Melbourne Football

The race to the plate

MHFC-FAN

16 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

So the ACF is essentially like what the Europa league is to the UEFA championship league?

Yes correct, it's like Asia's version of Europa league. The teams are likely to be 'more beatable' no Japanese or Korean teams play in the AFC Cup. Plus it's fairly lucrative at I believe $1.5 million prize money for winning the Cup... 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Worth noting that the Toilet seat winner now gets no ACL/AFC Cup representation as far as im aware.

Plate Winner = Champions League Group Stage
Runner Up/Cup Winner = AFC Cup

We've already lost the third allocation? I thought it was as per below for next season but obviously this changes with the performance of the Australian teams.

Plate Winner = Direct to Champions League Group Stage
Cup Winner =2nd round qualifying Champions League Group Stage
Runner Up league  =AFC cup

Edited by Mr MO

54 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

We've already lost the third allocation? I thought it was as per below for next season but obviously this changes with the performance of the Australian teams.

@Mr MO @bt50 Pretty sure that bt50 is correct on this.

Premier goes into the ACF Champions League.
Runner-up into the AFC Cup.
Australia Cup winner into the AFC Cup.

Just now, kingofhearts said:

The finals are essentially pointless now then correct? Might as well scrap them now.

Yes, that's the view that some of us have had for quite a while. The focus needs to switch to all our clubs being able to perform well in Asia, whichever one it is and whenever they get there, because that affects our rankings in the ACF. We need to strengthen our domestic league so that we are more competitive. We must aspire to more. Turn our eyes to Asia in recruitment as well.

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Believe there is only one direct ACL group stage spot and that is via winning the league. 

The other spot will be via the long way around and having to win the AFC Cup. 

So it looks like best case scenario only 2 A League teams could participate in the ACL. 

Also it will actually take the teams that finish runners up or Australia Cup winners 2 years to make it to the ACL. As the AFC Cup will be played the same time as the ACL from what I i have gathered... 

8 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

But BT is talking about only 2 spots and last I checked we have 3 allocations?

May be 3 allocations to 'play in Asia' but not necessarily in the ACL. 1 will go direct ACL group stage. The other 2 will try qualify through the AFC Cup. Which in theory only one of the two could possibly qualify as winners of the AFC Cup. 

Edited by MHFC-FAN

Grand final is not pointless.  Ask yourself or any footy fan. Our club soccer is very much targeted only to local competition. The final is the only event which is covered by all media.  International football is reserved for EPL and Socceroos. 

I will be still dreaming about seeing my City versus overseas club at the home venue. 

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

But BT is talking about only 2 spots and last I checked we have 3 allocations?

No you're reading it wrong. Thats three spots, its just that the league runner up and Australia Cup winner both go to the AFC Cup.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bt50 said:

No you're reading it wrong. Thats three spots, its just that the league runner up and Australia Cup winner both go to the AFC Cup.

From what you have gathered. Only one team can qualify for ACL group stage by winning AFC Cup is that correct? 

11 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Play a few more league games. I'd happily scrap the finals.

Absolutely. At the moment we only just qualify for the ACL by the number of league matches we play. We need to have more viable clubs in the league and play more football. If we end up with fewer viable teams, then we have to play them more often.

We wanted to go into the ACF for national team reasons. Now we're there we play by their rules. We need to grow up.

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

From what you have gathered. Only one team can qualify for ACL group stage by winning AFC Cup is that correct? 

AFC Cup is the equivalent of the Europa League so its an unrelated tournament in terms of the next edition of the Champo i think. But like the Champo in Europe, if you with the Europa or AFC Cup, you get a ticket to the following Champions League.

Looking at what Aus teams would be up against in it, they should have every expectation of winning it.
The quicker that happens the quicker our allocation in the ACL is restored.

Edited by bt50

41 minutes ago, bt50 said:

AFC Cup is the equivalent of the Europa League so its an unrelated tournament in terms of the next edition of the Champo i think. But like the Champo in Europe, if you with the Europa or AFC Cup, you get a ticket to the following Champions League.

Looking at what Aus teams would be up against in it, they should have every expectation of winning it.
The quicker that happens the quicker our allocation in the ACL is restored.

Yes I get it's comparison to the Europa league. From what you have gathered only the winners of the AFC Cup get the following season ACL group stage? 

Definitely would expect most A League clubs to be making semis and finals of the Cup. Not a bad tournament at all considering the higher chances of winning it. Better chances than the ACL that is for sure. 

It is what it is, yes, but I reckon having to front up and play Perth tomorrow evening after just returning from a hectic ACL campaign is bloody rough on us. Surely we could have been given a bit of a break before the final two matches of the season?

41 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It is what it is, yes, but I reckon having to front up and play Perth tomorrow evening after just returning from a hectic ACL campaign is bloody rough on us. Surely we could have been given a bit of a break before the final two matches of the season?

Guess the problem was the regular season window is closing before first round finals so we didn't have much leeway. Most of the key players were either on the bench or only played 30mins against Pathum. Think we'll still be able to play a pretty strong 11 on Wed night. 

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Okay okay we won the double last season in a weakened league but you are never going to be long term force if you aren’t utilising the full salary cap and we need to be more ambitious with our marquee players.

Not having probably the most inflexible and stubbirn manager in a league history would help as well

• Like 1

So Wellington have now locked in the top 6 so can they take it easy against us in theory.

As result Sydney is now out of the finals and they have nothing to play for against Victory, this on paper is the best scenario for Victory.

What this also means is that Adelaide and Wellington now perhaps want to push for higher final placement ranking.

Edited by Mr MO

33 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

So Wellington have now locked in the top 6 so can they take it easy against us in theory.

As result Sydney is now out of the finals and they have nothing to play for against Victory, this on paper is the best scenario for Victory.

What this also means is that Adelaide and Wellington now perhaps want to push for higher final placement ranking.

It all means shit. We just have to win, pure and simple. No bigger motivation than that.

• Like 4

I am quite surprised that the A-League isn't doing more to promote the games this weekend. From a marketing point of view a MV win takes them to the top of the table on Saturday evening. Then on  Sunday a WU win takes them to the top and followed by the City game on Monday evening. So where is the promotion?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rass said:

It all means shit. We just have to win, pure and simple. No bigger motivation than that.

Agreed. We've been too tolerant of poor performances from City for too long. High time we stopped all this if and but stuff. Club and supporters should be focussed on winning every match, regardless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• jw1739 unpinned this topic