Melbourne Football

ACL group stage game 2. City v. United City, Monday 18th 24.00 AEST

jw1739

Go for it lads. Injuries, match squad selection, PK, tactics...

IMO need to win this one by a few goals to lead the Group at an early stage. Only the Group winner automatically goes on to the next stage of the competition. All to play for now.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Go for it lads. Injuries, match squad selection, PK, tactics...

IMO need to win this one be a few goals to lead the Group at an early stage. Only the Group winner automatically goes on to the next stage of the competition. All to play for now.

According to wikipedia the second place is a "possible round of 16 spot" Gee we really do need a decent win here! Hopefully Leckie and Nabbout are not badly injured as we need them for this game. Metcalfe may be available for selection depending what Thailand covid iso rules are... It will be slightly cooler on Tuesday in Bangkok and more so with the 9pm Thai time kick-off. Still need to make at least 4 subs with the conditions and short turnarounds between games.

Edited by MHFC-FAN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

According to wikipedia the second place is a "possible round of 16 spot" Gee we really do need a decent win here! Hopefully Leckie and Nabbout are not badly injured as we need them for this game. Metcalfe may be available for selection depending what Thailand covid iso rules are... It will be slightly cooler on Tuesday in Bangkok and more so with the 9pm Thai time kick-off. Still need to make at least 4 subs with the conditions and short turnarounds between games.

Yes, Livescore has "possible qualification for the nest stage." Same thing. So the best several second placers go though - how many and how that's determined I'm not sure, but the sure way of progressing is to win the Group.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Yes, Livescore has "possible qualification for the nest stage." Same thing. So the best several second placers go though - how many and how that's determined I'm not sure, but the sure way of progressing is to win the Group.

Yes that makes a lot of sense 🤣

Reflecting back to our first game obviously we needed a win, but we need to remember that BG Pathum are probably the best team in the group, and playing at home.

Our midfield needs to be sorted in this one if we have any chance. The 3 that started IMO don't work. Tillio at 10, playing the Berenguer role, for me doesn't work. Gomulka playing the Metcalfe role just didn't provide enough. He needs to play the Oneil role. Griffiths also was below what Oneil has given us.

I'm thinking we need to experiment, I'm thinking we should play the young boy Valadon again in the Oneil role. He was tidy and looked like he could hit a pass. Obviously it's completely different starting with responsibility of protecting back 4 and looking for the first out ball. If he can control we might see less long diagnals which was too predictable. 

Then depending on Metcalfe, but im assuming he will miss, play Gomulka, I think he’s decent and should be given another game.

Then I'd play Endoh,  the few minutes he's played he has been okay, nothing special,  but not poor. 

Most of our discussion has revolved around Pucciarelli and I'm with PK I don't think he can play. 

That cup game vs Nix he was poor.  Okay very small sample and grossly unfair,  but still he was bang average. 

We are playing the weakest team, and should batter them, whats important is sorting out shit out for the next few games.

PK needs to get this one right. Experiment, yes, but as well as three points we need goals to make sure that at the very least we're going to be one of the six "best of the rest" qualifiers. If we experiment but don't score 3-4 than the pressure will be really on us. He's got to get his subs spot on.

14 hours ago, Jovan said:

M ost of our discussion has revolved around Pucciarelli and I'm with PK I don't think he can play. 

That cup game vs Nix he was poor.  Okay very small sample and grossly unfair,  but still he was bang average. 

We are playing the weakest team, and should batter them, whats important is sorting out shit out for the next few games.

I'm not wanting to derail another thread talking about the Italian, but we gave half a season to Leckie to get back into form, why hasn't Pucci at least been given 5-6 games to see his worth? It's just a clear double standard imo, and if he wasn't good enough when he got here, he should've had his contract paid out/ripped out. I'm just dissapointed that the scouting team and upper management gave him such a lengthy deal, and yet clearly the coaching staff don't rate him. It's just a bizzare situation.

But onto the game, hopefully Metcalfe is back and we can put him in the midfield, otherwise we're going to have to heavily rely on Leckie and nabbout again. J-mac really needs to pull his finger out this game too.

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

I'm not wanting to derail another thread talking about the Italian, but we gave half a season to Leckie to get back into form, why hasn't Pucci at least been given 5-6 games to see his worth? It's just a clear double standard imo, and if he wasn't good enough when he got here, he should've had his contract paid out/ripped out. I'm just dissapointed that the scouting team and upper management gave him such a lengthy deal, and yet clearly we don't rate him. It's just a bizzare situation.

But onto the game, hopefully Metcalfe is back and we can put him in the midfield, otherwise we're going to have to heavily rely on Leckie and nabbout again. J-mac really needs to pull his finger out this game too.

I'd rather follow the Jovan line. We know what Metcalfe can do, but put him on the bench in case a new formation is a miserable failure. Otherwise we never really see the bench guys until the match is all but over. Generally, forwards need at least 20 minutes on the field to get the rhythm of the game. Just relying on the same starting line-up every single match is why our subs are not match-ready.

Easy when you're at a keyboard on a wet day...

7 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Is Metcalfe out of quarantine then?

No idea. Earlier today I could find no update on any of our players. Can't find on "Smart Traveller" what the quarantine arrangements are in Thailand.

Club HQ will be on holiday.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Interesting that this 10,000 seater stadium cost just 200,000,000 baht - the equivalent of just over A$8m.

Not really comparable when you consider the cost of labor and materials in Thailand. The workers potentially would have been Burmese migrants earning 100 baht a day. 3-4 Aud 😕

35 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Not really comparable when you consider the cost of labor and materials in Thailand. The workers potentially would have been Burmese migrants earning 100 baht a day. 3-4 Aud 😕

Of course not, But it just shows how overseas footballers and spectators can enjoy a new stadium at a manageable cost. 

Despite this, the crowd for the first match looked pretty thin although I haven't seen an attendance figure.

29 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Of course not, But it just shows how overseas footballers and spectators can enjoy a new stadium at a manageable cost. 

Despite this, the crowd for the first match looked pretty thin although I haven't seen an attendance figure.

Yeah definitely a decent sized stadium built for 1/10th the price of Aus. 

Midweek ACL is probably not a huge draw card for most Thais. It's not exactly a country with hard-core spectator numbers anyway. Plus I believe many of the stadiums are mostly drive to as opposed to public transport accessible. 

13 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Yeah definitely a decent sized stadium built for 1/10th the price of Aus. 

Midweek ACL is probably not a huge draw card for most Thais. It's not exactly a country with hard-core spectator numbers anyway. Plus I believe many of the stadiums are mostly drive to as opposed to public transport accessible. 

I also think they had a covid capacity restriction in place still.

The players that to me really need to have a big game are Cola, Endoh and Stokes. 

We know Cola has what it takes to fill in for the star forwards as he did last season in the finals. He needs to bring that tonight. Endoh we have seen so little of him but fingers crossed he steadies the midfield and allows us to avoid those diagonals all the time. Stokes I'm yet to ever really feel comfortable with him in the side, so I just hope he doesn't do anything stupid 

Excellent!

Was hoping for a JMAC goal to get his confidence back up. Think that’s why PK gave him some game time.

Well done to PK with the rotations.

That Leckie wasn’t in the extended squad might be a concern.

Edited by Mr MO

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Guess it depends who was with you...

Anyway, 3 minutes of highlights on the club website. We missed a couple of gettable ones. And Griff gave Glover a real mouthful after the latter's mandatory fuck-up.

Paramount has full replay, and 10 minute highlights. 

Did the highlights,  looked like big difference in levels, and should have been 5 or 6.

Goung to watch full replay tonight, just for full context.

20 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Paramount has full replay, and 10 minute highlights. 

Did the highlights,  looked like big difference in levels, and should have been 5 or 6.

Goung to watch full replay tonight, just for full context.

Yeah we were all over them and created numerous chances! Tilio realistically could have had a hattrick if the goal keeper didn't get a hand on it to force the ball onto the upright. Cola nearly had a double but Bos was offside...we were a lot better than they were and the score showed it!

• Like 1