Melbourne Football

The race to the plate

MHFC-FAN

1 minute ago, Nate said:

This game's fkn wild

Victory looks really hungry, I'm worried for us (both for the plate and the toilet seat)

I've been saying for a long time that you cannot write off MV. Our club's problem is that we don't have their killer instinct. We fucked up in Thailand, and we fucked up in Perth, and the latter is the reason why we're even bothering to look at the remaining matches for MV and WU.

And I see it's 3-1 now. This the way we should play.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nate said:

This game's fkn wild

Victory looks really hungry, I'm worried for us (both for the plate and the toilet seat)

Absolutely crazy game.

I expect them to win the toilet seat and like you, I wouldn't put it past us to throw away the plate on Monday too.

5 minutes ago, malloy said:

Absolutely crazy game.

I expect them to win the toilet seat and like you, I wouldn't put it past us to throw away the plate on Monday too.

We threw it away in Perth. It's just a question of whether it breaks on Monday.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

We threw it away in Perth. It's just a question of whether it breaks on Monday.

Oh bs JW, cmon now. We're still in the driver's seat. We didn't throw it away.

If we have a smidgen of professionalism about us, we'd be preparing for a win on Monday irrespective of tonight's result. I honestly don't see all the fuss. If we don't win, we don't deserve it. Then we can blame PK and Glover all we want.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

We can’t be surprised about Victory. Good coach, used the full cap, key positions with experience, all visas are part of the team. Seem to stand up in bigger games.

Unpredictable going forward, never you know who stands up and scores for them.

Edited by Mr MO

9 minutes ago, rass said:

Oh bs JW, cmon now. We're still in the driver's seat. We didn't throw it away.

If we have a smidgen of professionalism about us, we'd be preparing for a win on Monday irrespective of tonight's result. I honestly don't see all the fuss. If we don't win, we don't deserve it. Then we can blame PK and Glover all we want.

I think we did. If we'd won we would be Premiers. The bottom team who hadn't won for yonks and had 15 points for the season?

Just now, jw1739 said:

I think we did. If we'd won we would be Premiers. The bottom team who hadn't won for yonks and had 15 points for the season?

If we win, we WILL be premiers. That's the simplest fact of all.

Fuk yeah, Perth was a shit result but c'mon, let's get to the game on Monday and get behind the boys instead of writing your obituaries on here.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rass said:

If we win, we WILL be premiers. That's the simplest fact of all.

Fuk yeah, Perth was a shit result but c'mon, let's get to the game on Monday and get behind the boys instead of writing your obituaries on here.

It was originally intended to be "funny", but everyone is so tense on here that it hasn't been taken that way. My apologies if I offended you, and anyone else.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

With the CCM win does this now mean that the Nux can’t get a home final anymore?

Yes believe that's it. They could move to 5th if WU beats Adelaide and then the Nix would have to beat us. But 4th is gone now purely on goal difference. Mariners just a cool 28 goals up on the Nix 😅

WU up 1-0 after 10.  Adelaide back level after 14 at 1-1.

should WU get up, if we don't win tomorrow then that's a 3rd place finish.  given where we stood before the Glory game, a 3rd place finish would be bitterly disappointing.

dont know if i have ever cheered so hard for Adelaide

Toper Stanley injured too - looks like a hammy.

13 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

WU up 1-0 after 10.  Adelaide back level after 14 at 1-1.

should WU get up, if we don't win tomorrow then that's a 3rd place finish.  given where we stood before the Glory game, a 3rd place finish would be bitterly disappointing.

dont know if i have ever cheered so hard for Adelaide

Toper Stanley injured too - looks like a hammy.

A third-place finish would mean no AFC football next time around.

14 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

This would be the biggest understatement if it eventuate. Would be a massive fail of a season if we implode tomorrow night and end up 3rd.

Would suck for sure but we haven't beaten any of them, over 6 games, so probably where we belong (3rd) if we don't beat the Nix. 

Edited by Mr MO

2-1 it's finished.

The team that finishes in 2nd place will be in the AFC Cup, which is to the ACL rather like the Europa League is to the UEFA Champions League.

The winner of the AFC Cup qualifies for the following ACL. 

Whoever ends up in the AFC Cup ought to win the thing.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

All this also means Nux have nothing to play for but pride. We still need to put them to the sword.

I would be pretty disgusted if Phoenix didn't want to end their League season and go into the "finals" on a high, and I fully expect them to come at us with everything they've got.

And pretty disgusted with us if we don't put them to the sword if the opportunity is there.

9 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Primary motivation now is to stop Victory winning the league. That will be great for us, and it will really hurt them.

I disagree. Our motivation must be to be Premiers.

• Like 1

• jw1739 unpinned this topic
  • 7 months later...

*Bump for season 22/23*

We're currently 8 points clear of 2nd & 3rd with a game in hand(Victory replay) . If we win that game in hand we will be 11 points clear on the same games played. 

That would mean we would have to lose at least 4 or more games in the remaining 11 rounds with our closest rivals winning on those occasions. 

In a strong position at this stage in time... 

Edited by MHFC-FAN
  • Like 2

On 05/02/2023 at 2:32 PM, MHFC-FAN said:

*Bump for season 22/23*

We're currently 8 points clear of 2nd & 3rd with a game in hand(Victory replay) . If we win that game in hand we will be 11 points clear on the same games played. 

That would mean we would have to lose at least 4 or more games in the remaining 11 rounds with our closest rivals winning on those occasions. 

In a strong position at this stage in time... 

It's an interesting position, we've opened up a strong advantage, especially considering how strong our squad looks on paper to the rest of the league and that assuming we start the replacement Victory game 1-0 up and 20 minutes in, We'd be pretty long odds to fail to at least get a point from there.

We've won the last two plates by a combined three points and we really should do it comprehensively this year.

• Thanks 1

Realistically I think we only need about 15 more points to wrap it up, unless someone goes on a winning run of 7+ games. 

If average points per game continues as how it currently sits, were going to win the plate by around 15 points. Would be easily the biggest margin to win premiership 

Do you want to know the other thing that's great and the should be a huge motivation? Victory supporters are reduced to thinking 'anyone but them', when they think about who they can stomach taking home the silverware this year. It'll be four straight years when we've been better than them and they've won squat over that period. The chef's kiss is that the one year that they've actually been decent over that time, we stole the plate back off them on the last game of thecseason by one point.

If we can do the double this year, we'll be rapidly closing the gap on them in terms of the A-League honour boards. And with Victory claiming two plates and two toilet seats before we joined the league, we'll actually go past them in terms of league honours since both clubs have been in the league.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, neio said:

Realistically I think we only need about 15 more points to wrap it up, unless someone goes on a winning run of 7+ games. 

If average points per game continues as how it currently sits, were going to win the plate by around 15 points. Would be easily the biggest margin to win premiership 

To be honest I don't see any teams winning 7 or more of their last 10 games. 

We won the last 2 seasons on 49 points so we only need 5 more wins from our next 11 games to likely wrap it up. 

As you said though it's looking like a double digit lead at the end of the season and probably 35+ goal difference... 

• Thanks 1