Melbourne Football

The race to the plate

MHFC-FAN

12 minutes ago, K-aram92 said:

And also when Western have one of the best GKs who's saved them heaps of points 

Agree, 

Obviously clean sheets are not all down to the keeper, but it's a fair indicator. 

Screenshot_20220420-132532_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Jovan

8 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Agree, 

Obviously clean sheets are not all down to the keeper, but it's a fair indicator. 

Screenshot_20220420-132532_Chrome.jpg

Who are the coaches involved? I still maintain that a lot of Glover's problem is that he's not being coached properly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Who are the coaches involved? I still maintain that a lot of Glover's problem is that he's not being coached properly.

I really don't get it. Sure a coach helps with technique and probably confidence but ultimately it's up to the player. 

Maybe it's all down to Olver, but I'm putting it back on Glover. He needs to be better, he showed for periods last season he was capable, but still had a few fuck ups.

This season he's been poor. Problem is that the backup dude doesn't seem ready.

I'm not convinced it's got much to do with the coach, my opinion. 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

43 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I really don't get it. Sure a coach helps with technique and probably confidence but ultimately it's up to the player. 

Maybe it's all down to Olver, but I'm putting it back on Glover. He needs to be better, he showed for periods last season he was capable, but still had a few fuck ups.

The case against the coaching is that Redmayne improved once he went elsewhere; Birighitti is in front of Glover for clean sheets, and Bouzanis was never dropped. And Sutton as the back up GK is not providing sufficient competition.

The case against Glover is that his reading of the game has been worse this season compared to last season and his responses have been worse.

The case for...I struggle.

36 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

The case against the coaching is that Redmayne improved once he went elsewhere; Birighitti is in front of Glover for clean sheets, and Bouzanis was never dropped. And Sutton as the back up GK is not providing sufficient competition.

The case against Glover is that his reading of the game has been worse this season compared to last season and his responses have been worse.

The case for...I struggle.

This sounds harsh but IMO he doesn’t have personality to be a really good goalkeeper. Natural confidence something you need to have as a goalkeeper, you either you have it or you don’t. You can tell by the body language. It’s about trust and respect from the  defence in front of you, having your opponent backing out of a challenge as you will collect the ball anyways. Goalkeepers own their boxes, any hesitation in decision making usually results in errors.

He just doesn’t have what it takes I’m afraid.

Next game try to listen to his coaching, it’s not present and just yells “Away” in panic with every ball coming into the box.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

In another thread I have explained in more detail. Basically, that Olver had retired before the back-pass rule changes were introduced, and before the concept of the "sweeper-keeper" became common. Olver never had to experience what Glover is expected to be able to do, so how can he teach it?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jw1739 said:

In another thread I have explained in more detail. Basically, that Olver had retired before the back-pass rule changes were introduced, and before the concept of the "sweeper-keeper" became common. Olver never had to experience what Glover is expected to be able to do, so how can he teach it?

I did see your other post, don't really agree. 

Yes Olver played along time ago relatively speaking, but it has zero to do with Glover's performances. 

Before I continue I would like to put it out there I got no idea if Olver is bad coach, and therefore cannot confirm if he is a brilliant coach either, but surely, to say that he's unable to teach/coach modern goalkeeping techniques because he retired a few decades ago is wrong.

The bloke has been involved in the game, obviously has numerous coaching badges and has been studying analysing and above all coaching for a very very long time.

I'm putting it back on Glover, he is at minimum 95% responsible for his own performances. 

Glover would have had at least 15 different coaches over his journey to become a professional and all of them would have been responsible for his development but none of them have ever been responsible for his performances. 

He is the one that at the end of the day that decides to come, to stay, punch, catch, kick long short. 

Imo Glover is the problem not Olver. 

I'm also undecided if last season was an aberration and he played at a level above himself and this season is his true level or he is just in bad run of form and will come good again. 

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I'm also undecided if last season was an aberration and he played at a level above himself and this season is his true level or he is just in bad run of form and will come good again. 

I agree with you Jovan, with GKs it's mostly the player once you are out on the pitch. 

Last season he's had several howlers too, most of them are forgotten quickly if you actually end up winning these games, which we did.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I agree with you Jovan, with GKs it's mostly the player once you are out on the pitch. 

Last season he's had several howlers too, most of them are forgotten quickly if you actually end up winning these games, which we did.

100%, and agree about his howlers, but overall he was way better than currently, and actually kept us in some games.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

100%, and agree about his howlers, but overall he was way better than currently, and actually kept us in some games.

I dunno, it seems that most of our keepers have regressed the longer they have been at the club. That to me indicates a coaching issue, but it is hard to point at a coaching issue when we have had numerous different keeper coaches.

Err... Is this the Tom Glover thread or where we discuss the final games leading up to the Premiers plate? 

Any who, I would conservatively say we'll pick up 4 points in the last two rounds. Ideally 6 would be great but I'd take a draw in Perth given how average our record has been over there. As for WU they can't pick up any more than 6 points in their final 3 rounds so 2 wins and a loss is the best case scenario for them. Ideally a loss and 2 draws would be ideal for our sake. 

Apologies for Glover discussion, 

WU have won the easier fixtures they had on paper. And to their credit have done well and deserve to be where they are,

BUT. Now comes the test.

They play 3 away games in 8 days. 30/4, 4/5 & 8/5.

I don't care what anyone says they are not beating Adelaide away on the last day.

Then Mariners who are playing for finals will be tough, maybe best case for them draw.

They should be Jets.

Thats 4 points which is generous.

Then everything is up to us. 

So basically to me this weekend will go a long way deciding on who wins the plate. WU takes 3 points they have a massive chance. 

Ultimately I can't see them being that "lucky"

22 minutes ago, Jovan said:

WU have won the easier fixtures they had on paper. And to their credit have done well and deserve to be where they are,

BUT. Now comes the test.

I don't care what anyone says they are not beating Adelaide away on the last day.

Then Mariners who are playing for finals will be tough, maybe best case for them draw.

They should be Jets.

So basically to me this weekend will go a long way deciding on who wins the plate. WU takes 3 points they have a massive chance. 

Yeah I reckon you are right, certainly hope Adelaide get the job done against them. Central Coast and Newcastle play well at home and should be tough fixtures for them. Will be a little nerve wracking final few rounds. WU will finally have played equal games by the time we finish our ACL group games... 

• Like 1

I'm backing the Mariners to get at least a draw against WU. They're in good form and have a lot to play for. 

I'm also backing us to go to Perth and knock them off too as they're garbage atm. 

But you never know And if WU manage to get through the last 3 away games in close succession with enough points to win the plate, then they've deserved top spot 

47 minutes ago, Jovan said:

BUT. Now comes the test.

They should be Jets.

Isn't Western Union's next match on 30th April rather than this weekend?

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

On that, I know this will sound like excuses, but for the majority of this season we've been playing 3 games a week compared to the others (obviously due to acl commitments). 

If we do manage to finish top, that's a pretty great achievement given the significant lack in breaks between games compared to everyone else 

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Your right. Saturday week. The 2 easters have ruined me.

Regardless they still have 3 quick away games.

Maybe the extended break will trip them up. 

We've undersold nomad fc all year because of our negative bias towards one JA (myself included).Even though they don't score 100 goals a game like us, the fact is their defence has been the best in the league all year. Their cb pairing (taking a seems like 50 year old topor Stanley with their great import who's name I have forgotten) with Jamie young has been the backbone of their campaign.

I think they will beat both CCM and newy, and draw to Adelaide so we'll need to win our last two to win the plate. 

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

We've undersold nomad fc all year because of our negative bias towards one JA (myself included).Even though they don't score 100 goals a game like us, the fact is their defence has been the best in the league all year. Their cb pairing (taking a seems like 50 year old topor Stanley with their great import who's name I have forgotten) with Jamie young has been the backbone of their campaign.

I think they will beat both CCM and newy, and draw to Adelaide so we'll need to win our last two to win the plate. 

Correct they have had a great defence all season and have pretty much beaten everyone below them. The CB you are thinking of is Lacroix? 

I hope you are wrong about the ccm and newy game as we can't afford them to collect 7 points in the last 3 games...

14 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Absolutely horrendous! They don't deserve to be in the finals, they've conceded more goals then Perth ffs! 

Only serves to reinforce my view that the A-League "finals" are not an appropriate way to finish the season.

I'm resigning myself to the likely outcome of the season, with Western winning the Plate and us needing 4 points from two matches to get second.

17 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Yes, they have to be the most likely IMO.

Adelaide are the most likely imo, but hopefully the mariners do us a solid before then.

If WU win the plate they'll have earned it imo, but i still think they wont win all three either way.

• Like 1

Victory just drew with Brisbane. That puts them after 24 games (same as us) on 42 points (we're on 46). So to finish above Victory we only need to win 1 game or draw both games (the latter assuming Victory don't overturn a 10+ goal difference).

32 minutes ago, haz said:

Victory just drew with Brisbane. That puts them after 24 games (same as us) on 42 points (we're on 46). So to finish above Victory we only need to win 1 game or draw both games (the latter assuming Victory don't overturn a 10+ goal difference).

The result against Brisbane basically takes them out of the premiers race. Providing we don't lose our last 2 games then we will finish above them and hopefully we can finish top with some help from CCM, Newcastle and Adelaide... 

Edited by MHFC-FAN
  • Like 1

i am concerned that we will come out of the ACL tired and carrying a few injuries and knocks etc - even if we qualify, which would be great - so confidence might be high but tired bodies. This puts the two final games at a bit more of a risk. 

I hate hoping for other teams to help us to the premiers plate because i think we should be in control of our own achievements, but I am sure CCM and AU will really push WU and maybe do us a favour along the way.

• Like 1

That's a massive result for us. Well done Brisbane!

38 minutes ago, citymad said:

i am concerned that we will come out of the ACL tired and carrying a few injuries and knocks etc - even if we qualify, which would be great - so confidence might be high but tired bodies. This puts the two final games at a bit more of a risk. 

I hate hoping for other teams to help us to the premiers plate because i think we should be in control of our own achievements, but I am sure CCM and AU will really push WU and maybe do us a favour along the way.

Depending on what PK does for the last two matches in Thailand, we've still got very capable players who've not seen many minutes, some hardly any, and who ought to be capable of doing the job for our final two League matches.

• jw1739 unpinned this topic