Melbourne Football

ACL group stage game 1. BG Pathum United vs City Friday 15th 9:00pm

MHFC-FAN

Only a couple more sleeps to our first ever ACL hit out. We'll be playing 9pm AEDT and the game is being played in Leo Stadium in Bangkok. 

Pathum United won the Thai premier league last season and they are about to finish second this season. Believe they will likely be the strongest competitors in the group but I think we can beat them. 

Hoping for a win first out. 

• Like 3

A little more info on Pathum United. They play a 4-2-3-1 formation and they typically play 3 visa players in the starting 11. Singaporean Fandi in defence, Brazilian Diogo (scored 9 goals and 2 assists) as winger and another Singaporean Ikshan as lone striker. Yet their leading goalscorer is their Thai forward Kanitsribampen with 10 goals and 6 assists. 

2 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

It's really impossible to predict anything without seeing the opponent first.  They are the host. Based on Socceroos struggle in away matches,  there are lots of uncertainty. Go City!

And they're playing on their home ground, in front of their own fans, and of course acclimatised. We've got injuries and a COVID cloud hanging over us. Everything in their favour. But when the going gets tough the tough get going. So we can do it. Heads held high, play for the colours, the club, the supporters back home. City for ever!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

And they're playing on their home ground, in front of their own fans, and of course acclimatised. We've got injuries and a COVID cloud hanging over us. Everything in their favour. But when the going gets tough the tough get going. So we can do it. Heads held high, play for the colours, the club, the supporters back home. City for ever!

I reckon the main advantage they have is playing is playing in front of their home fans and being used to the conditions. Otherwise I believe we will have them covered on the pitch... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, haz said:

Game Day! Historic game for the club, hopefully it's memorable. 

(Also anyone know where I can download ics calendar files for our ACL games?) 

Anyone else watch the PK/Jamo presser? I watched a bit. Jamo seemed his usual self but PK wasn't very, shall we say, positive?

As per @Jovan in the "Player Injuries" thread I hope he's thought this through and has prepared contingencies for the climate and for injuries and is willing to be more flexible in his approach.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

A 6.00 p.m. KO seems to be a bit unnecessary doesn't it? Really loading the dice in BGP's favour. Why not 8.00 pm?

Aren’t we playing at 9:00pm?

Edit: never mind, you are talking local times.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Anyone else watch the PK/Jamo presser? I watched a bit. Jamo seemed his usual self but PK wasn't very, shall we say, positive?

As per @Jovan in the "Player Injuries" thread I hope he's thought this through and has prepared contingencies for the climate and for injuries and is willing to be more flexible in his approach.

You'd get a better response from a hungry goat than PK.

All the matches in Group G are being played at this stadium, with kick-offs at 6.00 pm or 9.00 pm local time. We've copped the early KO for our first match, so it's "in at the deep end." I really would be comfortable if we could come out of this with a draw. We're going to have to be sharp at the back - absolutely no fuck-ups tonight. I reckon they'll try to get ahead early and then make us chase the ball.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

All the matches in Group G are being played at this stadium, with kick-offs at 6.00 pm or 9.00 pm local time. We've copped the early KO for our first match, so it's "in at the deep end." I really would be comfortable if we could come out of this with a draw. We're going to have to be sharp at the back - absolutely no fuck-ups tonight. I reckon they'll try to get ahead early and then make us chase the ball.

Yeah we're definitely playing in the peak heat at 6pm. They will be well conditioned to cope with the climate and the Thai players are generally fairly agile/fast so it will be a challenge. Ideally a win would be great but a draw bare minimum given we may be contending with these guys to get through the group... 

If we are going to get results and get out of this group then we need to be sound defensively. Starting with Glover. IMO our progression lies in his hands (pun intended).

So far this season he hasn't been consistent enough, and this is compared to his best, late last season. Just as he has a howler in his locker he also has great games.

In front of him we need Reis and Good available every game. Although Jamo was shit in the Derby and arguably responsible for our shitness, he is so important to how we play. Bos has been a revelation but an in form Jamo makes us so solid. Jenkinson has been serviceable and probably will need to be at his best every game, but playing an undercooked Galloway would be recipe for disaster. 

So for me these 5 blokes need to be at their best every game every minute for us to get out of the group, and you know what, I reackon they will be. 

I'm fully confident tonight will be something we will look back on and remember, 

(Hopefully for the right reasons)

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 1

Everyone needs to keep their heads too. Especially Jamo because he's prone to mouth off at the ref. Also we need to watch our tackling because BG Pathum will be milking everything they can squeeze out the the ref.

BTW, do we know who will be reffing? Is there VAR in the ACL?

Edited by jw1739

Are we sure on the KO time? Jamo is quoted as saying that "we are waiting for 9 o'clock." He would surely be quoting local time, not AEST?

Club tweet.

image.png.81e0e6f285424666b693490694c6935d.png

But here it says 9.00 pm AEST https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/acl-champions-league-group-stage-fixture-confirmed.

I'm confused even if no-one else is...

Edited by jw1739

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Are we sure on the KO time? Jamo is quoted as saying that "we are waiting for 9 o'clock." He would surely be quoting local time, not AEST?

Club tweet.

image.png.81e0e6f285424666b693490694c6935d.png

But here it says 9.00 pm AEST https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/acl-champions-league-group-stage-fixture-confirmed.

I'm confused even if no-one else is...

Definitely 9PM our time.

Edited by malloy

2 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Be good to know what time coverage starts. 1/2hour b4 kick off and I'm watching a Paramount icon bounce around the screen.  Is it on 10 play as well?

Do you expect anything less from paramount? I'm totally expecting them to show the Shandon vs Daegu game instead of ours...