Melbourne Football

ACL group stage game 2. City v. United City, Monday 18th 24.00 AEST

jw1739

33 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Yeah we were all over them and created numerous chances! Tilio realistically could have had a hattrick if the goal keeper didn't get a hand on it to force the ball onto the upright. Cola nearly had a double but Bos was offside...we were a lot better than they were and the score showed it!

Yeah it was a complete domination. From memory it was like 26 shots to 2 or something, 64% possession. Easily could have scored 5 or 6. 

But in the end, we played the younger players who haven't had as much game time and whilst we may have scored more with our socceroos front 3, long term it's much better to get minutes into these players and give Nabbout and Leckie a rest. Gonna need everyone fully fit and ready to go to see out the remaining fixtures. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, K-aram92 said:

Yeah it was a complete domination. From memory it was like 26 shots to 2 or something, 64% possession. Easily could have scored 5 or 6. 

But in the end, we played the younger players who haven't had as much game time and whilst we may have scored more with our socceroos front 3, long term it's much better to get minutes into these players and give Nabbout and Leckie a rest. Gonna need everyone fully fit and ready to go to see out the remaining fixtures. 

I'm not convinced it could even be that low tbh, we absolutely bossed the whole game. 

There was legitimately a 3 minute period late in the second half where we didn't once concede the ball, it was glorious (even if it was sub-NPL opposition)

18 hours ago, Dezy94 said:

Expert finish from Cola, nice long cross field ball from Griffiths. Maybe im wrong but the rest of the players didn't seem to enthusiastic about the goal. Asian Champions League, get hyped!

Yes, on looking at the goal a couple of times now, that apparent lack of goal celebration doesn't strike the right chord with me. Australia asked to cross to membership of the AFC and so we so we ought to be taking AFC competitions seriously, both country and club. 

• Like 1

Finally got a chance to watch the game. First thought was that the starting line up consisted of 6 youth players with the eldest being Tilio. Secondly, that Endoh started the game. Third that only three regular players were in the starting line up - Jamieson, Reis and Glover. Overall I thought that they did a good job. Some of the issues arise from not having regular game time but that is down to the coaching team.

I thought that Cola was good, presented, made space, defended. The only blotches were that sometimes he was not in the right position but that comes down to familiarity with the teammates. Stokes baffles me somewhat - he only created one attacking move otherwise he just kept passing the ball back (doesn't he realise that at the back is Glover?), now most of the time he was justified because there was nothing up forward but I wonder whether that is his natural style of game. Contrast with Bos who regularly makes forward forays. Bos was good. Raphael needs to expunge his Brazilian mindset and realise that other players are good as well.

Endoh improved in the second half and he would benefit from having more game time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Finally got a chance to watch the game. First thought was that the starting line up consisted of 6 youth players with the eldest being Tilio. Secondly, that Endoh started the game. Third that only three regular players were in the starting line up - Jamieson, Reis and Glover. Overall I thought that they did a good job. Some of the issues arise from not having regular game time but that is down to the coaching team.

I thought that Cola was good, presented, made space, defended. The only blotches were that sometimes he was not in the right position but that comes down to familiarity with the teammates. Stokes baffles me somewhat - he only created one attacking move otherwise he just kept passing the ball back (doesn't he realise that at the back is Glover?), now most of the time he was justified because there was nothing up forward but I wonder whether that is his natural style of game. Contrast with Bos who regularly makes forward forays. Bos was good. Raphael needs to expunge his Brazilian mindset and realise that other players are good as well.

Endoh improved in the second half and he would benefit from having more game time.

Cola has had a mere 333 minutes in the A-League this season. Endoh has had 56. Pucciarelli 14. Is it any wonder that they look rusty coming on in the ACL?

Fringe/reserve players, what ever you call them, need a proper competition to play in during the A-League season. And it ain't going to be NPL3.

Edited by jw1739

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Cola has had a mere 333 minutes in the A-League this season. Endoh has had 56. Pucciarelli 14. Is it any wonder that they look rusty coming on in the ACL?

Fringe/reserve players, what ever you call them, need a proper competition to play in during the A-League season. And it ain't going to be NPL3.

They could have had more if PK chooses to rotate players. Might even reduce soft tissue injuries.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

They could have had more if PK chooses to rotate players. Might even reduce soft tissue injuries.

Berenguer against Victory and Leckie in the last ACL game are examples of not managing your players properly. 

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 3