Melbourne Football

Saturday 19th March v Victory

malloy

for me i joined this forum years ago (with my stupid username) I only follow melbourne city I don’t follow afl or European leagues.

The clubs have a made a stupid decision not to release the ins and outs before a match each week. Then you add in the lack of media coverage there’s nothing for us to talk about.

atm we should be talking about the Wednesday night match against Brisbane and who’s gonna replace mclaren 

Edited by citypool
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, citypool said:

for me i joined this forum years ago (with my stupid username) I only follow melbourne city I don’t follow afl or European leagues.

The clubs have a made a stupid decision not to release the ins and outs before a match each week. Then you add in the lack of media coverage there’s nothing for us to talk about.

atm we should be talking about the Wednesday night match against Brisbane and who’s gonna replace mclaren 

And Metcalfe and Tilio as well.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, citypool said:

Good point and case in point. Didn't even think about Jmac not being there. 

On 23/03/2022 at 11:12 AM, bt50 said:

I can only speak for myself, but i can say that anecdotally ive heard this replicated many times over, but i cbf'd with this forum most of the time anymore because it is predominantly an endless stream of negativity.
Robust debate is fine and encouraged, but honestly theres a few key players here that constantly whinge with zero comprehension of perspective and balance. No one wants wants rainbows and butterflies all the time either, but it just seems that its never sunny in this place.

Totally agree.

I considered myself one of the more 'positive' peeps towards the team, but i got to the point where i realised most of my posts were fiery responses to just what i considered, was unnecessary and over the top negative whinging. To the point where i felt i was in a shit mood after visiting the forum. So i just had to disengage.

In addition though, i believe it surely us reflection of the current environment of our local game. I thought the channel 10 deal was a breath of fresh air. But soon it turned to shit, with constant rescheduled games, minimal comms, etc - gosh it became very difficult to re-engage.

Oh that and having to listening to Teo commentate made me feel like sticking my head in a microwave.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, rass said:

Totally agree.

I considered myself one of the more 'positive' peeps towards the team, but i got to the point where i realised most of my posts were fiery responses to just what i considered, was unnecessary and over the top negative whinging. To the point where i felt i was in a shit mood after visiting the forum. So i just had to disengage.

In addition though, i believe it surely us reflection of the current environment of our local game. I thought the channel 10 deal was a breath of fresh air. But soon it turned to shit, with constant rescheduled games, minimal comms, etc - gosh it became very difficult to re-engage.

Oh that and having to listening to Teo commentate made me feel like sticking my head in a microwave.

I would often steer clear of the forum for two or three days after a loss, both for the sake of my own mental health and the cess pool of hot takes that usually follow a loss haha.
Easier to distract yourself with something else and then deal with the fallout of a loss with a clear head a few days later haha.

• Like 2

On 23/03/2022 at 11:12 AM, bt50 said:

I can only speak for myself, but i can say that anecdotally ive heard this replicated many times over, but i cbf'd with this forum most of the time anymore because it is predominantly an endless stream of negativity.
Robust debate is fine and encouraged, but honestly theres a few key players here that constantly whinge with zero comprehension of perspective and balance. No one wants wants rainbows and butterflies all the time either, but it just seems that its never sunny in this place.

Agree with this.

I'm now a more casual fan than I was in the past, but still check in on the forum. Some of the vitriol this season has astounded me, especially considering the position the team now finds themselves in. Maybe I'm missing something because I'm not watching as many games, but if you only read what people posted on here I daresay you'd think we were battling for the wooden spoon. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I would often steer clear of the forum for two or three days after a loss, both for the sake of my own mental health and the cess pool of hot takes that usually follow a loss haha.
Easier to distract yourself with something else and then deal with the fallout of a loss with a clear head a few days later haha.

Ironically we've only lost 3 games for the season, so it shouldn't have been so bad.

Mind you most of the draws felt like losses.

Regardless I think this little positive reset recently was what the forum needed.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Ironically we've only lost 3 games for the season, so it shouldn't have been so bad.

Regardless I think this little positive reset recently was what the forum needed.

And of course there’s more than just the games itself which people can disagree on or get upset about contrasting opinions - the move to Casey is one who comes to mind!

Edited by Mr MO

21 minutes ago, Jovan said:

IMO the recent "reset" was really because for the first time for quite a while we had something to discuss - namely for the Brisbane match who was going to replace the players called up for NT duty, followed by opinions on the performances of those players who stepped up. Lady Fortune herself stepped up to give us the win, and it's gone on from there.

Good stuff.

48 minutes ago, marn11 said:

Agree with this.

I'm now a more casual fan than I was in the past, but still check in on the forum. Some of the vitriol this season has astounded me, especially considering the position the team now finds themselves in. Maybe I'm missing something because I'm not watching as many games, but if you only read what people posted on here I daresay you'd think we were battling for the wooden spoon. 

Have you looked at Facebook at times or try a European club forum. This forum is easy.

I guess everybody experiences and lives the game differently of course but the main difference with recent years is the expectation to win every game and to be the best in the country. 

We’ve gone past the “if we win we win” attitude. For example I get more upset now with coughing up points than in the Heart days!

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

Couldn't agree more with @bt50 and @rass. It seemed to me that threads would often circle back to some certain negative points, no matter the relevance. I'm sure the underwhelming first season under APL and 10/Paramount+ has also played a part.

Not sure if it's just me, but I've found that generally the internet and social media have been more negative over the past 2 years.

• Like 2

I don't think the forum is as negative as some people feel it is. However we are all baffled by the lack of substitutes during the match as we all remember Joyce's belief in not subbing players; and the lack of rotation considering that the team has been playing two or three games a week on occasions. And of course the expectations are higher now than when Aloisi was coaching :)

BTW I visit Celtic fan forums because Ange is coaching them and unless they are winning 3-0 then it's the end of the world.

• Like 1

Negativity is likely a lot about what's outside as much as inside. Paramount has been poor, match scheduling has been a nightmare, and there have been numerous league organisational foot in mouth moments. Lack of international breaks and trying to cram a season into three months have been hard going. Then for me the lack of atmosphere at matches because of poor attendances due to all of the above. Inside the club it's been about a nagging sense that we could and should have been better, so many draws that should have been wins, and fucking WU being top of the league playing boring as batshit football. But yes, we're top, we'll go pretty close if not achieve back to back, we're in ACL and we're not Victory flogs. That win last night turned out to be big and heroic, and built on another crop of promising youngsters.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Negativity is likely a lot about what's outside as much as inside. Paramount has been poor, match scheduling has been a nightmare, and there have been numerous league organisational foot in mouth moments. Lack of international breaks and trying to cram a season into three months have been hard going. Then for me the lack of atmosphere at matches because of poor attendances due to all of the above. Inside the club it's been about a nagging sense that we could and should have been better, so many draws that should have been wins, and fucking WU being top of the league playing boring as batshit football. But yes, we're top, we'll go pretty close if not achieve back to back, we're in ACL and we're not Victory flogs. That win last night turned out to be big and heroic, and built on another crop of promising youngsters.

Nah the negativity is more so aimed at me being a dick with very high expectations! I take full blame and will pull my head in to be better.

Times have changed in general, it made me nostalgic- remembering the days when match voting on the worst player on the pitch was acceptable. We also had the pleasure with the likes of Playmaker, Strider and Essendon//Heart roaming the forums, I wonder what happened to them.

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Nah the negativity is more so aimed at me being a dick with very high expectations! I take full blame and will pull my head in to be better.

Times have changed in general, it made me nostalgic- remembering the days when match voting on the worst player on the pitch was acceptable. We also had the pleasure with the likes of Playmaker, Strider and Essendon//Heart roaming the forums, I wonder what happened to them.

I think there's a few of us had some negative moments in the last few months. The world's a difficult place at the moment and that has an effect on all of us. I've seen the forum of my home town club in the UK. If you want bleak, I'd recommend it. Makes this place seem like a Buddhist commune...

• Like 5