Melbourne Football

Wednesday 23rd Brisbane away

MHFC-FAN

@citypool Maybe we can start some pre-match discussion here! I'm interested to see what PK does to cover the absences of Maclaren, Metcalfe and Tilio. We haven't seen Raphael for a while, but IMO he's the logical replacement in the centre, although I suspect PK might start Cola there. Does Bos replace Tilio or do we see Endoh with his first start? - I don't know enough about either to know. And I haven't a clue as to Metcalfe's replacement. I haven't seen Lesiotis' name for a while, and I can't see Pucci coming in from whatever pasture he's been put out to graze on.

IMO PK's substitution "policy" could count against us here. Not enough minutes in enough legs.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@citypool Maybe we can start some pre-match discussion here! I'm interested to see what PK does to cover the absences of Maclaren, Metcalfe and Tilio. We haven't seen Raphael for a while, but IMO he's the logical replacement in the centre, although I suspect PK might start Cola there. Does Bos replace Tilio or do we see Endoh with his first start? - I don't know enough about either to know. And I haven't a clue as to Metcalfe's replacement. I haven't seen Lesiotis' name for a while, and I can't see Pucci coming in from whatever pasture he's been put out to graze on.

IMO PK's substitution "policy" could count against us here. Not enough minutes in enough legs.

Could we play Nabbout as striker with Cols and Bos on the wings? 

Metcalfe replacemt is an interesting one. Do we go more defensive with Gomulka or Griffiths there? Or do we go more attacking and give Endoh a real crack? 

• Like 1

I think, PK, will play Cola for Maclaren, Gomulka for Metcalfe and either Bos or Raphael for Tilio.

I would play Nabbout central, Cola and Endoh wide and play Griffiths holding and push Oneil into Metcalfes role.

It's almost perfect game for fringe players to demand a spot, similar to last season. And who knows a couple might emerge from dungeon and actually prove to PK they can play. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Could we play Nabbout as striker with Cols and Bos on the wings? 

Metcalfe replacemt is an interesting one. Do we go more defensive with Gomulka or Griffiths there? Or do we go more attacking and give Endoh a real crack? 

He might just copy the WU we had the same players out then.

Gomulka for Melcalfe, Cola for JMAC and Bos on the wing.

34 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

He might just copy the WU we had the same players out then.

Gomulka for Melcalfe, Cola for JMAC and Bos on the wing.

Yeah that would be the likely situation. Not really sold on Gomulka atm. Cola really needs a goal for his confidence and to get more/consistent minutes off the bench 

Just now, haz said:

I think we need to bring Bos back into the Xi. He had the x-factor the 2-3 games he played before disappearing off the face of the earth.

Agree, he looked promising. 

Even Endohs 10 mins or whatever it was ,for me looked good.

I'm not convinced Raphael is ready yet, Bos has something. 

This game is set up for Cola.

How far away is Leckie, maybe he might be a sniff.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Agree, he looked promising. 

Even Endohs 10 mins or whatever it was ,for me looked good.

I'm not convinced Raphael is ready yet, Bos has something. 

This game is set up for Cola.

How far away is Leckie, maybe he might be a sniff.

Definitely would like to see Bos given another run on the wing as he was looking threatening quite some moons ago... 

Would also like to see Endoh given at least 60min.

Nabbout has to pull his thumb out as he hasn't scored in the past 12 games!! 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, haz said:

I think we need to bring Bos back into the Xi. He had the x-factor the 2-3 games he played before disappearing off the face of the earth.

Agree, Bos and Tilio are both willing to run at players and back themselves, however, what they often lack in that situation is support, other players moving into attacking positions. 

35 minutes ago, citypool said:

This is a potential banana slip game. Brisbane don’t have a sexy team on paper but they can win.

I’d play nabbout striker for sure. Maybe a certain Italian can play as well?

Yep definitely could slip up here with a weaker team and away from home. Brisbane has won their last 2 and will be fairly confident. 

We have to win to keep the pressure on western generics and hope victory flog them tomorrow night also. 

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I thought that we were observing the international breaks this season? Or is it next season? Or was it supposed to be this season but the fixture has been affected by COVID? 

I'm thoroughly confused now.

Irrespective there needs to be a cap in place how many players a team needs to release to the Socceroos, that is if the club competition isn’t suspended during the international window.

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Irrespective there needs to be a cap in place how many players a team needs to release to the Socceroos, that is if the club competition isn’t suspended during the international window.

Agree. Should be capped at 2-3 maximum. Or 1 from each position. Forward - midfield - defence/goalkeeper 

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I thought that we were observing the international breaks this season? Or is it next season? Or was it supposed to be this season but the fixture has been affected by COVID? 

I'm thoroughly confused now.

option 3 was my understanding but could be wrong.  also doesnt help having two finals bound teams in the ACL group stage.

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

1 minute ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Agree. Should be capped at 2-3 maximum. Or 1 from each position. Forward - midfield - defence/goalkeeper 

completely understand and agree but no easy fix - people will be unhappy one way or the other (if only we had player x playing but for the number max, etc).  FFA have to make a decision one way or another.  

4 hours ago, citypool said:

Interesting the fall out on social media on City not releasing Curtis Good, despite him not being on the initial list of 50 players.

People who take a dig at City seem to forget we’ve got 4 players with the Socceroos already and that the league is not being suspended.

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Interesting the fall out on social media on City not releasing Curtis Good, despite him not being on the initial list of 50 players.

People who take a dig at City seem to forget we’ve got 4 players with the Socceroos already and that the league is not being suspended.

Well, apart from Maclaren, Nabbout, Leckie, Atkinson, Tilio and Metcalfe, what has Melbourne City's men's team ever done for the Socceroos this WC campaign?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Well, apart from Maclaren, Nabbout, Leckie, Atkinson, Tilio and Metcalfe, what has Melbourne City's men's team ever done for the Socceroos this WC campaign?

Melbourne City has delivered most players of any club this campaign.

Do we agree with the statement that the club is selfish and that Melbourne City doesn’t care about the Socceroos by not releasing Curtis Good to a 23 man squad?

I'm real 50-50 on the Good situation. It makes sense for us not to release him in the current situation we're in, but also we're denying him the chance to represent his country, and you never know he gets to play, he does well and we somehow make it to Qatar. He could be off to a world cup. 

At the end of the day, we should have international breaks or at the very least let anyone with over 2 or 3 players picked postpone their game if they wish to

• Like 1

Good may not want to play anyway? Of the  City squad, it appears that he suffered the most with COVID. Maybe he doesn't want to risk another infection?

Irrespective, what this situation illustrates is that we have to rejig our season and observe the international breaks. I don't think the League can prosper until we have a longer season, play more matches, and observe the various breaks. IMO the number of players that a club loses is irrelevant - even one is enough - and the only matches that should go ahead are those where neither side is losing a player to a national team. I thought that this was the sort of thing that APL wanted control for. Instead it has become side-tracked by political correctness.

I've given it a good go on Twitter vs a couple who've had a crack at City for not releasing Good. Muppets there clearly hste City and/or don't understand we've already got four on duty already, others injured, and have to complete our season two weeks early. Even so it's still give us all your players, don't care who plays for you at the weekend. Never mind that Melbourne fans never get to see the national side anyway, especially in a big game. They can all fuck off.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I've given it a good go on Twitter vs a couple who've had a crack at City for not releasing Good. Muppets there clearly hste City and/or don't understand we've already got four on duty already, others injured, and have to complete our season two weeks early. Even so it's still give us all your players, don't care who plays for you at the weekend. Never mind that Melbourne fans never get to see the national side anyway, especially in a big game. They can all fuck off.

I'm unsure about this. It's not a good look. What I'm sure of is that FA and APL should have sorted this all out before it came down to individual clubs and individual players. Once more "soccer" shoots itself in the foot.

42 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm unsure about this. It's not a good look. What I'm sure of is that FA and APL should have sorted this all out before it came down to individual clubs and individual players. Once more "soccer" shoots itself in the foot.

Well first of all international breaks or at least suspend the league games affected by the national team solves everything. They have a list of 50 players to choose from, yet want to outside this list?

I fully support the club, enough is enough. Curtis Good isn’t going to make a difference, it’s only one game anyway as for the next one players have returned.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/soccer/rogic-set-to-miss-socceroos-wc-qualifiers-c-6156630

“City say they weren't contacted until Monday regarding the defender's availability by which time they had already agreed to send four players with the Socceroos.

"In accordance with FIFA requirements, and in support of the national team, Melbourne City FC have released four first choice players into the final Socceroos squad for the current international window ," the club said in a statement provided to AAP.

"Football Australia, anticipating the impact of COVID-19, issued a larger than usual extended squad. The original list included seven Melbourne City FC players. However, Curtis Good was not included in that extended squad.”

I’m looking forward to some mid week football and let’s hope the subs can take back the 3 points. It’s been a bit and hit miss for us Brisbane away.

11 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

With the Good situation my only worry is about Good himself ie if he will now be a little pissed off with the club for denying him a Socceroos call up

He always seems a no fuzz and excellent club servant. He might be even more upset that he wasn’t even part of the list of 50 (I would be).

6 hours ago, Mr MO said:

"Football Australia, anticipating the impact of COVID-19, issued a larger than usual extended squad. The original list included seven Melbourne City FC players. However, Curtis Good was not included in that extended squad.”

This is interesting. 7 players on our list that could be in a Socceroos top 50 and doesn't include Good leaves you with Maclaren, Leckie, Tilio, Metcalfe, Nabbout who are obvious, and the rest have to come from Glover, Griffiths, Jamieson, Galloway and O'Neill. I'm assuming it is Glover and O'Neill, although our fullbacks probably aren't as far off as we think considering Joel King is getting a run there, and Glover being involved would be baffling seeing as Sutton has been preferred to him of late

3 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

This is interesting. 7 players on our list that could be in a Socceroos top 50 and doesn't include Good leaves you with Maclaren, Leckie, Tilio, Metcalfe, Nabbout who are obvious, and the rest have to come from Glover, Griffiths, Jamieson, Galloway and O'Neill. I'm assuming it is Glover and O'Neill, although our fullbacks probably aren't as far off as we think considering Joel King is getting a run there, and Glover being involved would be baffling seeing as Sutton has been preferred to him of late

Yeah my guess would be Nabbout, Glover and O’Neill too.

15 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Since when do you need a squad of 50 players for 2 games.

I get the importance, but seriously, 30 blokes 100% would not be considered. 

Name your squad of 16 to 20 with okay max another 6 train on emergencies. 

Hey 51 players not 50, don’t you forget Curtis Good now. Haha.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Since when do you need a squad of 50 players for 2 games.

I get the importance, but seriously, 30 blokes 100% would not be considered. 

Name your squad of 16 to 20 with okay max another 6 train on emergencies. 

Give or take the various visa players, overseas-based Aussies etc., 50 must be around 20% of the A-League players who could possibly play for the NT... 

In the email the club sent out this season the main story is a match preview for tonight, the issue is it links to a match preview from May last year, not super helpful. 

Think Endoh might start tonight. PK actually seems open to playing him (I know two late sub appearances don't really count but they're more than what Puciarelli got), and he seems to have pedigree in two of the positions we have vacancies in (plus in his sub appearances has appeared to play a more CM role so make that three). 

Unsure if Colakovski will get a start after his horror performance in the derby. Would like Bos to start on the left wing as he was great there last time. Think O'Neill might push up into Metcalfe's role giving Griffiths a start. 

Expecting something like:

Glover

Jenkinson    Reis      Good     Jamieson

Griffiths

Berenguer       O'Neill

Nabbout                                    Bos

Endoh 

What I'd like:

Glover

Jenkinson    Reis      Good     Jamieson

O'Neill

Berenguer        Endoh