwise I don't think that we are as bad as you make it out to be.

• Like 1

Well, we'll have to wait for @bt50to crunch the numbers and see where we sit in the "best of the rest." Prima face however it looks as though we will be stripped of 6 points and 6 goals, leaving us on 6 points and a GD of 4-3, which I fear will not be enough...?

If we don't qualify IMO that will be a big disappointment for the club's fans.

11 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

From what I understand we need vissel Kobe to win tonight so we progress?

Kitchee already have 6 points, so yes, even if they manage a draw they will have more points than we do. But I haven't checked all the Eastern Zone groups to see the others.

Melbourne City collected the three points but fell short of the five-goal margin that would have secured their place in the AFC Champions League™ knockout stage, winning 3-0 over last-placed United City as Group G concluded on Saturday.
The A-League side took their points tally to 12 thanks to goals from Raphael Borges Rodrigues, Jamie Maclaren, and Marco Tilio, but they must now wait for tomorrow’s results to see if they will advance as one of the top three runners-up in the East Zone, while Thailand’s BG Pathum United were confirmed as group winners on goal difference.

The number five was on everyone’s lips before kick-off, with BG Pathum United’s scoreless draw against Jeonnam Dragons giving Melbourne City the opportunity to win the group with a victory by five or more goals against Group G’s bottom placed side.

54 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Kitchee already have 6 points, so yes, even if they manage a draw they will have more points than we do. But I haven't checked all the Eastern Zone groups to see the others.

It seems that Vissel and Kitchee can just settle for a draw for both teams to progress?

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

It seems that Vissel and Kitchee can just settle for a draw for both teams to progress?

They could but I don't think Vissel will want to. Well at least would like to think they will go out to win it. Statistically they were all over Kitchee in their last meeting which ended up 2-1 winners. Eh I'm really not fazed if we don't make it, we should not have been in this position in the first place relying on other results to qualify...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

They could but I don't think Vissel will want to. Well at least would like to think they will go out to win it. Statistically they were all over Kitchee in their last meeting which ended up 2-1 winners. Eh I'm really not fazed if we don't make it, we should not have been in this position in the first place relying on other results to qualify...

Agreed. Whether or not we do progress I just hope that the club learns from this.

• Like 1

Everyone is correct in that we need Vissel to defeat Kitchee to progress.

Johor Darul Ta'zim await if we get through.

8 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Well Vissel are already through no matter what so there's no motivation for them to do that. Just need to bank on the fact theyre clearly better than Kitchee and hope thats enough.

I just watched the game.

I thought Macca when he had his first chance and was called offside was kept on by their leftback, it looked like it to me.

Kisnorbo should have more faith in his players, because as a second string team that some have played barely any football, I thought they did well.

Bos is looking like he could have some potential, I really like the look of him.

The team had to much to do in the final game, if Glover could actually keep, it probably would have made the difference.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, moops said:

Kisnorbo should have more faith in his players, because as a second string team that some have played barely any football, I thought they did well.

This  ... Kisnorbo is a fool.  We should have seen squad rotations all year.  We should know the full potential of all the team, as it is a squad game, and clearly we got talent throughout the whole squad.  Inexcusably poor, and has 100% cost us points, player injuries and stifled the development of some really promising players ... however, critics may say we are still odds on to win the plate!  But in reality we should have locked it down 3 games ago, and we should be able to enjoy our team's successes and strengths, not suffer through this obvious mismanagement, which casts a negative light over our team

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3