Melbourne Football

22nd Feb vs CCM

kingofhearts

40 minutes ago, rass said:

Not sure if it's a total fake but do think there is something behind this, especially the exaggerated fall after the 'contact'.

Remember, isn't this the same bloke who 20 minutes earlier was laying dead inside the goals after a bump with Tilio, with one arm severed and the other shoulder completely busted? Held the game up for minutes only to magically return to take a throw in seconds after? Looks a tough guy but not so sure after the way Hercules Berenguer fended him off for our great 2nd goal.

Something not adding up...

Fully agreed

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Having said all of that, we should be good enough to put ourselves two or three goals ahead and not concede soft goals to our opponents, so that such issues don't have a material impact.

IMO the most important comment that's been made all season. 

7 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Having said all of that, we should be good enough to put ourselves two or three goals ahead and not concede soft goals to our opponents, so that such issues don't have a material impact.

Two shots on target, two goals. That is not good for the team leading the competition. We'll get smashed in ACL playing teams with both a better attack and a better defence than ALM teams

7 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Aidan O’Neill had one hell of a shiner. The fight would have been stopped I reckon. Going to need a good cut man to get him back in the ring I mean field for the weekend.

I think he is out regardless, accumulation of yellows. 

• Thanks 1

On 23/02/2022 at 10:13 AM, Tommykins said:

Was probably a penalty, ours probably wasn't (IMO) it's annoying when these things happen in the same game, but ultimately these things even themselves out across the season.

On 23/02/2022 at 11:07 AM, n i k o said:

Our penalty i think has some merit. I think Tilio tried to keep his balance after the first tackle and then very possibly got caught in the follow up once he had entered the box. 

On 23/02/2022 at 11:14 AM, Jovan said:

But thats only really clear after endless reviews. 

If you watch it in real time its 100% a foul and cleary outside the box.

The argument that Tilio rode the tackle and then was fouled again is debatable. 

For me it was a bad call, but the game is full of bad calls.

The Leckie non foul call was the real bad call. And what made it worse was the time it took. 

bad call or not, the referee has the right to defend his call unless the VAR is crystal.  in this spot, there is some evidence (even if very tiny) that there was secondary contact in the box.  if the ref believes that was key to the foul, then the ref is entitled to call a pen (even if it looked bullshit to most others).

in a way, Evans should be applauded for backing his call since the use of VAR can be tedious and the freeze frame nature for so many unclear spots is really taking away from the game.

IMO the Mariners can feel a little hard done by.  this really was a double whammy.  as others have said though, this is what happens when you play act and every team has had good days and bad days with the VAR.