Melbourne Football

Wednesday 9th March vs Macarthur KO 7:05pm

kingofhearts

39 minutes ago, citymad said:

You mean the player who was heavily marked, got 3 Tobin points, had 4 shots, 12 duels and completed a 93% passing accuracy??? That Metcalfe? Or is there another one i'm not seeing?

I think you have a man crush on him you talk about him that much 😄

Yes that’s him.

42 minutes ago, n i k o said:

No matter hid ups and downs, Metcalfe certainly has an x factor about him. Reminds me of Mooy the way he uses his body strength when duelling for the ball.

Last night was one of the most enjoyable games I've watched is play in a while. 

That's exactly what we were discussing last night - the ups and downs, not just about one game, this game or one half.

Last season there seemed to be more consistency and end product (goals and assist tally). Hopefuly a change of scenery will accelerate his development in Europe, He's already 22 which isn't young anymore nowadays - the level in Europe in that age bracket is just high.

Metcalfe just didn't start well last night (when I made my comment) but recovered as the game continued. Even early in the second half some final balls missed targets but he always gives it 100% intensitity.

As Citymad was quick to come out with Alex ''points for trying'' Tobin awards (Not the same metrics as Dolan Warren) and the statistics for this particular game - this wasn't necessary the discussion as it was more intendend and aimed towards the course of the season. 

But here's how I would look at suchs stats for game improvement;

4 shots but only 1 target?
90% passing accuracy perhaps from sideways or easy passing but the final and most important pass is the 10% 
12 duels involvement but how many succesfully won for the team to continue playing ? 

It's the end result what matters for a forward facing midfielder, Europe can be ruthless.

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

That's exactly what we were discussing last night - the ups and downs, not just about one game, this game or one half.

Last season there seemed to be more consistency and end product (goals and assist tally). Hopefuly a change of scenery will accelerate his development in Europe, He's already 22 which isn't young anymore nowadays - the level in Europe in that age bracket is just high.

Metcalfe just didn't start well last night (when I made my comment) but recovered as the game continued. Even early in the second half some final balls missed targets but he always gives it 100% intensitity.

As Citymad was quick to come out with Alex ''points for trying'' Tobin awards (Not the same metrics as Dolan Warren) and the statistics for this particular game - this wasn't necessary the discussion as it was more intendend and aimed towards the course of the season. 

But here's how I would look at suchs stats for game improvement;

4 shots but only 1 target?
90% passing accuracy perhaps from sideways or easy passing but the final and most important pass is the 10% 
12 duels involvement but how many succesfully won for the team to continue playing ? 

It's the end result what matters for a forward facing midfielder, Europe can be ruthless.

He's got a lot to improve on. You raise a good but interesting point about his age. He is 22. But when I look at him his body still reminds me of someone that's 18. He still looks like he has a lot of development to go. This is purely speculative opinion. But I'd guess he may follow Mooys footsteps in that his peak will occur later in his football life rather than earlier. 

5 hours ago, n i k o said:

He's got a lot to improve on. You raise a good but interesting point about his age. He is 22. But when I look at him his body still reminds me of someone that's 18. He still looks like he has a lot of development to go. This is purely speculative opinion. But I'd guess he may follow Mooys footsteps in that his peak will occur later in his football life rather than earlier. 

He’s had a growth issue, well not really an big issue but I remember reading an article that he joined the City academy from Newcastle, he was too short and other teams doubted the ability but City took him in based on footballing quality. He was monitored closely on diet etc and then massive growth spurt.

Edited by Mr MO

Denis Law was 14, weak, puny, and wore thick spectacles to correct a squint when he went for a trial at Huddersfield Town. To his surprise Town signed him, and he became one of the greatest footballers ever to play the game.

I wonder whether what you see with Metcalfe is just a reflection of the whole City squad being under the par set last season? We're not quite the dominating side that we were. We're conceding sloppy goals and missing gettable chances. St. Pauli clearly see his potential and are prepared to take a chance with him.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Denis Law was 14, weak, puny, and wore thick spectacles to correct a squint when he went for a trial at Huddersfield Town. To his surprise Town signed him, and he became one of the greatest footballers ever to play the game.

I wonder whether what you see with Metcalfe is just a reflection of the whole City squad being under the par set last season? We're not quite the dominating side that we were. We're conceding sloppy goals and missing gettable chances. St. Pauli clearly see his potential and are prepared to take a chance with him.

Perhaps it is really down to that there isn’t any real competition in the squad this year - there certainly was last season in midfield.

Edited by Mr MO