Melbourne Football

ACL group stage game 1. BG Pathum United vs City Friday 15th 9:00pm

MHFC-FAN

5 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

They're a mid tier second division side. I think we should wallop them. 

They are in the Korean second tier. Standard of football much higher in Korea than Thailand. Still think they will be our toughest opponents. With half our team crocked, climate and our dodgy keeper, I worry for us.

24 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Then we'd have had a 6 and two 10s. Not sure I'd be quite that bold...

Yes just how we always play, a DM and 2 forward facing midfielders, one left and one right. People think we play with a 10, are deceived by the fact that only one of those midfielders is used in the press.

Saying that I didn’t mind Valadon and I guess I’m more frustrated with our poor recruitment.

But I think you touched on how bad we’ve recruited with Pucci and Endoh - PK has recruited players who aren’t deemed fit or good enough for any of the two midfielder roles. 

I still giggle when we used to think that we were going to get gun visa and marquee players once we qualified for the ACL.

Edited by Mr MO

That was a good result for us against a good team.

We struggled with the ball movement and their control close to the box but created plenty of our own chances and with a little luck, could have won the match.

One mistake from Glover = one goal

Gomulka looked at home there, next season it gives us an option for good 2DMs in games

Maclaren, as usual, looked far less effective away from the A-League, although to be fair to him, he didn't get great service and this is where we missed Flo

Jamieson looked cooked by half-time, we should have started Bos early in the second half.

Hopefully, Leckie is OK

I think in reality a draw is not a bad start with the heat and lack of midfield, i mean we gave someone a debut in the ACL before he has even played in the a-league which shows how little depth we have right now, if Leckie is out we are in trouble but hopefully Metcalfe is back for the next game but in reality we should be beating United City fairly comfortably  

We are in one of the weakest groups of the ACL.

For me it’s quite obvious what needs to change long term for Australian teams to be successful in Asia on a more permanent basis. It just comes down to money.

But JMAC is our highest paid player and with all the respect to JMAC, provided that most money goes our best players you can see why we are behind in Asia. You don’t need go to far to find the quality of the some high earners in this competition, in the better teams that is.

And of course teamwork can do wonders as well but that is difficult to permanently do that.

Edited by Mr MO

13 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

I have the similar sentiment about this young future player debut. It just makes me very much disinterested in following the club at the moment.  This is a way too much amateurish for the professional outlet. 

who else were we meant to bring on though? People asking why endoh or pucci were not brought on and the reason was they cannot play the role metcalfe or gomulka play and valadon was the best suited option. Pucci 100% was a waste of money by the club but endoh has been brought in purely to have more depth going into the ACL.

16 minutes ago, Zanty said:

who else were we meant to bring on though? People asking why endoh or pucci were not brought on and the reason was they cannot play the role metcalfe or gomulka play and valadon was the best suited option. Pucci 100% was a waste of money by the club but endoh has been brought in purely to have more depth going into the ACL.

Didn’t Tilio come off?

6 hours ago, Zanty said:

Valadon was the first substitution made and replaced Griffiths in the 65th minute. Jamo came off at the same time and was replaced by Bos. Tilio was not replaced until the 83rd and was replaced by Cola. We had Stokes and Hall on the bench too.

There's no point in having "depth" if you don't jump in. If we are developing players, or buying players, who can play in ONLY one position and are totally incompetent in any other, then we're not running a football club properly. Sure, players develop preferences for position and style of play, but substitution does not allow direct replacement of all 11 starting players, and a manager, when faced with making same, has got to be prepared for shuffling the players on the park when he does so. Absolutely nothing against Valadon at all, but bring a guy direct from NPL3 to the ACL is like bringing a player out of the National League and plonking them in the EPL.

I don't think anyone would be making the comments about the replacements in the ACL match unless they didn't have a history to look at of PK's selections and substitutions this season. This history makes it look like he is deliberately not playing certain players, much like Warren Joyce with Kilkenny and Fornaroli.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Valadon was the first substitution made and replaced Griffiths in the 65th minute. Jamo came off at the same time and was replaced by Bos. Tilio was not replaced until the 83rd and was replaced by Cola. We had Stokes and Hall on the bench too.

There's no point in having "depth" if you don't jump in. If we are developing players, or buying players, who can play in ONLY one position and are totally incompetent in any other, then we're not running a football club properly. Sure, players develop preferences for position and style of play, but substitution does not allow direct replacement of all 11 starting players, and a manager, when faced with making same, has got to be prepared for shuffling the players on the park when he does so. Absolutely nothing against Valadon at all, but bring a guy direct from NPL3 to the ACL is like bringing a player out of the National League and plonking them in the EPL.

I don't think anyone would be making the comments about the replacements in the ACL match unless they didn't have a history to look at of PK's selections and substitutions this season. This history makes it look like he is deliberately not playing certain players, much like Warren Joyce with Kilkenny and Fornaroli.

Football debate is funny. On one hand we are worried about our deflated squad and on the other hand we are looking for excuses for poor recruitment or personal choices by PK.  Whilst in reality the latter is the solution for the first.

Edited by Mr MO

If you want to watch the highlights again, here they are:

https://melbournecityfc.com.au/videos/id/highlights-bg-pathum-united-1-1-city/6304074963001

Awful mistake by Glover - didn't come for the ball. Jmac should have won it at the end. BGP are pretty neat around the box - no pushover and had a couple of chances of their own that they should really have put away.

• Like 1

On 15/04/2022 at 10:59 PM, NewConvert said:

I wonder whether their goal keeper is available. Managed to get a glove on the ball forcing Macca to chase the ball and have a speculative shot.

As a signing you mean? Of course he is. A chance to play for Melbourne City and get a foot in the door of CFG - he'd jump at it.

I'm surprised that we do not make regular raids into the Asia transfer market. Start with a loan and see what happens. Uncut jewels and all that.

Safuwan, where are you..?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

As a signing you mean? Of course he is. A chance to play for Melbourne City and get a foot in the door of CFG - he'd jump at it.

I'm surprised that we do not make regular raids into the Asia transfer market. Start with a loan and see what happens. Uncut jewels and all that.

Safuwan, where are you..?

There was a time when MV were regularly getting Thai players in... Why we've barely touched Asia I have no idea. Surely could find some very handy players from Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines etc