Melbourne Football

RD 18 City travel again to face the FFA Jerks

Dylan

I think also the issue is that we have players that overrate their own skill and think they have the dribbling skills of Messi, then leave holes in out defence which then gets exploited when they lose possession.

Which is also a product of our high pressing tactic and formation .

Hopefully JVS can pull a rabbit out of his hat for this game, or maybe just be sensible about it.

11 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I know. It was happening last season as well. They pressure him to move forward by arching their run at him from the side forcing him to take the ball forward into open space. It was amusing at the open training day when my old man made his feelings clear to a few employees of the club that next season we need two new centre backs. Lets just say them saying that that's why we have Hughes in there for cover didn't go down well. Next season both Kinsorbo and Hughes need to be gone. Let's see how Wlikinson goes, I'm pretty optimistic about him though, and if he performs well ensure we keep him on for next season. Then use a spot on a quality visa central defender. And not some 35 year old washed up ex international. 

I think it's a foregone conclusion that both Hughes and Paddy won't be here next season

22 minutes ago, japiedog said:

I think it's a foregone conclusion that both Hughes and Paddy won't be here next season

Disagree. Paddy is probably still our most reliable defender. I think he'll get another year, however may not retain the captaincy.

Hughes almost certainly gone, although if he had a Del Pierre like impact on the run home he could get a stay. Extremely unlikely I'd say.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

I think also the issue is that we have players that overrate their own skill and think they have the dribbling skills of Messi, then leave holes in out defence which then gets exploited when they lose possession.

Hopefully JVS can pull a rabbit out of his hat for this game, or maybe just be sensible about it.

There is nothing wrong with that, but because the midfield is so static, there is no backup when the ball is lost and uselessly our transition is poor. 

15 hours ago, belaguttman said:

niko I think that 2 things contribute to our high ball turnover: the first is poor technique just like you've described but its also poor technique receiving the ball. The second factor is poor movement off the ball, either running into a space to receive the ball or making a run to create space for another player to receive the ball. A side-effect of this is that we lose shape and cohesion going forward. 'Shape' isn't a static concept, its a dynamic thing around where layers are in relation to each other, the ball and the goal.

There is also the defensive aspect, as I eluded to, the personnel at the moment seem to ball chase, but if the movement was good, we could have 2 - 3 players pressing instantly from loosing possession. At the moment most times the player is isolated. Football is a lot about overloading (both in attack and defence), it gives you the advantage of personnel.

Sure some players are not great with passing and decisions, it is up to the coach to train movement to compensate, or to add value.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2016 at 10:31 PM, belaguttman said:

niko I think that 2 things contribute to our high ball turnover: the first is poor technique just like you've described but its also poor technique receiving the ball. The second factor is poor movement off the ball, either running into a space to receive the ball or making a run to create space for another player to receive the ball. A side-effect of this is that we lose shape and cohesion going forward. 'Shape' isn't a static concept, its a dynamic thing around where layers are in relation to each other, the ball and the goal.

I'm 100% certain we've said this every season JVS has been in charge.  I agree with you but i refuse to believe that our players technique can be so much worse than other A-League players over so many years.  Its JVS.

11 hours ago, playmaker said:

JVs encourages players to "express themselves", to "play without fear".  His words.  Which is why they attempt things which are beyond their ability.

Players not providing options off the ball is an issue that along with comical defending is in JVS's DNA.

8 hours ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

I'm 100% certain we've said this every season JVS has been in charge.  I agree with you but i refuse to believe that our players technique can be so much worse than other A-League players over so many years.  Its JVS.

JVs encourages players to "express themselves", to "play without fear".  His words.  Which is why they attempt things which are beyond their ability.

Players not providing options off the ball is an issue that along with comical defending is in JVS's DNA.

He should encourage players to express themselves and play without fear, that's when you get the Mooy's of the game playing brilliant (whilst others make mistakes, but that is ok, they should learn what works). But there is a time and a place for it, we don't need our CB playing through balls or long balls. FIFA review of the last world cup found that teams that played direct (long ball) went out early, where teams that played on the deck went the furthest, same as qualifying.

Our comical defending has to do more with our midfield than the actual defence, the defenders are the last line, we need to stop relying on the end product and prevent a team getting into positions that penetrate the defence. That is why 4213 is effective, it provides cover for out of position players and should prevent them getting anywhere near the defence (in a perfect world), but with proper transition and positioning, it can also create low chances of scoring, or preferably a turnover.

• Like 1