Melbourne Football

Alex Wilkinson

kingofhearts

13 hours ago, playmaker said:

Isn't Fitzgerald a RW?

He is, but it looks pretty certain that he won't be a starter. Given the limited minutes he's played, Fitzgerald looks set to replace David Williams and his role: that of an attacking option off the bench.

And given that Fitzgerald is probably on way less money than Williams, and IMO will be as effective or slightly more effective than Williams, I'm pleased that the club got Fitzgerald. But still for the above points I don't see him impacting the starting lineup, therefore the starting lineup looks set to continue to be 3-5-2.

HOME  TEAM  ALEX WILKINSON

ALEX WILKINSON

ALEX

WILKINSON

DEFENDER
HEIGHT: 187 CM
WEIGHT: 85 KG
DATE OF BIRTH: AUG 13, 1984
PLACE OF BIRTH: SYDNEY
CAREER STATS
16 INTERNATIONAL
APPEARANCES
0 GOALS
SCORED
CURRENT SEASON FRIENDLIES 2014-2015

Alex Wilkinson Seasonal Stats

General 

Games Played
Minutes Played
Starts
Sub Off

Defence 

Clearances
Blocks
Interceptions

Tackles
Tackles Won

Duels
Duels Won

Aerial duels
Aerial Duels Won

Distribution 

243/ 251Accurate Passes
Passing Accuracy %
Passes Per 90 Mins
63.6Succ. Long Passes %
Pass Direction %
29.5Forward23.1Right8.8Backward38.6Left
Passing Accuracy By Area %
90.4Opp. Half98.5Own Half

Total Open Play Crosses
Succ. Crosses
Assists
Chances Created

Attack 

■ Total Shots (exc. blocked shots)
■ Shots On Target
■ Goals Scored

-
Conversion Rate (%)
-
Mins Per Goal
Left Foot Goals
Right Foot Goals
0Goals inside box
Goals outside box
Set Pieces
Headed Goals
Other

Discipline 

Fouls Won
Fouls Conceded
Yellow Cards
Red Cards

Some positive stuff here, particularly his near perfect ball distribution. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, haz said:

Pretty sure he had 100% pass accuracy in one of the world cup matches

A guy on 442 said the last three games he has played for the Socceroos his pass accuracy has been 100%. Apparently plays within himself and knows his strengths and weaknesses very well. 

• Like 1

From what he said in his press conference today, seems that it was CFG that were the ones that wanted only a 6 month contract .

Furthermore Alex did mention that our facilities were world class, best he's seen etc. Etc.

19 minutes ago, haz said:

From what he said in his press conference today, seems that it was CFG that were the ones that wanted only a 6 month contract .

Furthermore Alex did mention that our facilities were world class, best he's seen etc. Etc.

This is very true but I am a bit over this line being constantly trotted out by players. Then again they can't claim "winning mentality", "form,  "historical success" or "great coaching" as reasons.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Alex Wilkinson prioritising Melbourne City form ahead of Socceroos selection

Clement Tito

March 3, 2016

Melbourne City defender Alex Wilkinson is hopeful of getting selected for the Socceroos for their World Cup qualifiers at home against Tajikistan and Jordan.

Wilkinson, Aaron Mooy and Ivan Franjic were all clad in Socceroos gear at Bundoora this morning after Caltex was announced as the Socceroos’ new naming rights sponsor for the next four years.

The City star is competing for spots with the likes of Trent Sainsbury and Matthew Spiranovic, who were both influential in last year’s Asian Cup success.

Wilkinson himself played a pivotal role in the 2014 World Cup and is looking to have more influence before he ages. The 31-year-old arrived at Melbourne City in January after four years at K-League side Jeonbuk Motors and has since played all three games since his entrance at the club.

Despite being hopeful of selection, Wilkinson said club was his first priority but hoped performing well at City may turn Ange Postecoglou’s head.

“It’s not something I go into games thinking about too much. I’m more worried about my club form and just performing there,” Wilkinson said.

“If you do well that can lead to higher honours and getting selected, first and foremost it’s about training hard during the week, building up my fitness and come game day performing well for the team, if that’s good then hopefully I’ll get picked.

“I’ve been down here in Melbourne for a few weeks, enjoying being back out on the pitch and playing with the boys.

“Hopefully I’m in the frame to get selected, there’s a few more weeks to go before the squad will be announced.

“I just have to concentrate on getting fitter and putting in some reasonable performances.”

With the growing amount of Socceroos plying their trade in the A-League, Wilkinson conceded coming back to Australia was a good opportunity to play well and get selected by Postecoglou.

“It’s always nice to know Ange is a big advocate of the A-League and is more than happy to pick players out of the local league if they’re doing well,” he said.

“I think players, first and foremost worry about their club careers, but yes I guess it’s played a little bit on my mind for my decision to come home.”

http://outside90.com/wilkinson-wants-to-play-in-world-cup-qualifiers-but-club-is-first-priority345/

Wilkinson: Melbourne City facilities more advanced compared to clubs in Asia

Clement Tito

March 3, 2016

Melbourne City defender Alex Wilkinson says the facilities at Bundoora are miles ahead of what clubs in Asia have at their disposal.

The 31-year-old arrived at Melbourne City in January, previously at South Korean club Jeonbuk Motors for four years. Before that he saw a brief stint with Chinese side Jiangsu Suning, while also leading the Central Coast Mariners for seven years.

There has been a big transition for City over the years, as well as a name change, they now have their own private training ground and academy. Beforehand, training varied from having preparations at Epping and Bundoora during the week.

When Wilkinson set foot at CFA (City Football Academy), he said it was an easy decision because of how advanced they were, comparatively to what he saw in the K-League, which was still chasing.

“It’s really about creating a no excuse environment. The players have everything they need here and it gives them every chance to perform on match day,” Wilkinson said.

“A lot of other clubs in South Korea and in Asia in general don’t have anything near with what they have here. It’s fantastic, perfect pitches, great setups for your time off the pitch.

“It’s first class, been really impressed. Before I came here I spoke to a couple of the boys and the coaching staff and they all reiterated how good the setup is here.

“To see it now is brilliant, I was quite lucky in South Korea, Jeonbuk had a similar setup.”

Wilkinson also believes the resources can help spur him back into the national team.

“It gives you the environment to perform at your best and that always helps,” he said.

“If you play well and perform at your best you’re always going to have a chance to get selected in the Socceroos.”

http://outside90.com/melbourne-city-facilities-more-advanced-compared-to-clubs-in-asia-wilkinson322/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Nate said:

faaaaaaaaaark, he's the reason we actually look good defensively now so hopefully he just misses the Wellington game.

Mate.. all games are crucial at this pointy end. This is bad news to us.. As if Ange is purposely trying to sabotage our club being an ex Victree manager.. f@#K!

3 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

At least Chapman (and Hughes to an extent) is fit but whether he'll be completely match-fit could be questionable.

But how good is it that Chapman who was probably our best defender until he was injured can come in. Its the first time we've had real depth for our CBs

• Like 1

Meh, it's the by-product of being a title contender.

If you're a good A-League team, it's highly likely that you'll have players pushing for Socceroos selection. Gives both Chapman and Hughes an opportunity to get back in and they would both be well aware that unless they play very well, they're automatics to be dropped from the starting lineup.

Forgive my ignorance, but what if he doesn't make the final team, given the games are being played in Australia? I assume he's still unavailable for us?

Good point by Tony Adams...it's a great result for us long-term (as in, Wilkinson re-signing), as he now knows that playing in the A-League is no barrier to being selected in the green and gold.

11 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Meh, it's the by-product of being a title contender.

If you're a good A-League team, it's highly likely that you'll have players pushing for Socceroos selection. Gives both Chapman and Hughes an opportunity to get back in and they would both be well aware that unless they play very well, they're automatics to be dropped from the starting lineup.

Forgive my ignorance, but what if he doesn't make the final team, given the games are being played in Australia? I assume he's still unavailable for us?

Good point by Tony Adams...it's a great result for us long-term (as in, Wilkinson re-signing), as he now knows that playing in the A-League is no barrier to being selected in the green and gold.

...and will probably want more to re-sign with us for next season, putting pressure on the salary cap.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Boys on fox saying rumour is Mariners are going to make a big play for Wilkinson for next year.

We need to make the bloke our best offer as our No 1 defender. 

If he wants to keep playing for the Socceroos, like he is now as a Melbourne City player, then I don't think he'll go to the Mariners.

By all accounts Wilko has been very impressed by Melbourne City's training base, resources and team (he said he's happy he doesn't have to play against Fornaroli [in itself a smart career move for every defender]). I'd say that unless an A-League team offers him marquee money, the only realistic challenges to us re-signing Wilko won't come from Australia.

Edited by Murfy1

WIlkinson, Malik, Fitzgerald and Caceres have been great improvements on those who departed. It will be tough to juggle everything so we can keep everyone, but it would be a big loss if we lose Wilko. He has steadied the whole defence.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, R410 said:

I have heard he has recently been taken into custody and believed to be the main suspect in some recent missing persons cases. These people include Bersart Berisha, Bruce Djite and Jamie Mcclaren.

Yeah and the evidence is very much stacked up against him. All of those people were found in his back pocket...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Mariners table City defender Alex Wilkinson $300,000 multi-year contract

11 April 2016

David Davutovic

A TUG OF WAR has emerged for the services of Melbourne City defender Alex Wilkinson, with Central Coast and Sydney FC circling.

The Mariners, Wilkinson’s former club who also attempted to sign him in February, tabled him a multi-year offer a month ago understood to be in excess of $300,000-a-season.

Central Coast are the only club to have made a formal offer, although City would like to keep Wilkinson and has verbally indicated what they can offer, believed to be less than the Mariners’.

Wilkinson, who’s played a key role in solidifying City’s defence since arriving in February, signed a short-term deal and is among a host of players whose futures are uncertain heading into Sunday’s elimination final.

Captain Patrick Kisnorbo, Aaron Hughes, Nick Fitzgerald, Michael Zullo, James Brown, Wade Dekker, Dean Bouzanis, Marc Marino and Jason Trifiro are off contract while Anthony Caceres’ loan from Manchester City ceases.

Young quartet Connor Chapman, Jacob Melling, Jack Clisby and Paulo Retre signed contract extensions in January, while City are in discussions with a number of players from rival clubs with an eye on next season.

Sydney FC coach Graham Arnold is keen on Wilkinson for next season as he aims to revitalise the squad after a disappointing season, although the Sky Blues have yet to make an offer.

The exit Senegalese defender Jacques Faty from Sydney was confirmed yesterday, and he’s rumoured to be joining the Mariners.

Wilkinson, 31, has enjoyed his time in Melbourne however his young family has remained in Sydney, meaning a move north remains a strong possibility.

The Mariners are understood to have made their offer just before the Socceroos’ recent World Cup qualifiers, where Wilkinson received a late call up.

Mariners chief executive Shaun Mielekamp refused to discuss Wilkinson specifically but confirmed they were keen to bolster their squad after finishing last this season with a youthful side.

“We are heavily pursuing experience players in the market to ensure we make a massive impact next season,’’ Mielekamp said.

Meanwhile Football Federation Australia confirmed that the top tier of the AAMI Park stands will be open for Sunday’s elimination final between City and Glory.

The top tier has just been open once for a non-derby City home game, for David Villa’s home debut in Round 2 of last season.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/mariners-table-city-defender-alex-wilkinson-300000-multiyear-contract/news-story/4133639f9bc785bfd10f69db82dcb243