Melbourne Football

The race to the plate

MHFC-FAN

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Assuming we don't blow our goal difference that is.

Realistically, that won't happen. To finish on equal points with Adelaide, they'd need to win all their games and we'd have to win one, lose one and draw two. So the scenario would be something like we win by one goal, get beaten by four (dropping us to +20 GD) and then Adelaide has to win all three games by 3+ goals.

There's other scenarios where we could theoretically finish on equal points with Adelaide (e.g. the go 1-1-1 and we lose all four remaining games) but I find it hard to see any where they'd realistically make up the goal difference. Adelaide's best chance is finishing on more points, but I think we'll do enough from here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

We can afford a draw against Wellington at home, as all we have to do is match Adelaide for points now...but if we win then that's pretty much the plate done and dusted!

With the way Adelaide have caught up to us recently i don't feel comfortable being complacent with a draw. Ccm away. United away. Wsw home. Two of those teams are playing very well. Because if we can afford a draw against Wellington then which of those remaining games is our must win? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

I said a while back 48 points will win the League and I'm pretty confident that will be.

i think that's a very fair call

Western United are still within a shout of finals, so every game now is a granny.  and of course, they play Adelaide next week. 

so before people go jumping up and down, all i'd suggest for forum users is remember to take this one game at a time.  that applies to us (who have been poor of late) as much as everyone else

also, we are the team with the points / the runs on the board.  with all teams still with a shout of finals (even if it is a stretch for the tards), each game across the league is effectively a 6 pointer. way better to be in our position right now.

WSW now out of the running for the premiership. 

Remaining Contenders

CCM maximum = 46 points (currently 37 points) 

Adelaide maximum = 50 points (currently 41 points) 

Melb City maximum = 57 points (currently 45 points) 

Edited by haz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 09/04/2023 at 12:22 PM, haz said:

WSW now out of the running for the premiership. 

Remaining Contenders

CCM maximum = 46 points (currently 37 points) 

Melb City maximum = 57 points (currently 45 points) 

CCM also out of the running

Remaining Contenders

Melb City maximum = 57 points (currently 48 points) 

27 minutes ago, haz said:

Have I ever mentioned how Aloisi is the greatest coach to grace the earth? I reckon he'll have no issues knocking off Adelaide. Go John! You're #1. That run of losses with Heart was just bad luck. 

Even a draw gets it done today. Park the bus ja

• Like 1