Melbourne Football

The race to the plate

MHFC-FAN

22 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

To be honest I don't see any teams winning 7 or more of their last 10 games. 

We won the last 2 seasons on 49 points so we only need 5 more wins from our next 11 games to likely wrap it up. 

As you said though it's looking like a double digit lead at the end of the season and probably 35+ goal difference... 

All we need now is a serious multi goal spanking of the Tards in one of the derby matches and we'll be thoroughly satisfied. 7 or 8 nil should do it....

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

To be honest I don't see any teams winning 7 or more of their last 10 games. 

We won the last 2 seasons on 49 points so we only need 5 more wins from our next 11 games to likely wrap it up. 

As you said though it's looking like a double digit lead at the end of the season and probably 35+ goal difference... 

The biggest threat is not one of the other clubs, it's complacency. Rado and the lads have got to keep their focus. I'll believe it when I'm back on Richmond Station and we really have!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, heart1011 said:

Adelaide are really the only challenger now IMO. And looking at the remaining fixtures they definitely have a harder draw than us. They also play Central Coast and the Wanderers too as do we..

FB_IMG_1678707954992.thumb.jpg.1967b4489304e8d8080e7a24d8f43773.jpg

Adelaides run home includes 4 of the 6 games against the top 6 opponents. With 2 tough away trips to West Sydney and Perth. 

We fortunately only play 3 of the top 6 teams with the hardest away game being the Central Coast. 

It's really ours to lose, but if Adelaide trips up and we take another 3 points off them then I think it's ours...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, heart1011 said:

As far as the Plate is concerned I think it is in our hands. As for finals.. We really need to tighten up our defence and stop conceding so many goals! If we come up against Adelaide in the finals that honestly worries me!

What about finishing the easy chances we create?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, heart1011 said:

As far as the Plate is concerned I think it is in our hands. As for finals.. We really need to tighten up our defence and stop conceding so many goals! If we come up against Adelaide in the finals that honestly worries me!

To be honest I don't really care about the finals to be honest. It's incredibly diluted now with there being no ACL qualification winning the grand final. Also being in Sydney for the next 3 years is farcical. 

It's really all about the regular season now and the premier plate is now the most heavily weighted trophy. Not only does it prove the best team of the season but gives direct qualification to the ACL group stage.

Also second in the league now gets a shot in the AFC Cup and the winner of the Aus Cup also qualifies for this competition. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

What about finishing the easy chances we create?

Yeah that's a very good point! We create so many and yet don't capitalise on them! Just look at the game we played away against the Wanderers!

24 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

To be honest I don't really care about the finals to be honest. It's incredibly diluted now with there being no ACL qualification winning the grand final. Also being in Sydney for the next 3 years is farcical. 

It's really all about the regular season now and the premier plate is now the most heavily weighted trophy. Not only does it prove the best team of the season but gives direct qualification to the ACL group stage.

Also second in the league now gets a shot in the AFC Cup and the winner of the Aus Cup also qualifies for this competition. 

Another great point! Finals are almost worthless in a way now apart from getting the toilet seat and being crowned as "Champions"

This game would grow so much if they went down the path of getting rid of finals and bringing in promotion and relegation!

• Like 1

So we now have just a 4 point lead over Adelaide with 1 game in hand. 

In the last 10 games Adelaide has been undefeated with 22 points compared to our 16 points over the same period. 

Certainly a huge game coming up for Adelaide after the break when they play away to the Wanderers. Ultimately they are going to be taking points off eachother. Best result will be the Wanderers to win or a draw will be ok providing we beat Newcastle at home! 

29 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

So we now have just a 4 point lead over Adelaide with 1 game in hand. 

In the last 10 games Adelaide has been undefeated with 22 points compared to our 16 points over the same period. 

Certainly a huge game coming up for Adelaide after the break when they play away to the Wanderers. Ultimately they are going to be taking points off eachother. Best result will be the Wanderers to win or a draw will be ok providing we beat Newcastle at home! 

I think forget the game in hand. Remember the old saying: "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

I think that the club has to get its mindset right, and look as though we have ambition. A bit like the ACL last season. This is IMO the main issue with "the City way." It should be "the winning way."

Not taking three last night has opened the door ever so slightly for Adelaide, WSW aren't in the race.

Realistically 8 points is still pretty likely to be enough, so we are def in the box seat, but it would sure be nice if WSW can do a job and basically kill off their run.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Not taking three last night has opened the door ever so slightly for Adelaide, WSW aren't in the race.

Realistically 8 points is still pretty likely to be enough, so we are def in the box seat, but it would sure be nice if WSW can do a job and basically kill off their run.

And WSW are hitting form themselves. Meanwhile the break can surely only help us, with the chance of injuries having time to clear up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I think forget the game in hand. Remember the old saying: "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

I think that the club has to get its mindset right, and look as though we have ambition. A bit like the ACL last season. This is IMO the main issue with "the City way." It should be "the winning way."

Yes true, we obviously don't want to have to rely on that game in hand. We should be wrapping it up without "needing" the game in hand... 

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

We won last season on 49 points and may be able to win it this season with the same points haul. 

Adelaide if they were to win all their remaining games would finish on 52 points. Meaning from here we would need either 11 points to tie 52 and win on goal difference or we would need 12 to win the league outright by 1 point. 

So in this hypothetical world we need 12 points from our last 6 games to put it beyond doubt...

• Like 1

By my reckoning we only need 2 wins and draw 7 points in our last 6 matches.

We have only 1 game outside of Melbourne. 

No chance Adelaide are winning 5 on the bounce, away to wanderers and perf they will lose.

48 points will win the League.

Edited by jw1739
Removed excessive white space
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Zanty said:

if we do not win the premiers plate Rado has to go

That won't happen, but seeing Rado say he's proud of his players after (his count) of 24 goal-scoring opportunities and just one goal is just a little bit too laissez-faire. It's pretty clear that the players need to show a lot more composure in sight of goal than they are at the present time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

That won't happen, but seeing Rado say he's proud of his players after (his count) of 24 goal-scoring opportunities and just one goal is just a little bit too laissez-faire. It's pretty clear that the players need to show a lot more composure in sight of goal than they are at the present time.

The front line is not clicking without Leckie that is evident, But we are too leaky in defence, and that's not a personnel issue it's a structure issue which Rado can easily fix imo

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Zanty said:

The front line is not clicking without Leckie that is evident, But we are too leaky in defence, and that's not a personnel issue it's a structure issue which Rado can easily fix imo

Agree. Largely i think the performances have been pretty good under Rado, but the uptick in risk taking for a return in attack is obviously exposing us at the back and making it very clear how teams should play against us ie Park the bus, hope we are a bit off in attack and then slice us up on the counter/set pieces if the chance presents.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Our last game was reminiscent of the game against wanderers. And what i mean by that is i cannot believe how often these professional players could not actually make proper contact with the ball when they shoot. To me it seemed evey shot was mishit or underhit. 

One of our Gang mutters every time "That's just not good enough for a professional footballer." He is particularly critical of Berisha, who he says doesn't get his head over the ball.

8 hours ago, bt50 said:

Agree. Largely i think the performances have been pretty good under Rado, but the uptick in risk taking for a return in attack is obviously exposing us at the back and making it very clear how teams should play against us ie Park the bus, hope we are a bit off in attack and then slice us up on the counter/set pieces if the chance presents.

Performances have usually been good until about 4-5 weeks ago, but 18 goals conceded in 10 games is worrying

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Does that result now mean we're locked in for Asia? Or do we still need at least a point on Monday?

Off my rough maths and the most points over two seasons 

We have 45 points this season and 49 for last season for a total of 94.

They had 43 last season and 41 this season for a total of 84.

They have three games left, so a max of 9 points and total points of 93.

If someone could please confirm, but yes we have the ACL locked in 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

Off my rough maths and the most points over two seasons 

We have 45 points this season and 49 for last season for a total of 94.

They had 43 last season and 41 this season for a total of 84.

They have three games left, so a max of 9 points and total points of 93.

If someone could please confirm, but yes we have the ACL locked in 

Yes, ACL here we come! And the club has tweeted the news already.

41 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

The magic number is now 5

Assuming we don't blow our goal difference that is.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1