Melbourne Football

The race to the plate

MHFC-FAN

8 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

We're going to have to win our last two and hope for other results to go our way

Only if WU win at least 3 more of their last 4. Victory would have to win all 4 of their last games to be a real threat. 

Let's see what happens next round. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Only if WU win at least 3 more of their last 4. Victory would have to win all 4 of their last games to be a real threat. 

Let's see what happens next round. 

We didn’t beat any of them so it’s deservedly out of our hands.

If WU can beat MacArthur and Adelaide in these last rounds then they’ve done well.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

As it stands with the Newcastle-MV match still on, our maximum possible points are 52, Western Union's maximum is 53, and MV's maximum is 50.

We've got five more ACL matches to play before we get to play our remaining two League matches. We're going to come back from Bangkok with a squad that will be be barely able to walk let alone run.

I will be happy if we manage to finish second - at least we will still play in the AFC Cup next season.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Ah, Newcastle score!

But your earlier assessment of maximum 50 points for Victory is still correct. 

Both WU and Victory are playing MacArthur next week perhaps Craig Noone and Moudi can do us a favour. I’m routing for them next week.

Edited by Mr MO

10 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

But your earlier assessment of maximum 50 points for Victory is still correct. 

Both WU and Victory are playing MacArthur next week perhaps Craig Noone and Moudi can do us a favour. I’m routing for them next week.

Surely 48 if they draw tonight?

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Yes my apologies I was watching lagging live ladder.

Fuck

Yes. MV got there at the death, so their maximum is 50. 

IMO it's still a little early to call it, because a single match can turn it around but I reckon we will have to take at least 4 points from our last two matches to play in the AFC Cup.

Huge ask given the number of matches we still have to play.

Last two places in the six now between Nix, Macarthur and the Coasties. Nix look to be horribly out of form (injuries?) whilst Bulls and CCM look to be in some sort of form. So the six for me is looking like the three Melbourne clubs, Adelaide, Bulls and CCM with Nix and the always entertaining but inconsistent Jets missing out as the beat of the rest. Sydney look out of it.

9 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I had not realised until last night that Popovic had raided PG. D'Agostino, Davidson, Ikonomides, etc. No wonder PG are in strife.

Smart management when you think about it. Take the best from your previous clubs. You can't do that when you promote from within. 

54 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Smart management when you think about it. Take the best from your previous clubs. You can't do that when you promote from within. 

Not sure on piracy being smart. But certainly the coaching staff at PG can't be fully held to blame for their performances this season.

10 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

It's going right down to the wire... This is western United's to lose now :(

Bugger I really had my hopes up for  MacArthur to step up. Perhaps WU isn’t so shit as we think.

WU has away CCM next, another good test as Central Coast is doing well lately. 

13 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Bugger I really had my hopes up for  MacArthur to step up. Perhaps WU isn’t so shit as we think.

WU has away CCM next, another good test as Central Coast is doing well lately. 

It's what happens when you have the shittest goalkeeper in the league which has cost us 8-10 points easily this season.

He won't be the sole reason, but if we end up losing the league, he should get a fair amount of the blame imo.

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In all fairness to WU and MV too, we haven't managed to beat either this season. Do we really deserve the Plate?

It's not over yet, but it's going to be tight whichever way it goes.

You can never rely on other teams to do your job for you.

Our GK situation is a factor, but IMO so has our overall team management.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

In all fairness to WU and MV too, we haven't managed to beat either this season. Do we really deserve the Plate?

It's not over yet, but it's going to be tight whichever way it goes.

You can never rely on other teams to do your job for you.

Our GK situation is a factor, but IMO so has our overall team management.

They have mostly their visas, designated player and marquees on the park. Good use of the salary cap always gets results in this league that’s a fact.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

It's what happens when you have the shittest goalkeeper in the league which has cost us 8-10 points easily this season.

He won't be the sole reason, but if we end up losing the league, he should get a fair amount of the blame imo.

The Jenkinson pass back against Adelaide is an expensive one too.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

And also when Western have one of the best GKs who's saved them heaps of points 

• Like 3

• jw1739 unpinned this topic