Melbourne Football

The race to the plate

MHFC-FAN

8 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Yes but more concerned with the CCM and WU match. 

I don't think the notion that Victory are in the plate race is anything more than mathematical tbh. CCM v WU, and Adel v WU arfe the only other two fixtures we need to watch imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I don't think the notion that Victory are in the plate race is anything more than mathematical tbh. CCM v WU, and Adel v WU arfe the only other two fixtures we need to watch imo.

Yes completely agree! I wouldn't write off Newcastle as I believe they could potentially take points off WU. 

39 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

It's only WU who matters for the plate. If we win then in the finals we could play  either them or Poppa's team. Otherwise we could play derby match against Boys in Blue in the semis. 

IMO its a huge advantage to finish top and avoid WU/MV in the semi final.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

IMO its a huge advantage to finish top and avoid WU/MV in the semi final.

Yes. We haven't beaten either all season. And we've had  by far the busiest end to the season because of the ACL Group matches in Thailand.

Im not particularly scared of WU tbh. We belted them the first time and somehow lost 1-0, had bulk unavailabilities through NT the 2nd time around and the 3rd time we gave them a head start and were prob stiff in the end not to take all three.
I still think in finals when push comes to shove we'll see them off.
MV are a different proposition and far more likely to roll us imo.

I'd still back us in tbf, but its a lot easier to play Adelaide/Welly/CCM then WU/MV than it is to play MV then WU.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Im not particularly scared of WU tbh. We belted them the first time and somehow lost 1-0, had bulk unavailabilities through NT the 2nd time around and the 3rd time we gave them a head start and were prob stiff in the end not to take all three.
I still think in finals when push comes to shove we'll see them off.
MV are a different proposition and far more likely to roll us imo.

I'd still back us in tbf, but its a lot easier to play Adelaide/Welly/CCM then WU/MV than it is to play MV then WU.

Absolutely agreed. Despite the results I think we've been hugely unlucky against WU this year. The first match was the most dominant way to lose 1-0 you'll ever see. Second match we had our entire front half of the team missing, and third match they were bloody lucky to escape with a draw. They were hanging on for half the match and even their own fans agreed we belted them. I'd be much more concerned to face Victory as their playing style really troubles us. We haven't looked strong against them in any of our matches this season.

31 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

1-0 to MV after just 2 minutes.

1-1 but it’s all about their solid midfield as with many of the Popovic teams.

All three midfielders decent age and experienced. I remember this Rai Marchan who’s had Berenguer in his pocket every time we play them.

Edited by Mr MO

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

1-1 but it’s all about their solid midfield as with many of the Popovic teams.

All three midfielders decent age and experienced. I remember this Rai Marchan who’s had Berenguer in his pocket every time we play them.

Doesn't have the pedigree of Pucci as far as I can see....

• Haha 3

For me the race remains open to the top three teams. Both city and WU have their fates in their own hands whilst MV not only has to beat Sydney but then require that City and WU lose their remaining games. If either City or WU draw or lose a game then their fate is tied to what the other results are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

For me the race remains open to the top three teams. Both city and WU have their fates in their own hands whilst MV not only has to beat Sydney but then require that City and WU lose their remaining games. If either City or WU draw or lose a game then their fate is tied to what the other results are.

Correct. Whilst it remains arithmetically possible for any one of the three teams to win the Plate...then I'm afraid that it is arithmetically possible. It is not over yet.

12 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Can we win it now at Perth Glory away? They’ll have a full strength squad back then.

Would be huge to come away with a win in the west. Western Union play the same night just 2 hours before kickoff. Hopefully Newcastle get at least a point out of it. 

5 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Newy hitting some form ... WUFC are a chance of zero points from their last two. The Tards will hopefully also lose to Shitney.   Despite PK and Glover, job may well be done

Hope you're right... Nothing is guaranteed imo until I see the official results!

15 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Newy hitting some form ... WUFC are a chance of zero points from their last two. The Tards will hopefully also lose to Shitney.   Despite PK and Glover, job may well be done

Let's not count the chickens until they hatch yeah? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Say if by total disaster victory end up on top and we blow our last two games to finish second, would we get the ACL spot as victory have already qualified through the FFA cup?

No because their qualification was for this season not next. They played a qualifier and lost.

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

Say if by total disaster victory end up on top and we blow our last two games to finish second, would we get the ACL spot as victory have already qualified through the FFA cup?

There is now only one direct entry spot for ACL and that's winning the league. Runners up and Australia Cup winners now draws us into the AFC Cup which I believe will be the first time any A League clubs have entered. Winning the AFC Cup leads to ACL qualification

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

There is now only one direct entry spot for ACL and that's winning the league. Runners up and Australia Cup winners now draws us into the AFC Cup which I believe will be the first time any A League clubs have entered. Winning the AFC Cup leads to ACL qualification

This is correct. A club such as Melbourne City ought to be playing in an ACF competition almost every season from now on, and that is what we must aspire to - winning ACF trophies on a regular basis.

• jw1739 unpinned this topic